The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

[how to avoid malloc errors]

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Getting_.22Malloc_Failure_for_.23.23.23.23.23.23.23.22_crash-to-desktop

The

seta image_downSizeBump "1"

seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"

-method should reduce mem usage by few hundred megabytes. Could make all the difference.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Is there a way I can improve the image quality of my skybox?

My exported tga files are not the problem I think... The image looks much better in DR (when I put the camera inside my skybox) than it does in game:

Skybox as seen in DR:

post-29566-0-02861900-1389030314_thumb.jpg

And in game:

post-29566-0-53839100-1389030317_thumb.jpg

I'm not too fussed about the trees and landscape -- after all, it's dark -- but the moon looks octagonal in game :-/ The sides of my cubemap are 900px. I'm using this texture declaration, if it helps:

textures/skies/custom/sky1
{
qer_editorimage   textures/custom/skies/sky1.tga
noFragment
noshadows
nooverlays
forceOpaque			// so transparent windows can draw on top of it
{
blend	  add	  // so transparent windows can draw on top of it
cameraCubeMap   env/custom/sky1
forceHighQuality
texgen	  skybox
texgen		 wobblesky .0 .0 .0
}
}

No idea about a such artifact... Could the moon distortion come from the moon graphic being at the corner of a cubic skybox room? That might be fixed by moving the moon into non-distorting position?

Clipper

After dmap has finished compiling The Dark Mod crashes and the log seems to show nothing

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 362):INI (INIT) FR: 0] LogFile created at 2014.01.06 09:03:16

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 365):INI (INIT) FR: 0] DLL last cleaned and rebuilt on Oct 5 2013 11:23:49

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 367):INI (INIT) FR: 0] The Dark Mod 2.00, code revision 5894

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 407):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogBegin: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 407):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogEnd: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 407):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogInfo: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 407):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogDebug: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 407):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogWarning: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 407):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogError: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_FRAME: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_SYSTEM: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_MISC: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_FROBBING: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_AI: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_SOUND: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_FUNCTION: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_ENTITY: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_INVENTORY: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_LIGHT: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_WEAPON: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_MATH: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_MOVEMENT: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_STIM_RESPONSE: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_OBJECTIVES: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_DIFFICULTY: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_CONVERSATION: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_MAINMENU: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_LOCKPICK: 0

[game\DarkModGlobals.cpp ( 417):FRC (FORCE) FR: 0] LogClass_AAS: 0

Previously I had this error and Grayman helped me out, eventually we figured out it was because I had merlons (those block thingys on the top of castle walls) that needed to be turned into func_statics and then have a monster clip over the top.

I can't figure out why the game crashes and it's rather frustrating :/

No idea about a such artifact... Could the moon distortion come from the moon graphic being at the corner of a cubic skybox room? That might be fixed by moving the moon into non-distorting position?

No, it's almost central already. I'll try a render with it dead central, but I think the problem is downsizing of the image. Everything in the skybox looks a bit "smudged" -- bigger pixels and a bit blurry.

After dmap has finished compiling The Dark Mod crashes and the log seems to show nothing

This happens at the end of dmap, or when you start up TDM?

You could try the "divide and conquer" method: cover half the map with a big block of caulk and re-dmap. Continue to do this until the problem goes away. At that point, the root cause of the problem lies in the map section you most recently covered with caulk.

This happens at the end of dmap, or when you start up TDM?

You could try the "divide and conquer" method: cover half the map with a big block of caulk and re-dmap. Continue to do this until the problem goes away. At that point, the root cause of the problem lies in the map section you most recently covered with caulk.

I will give that a try but basically I do the "dmap theaccountant" it goes through the whole dmap and then right at the end after the console pops down and TDM usually sticks for a few seconds it crashes then.

I will let you know if this divide and conquer method works. Thanks!

No, it's almost central already. I'll try a render with it dead central, but I think the problem is downsizing of the image. Everything in the skybox looks a bit "smudged" -- bigger pixels and a bit blurry.

Oh, if it comes from downsizing, do not let the game downsize it, but downsize it yourself in the image manipulation program. What is the resolution anyways? try 1024x1024 at maximum.

Clipper

Oh, if it comes from downsizing, do not let the game downsize it, but downsize it yourself in the image manipulation program. What is the resolution anyways? try 1024x1024 at maximum.

It's 900x900, the largest square you can render in Terragen 3 free edition. So it shouldn't need to be resized. I'm only guessing that that's what's happening... I don't know much about image manipulation.

Also for a slightly unrelated question is there a way to get dmap to go faster other than turning anti aliasing off?

I find it takes about 5-10 minutes to compile which is very painful when you want to test things out. As a temporary thing I just created a basic little test map then once I have what I need I just copy and paste it into my final map but yeah.

If I apply those monster clip brushes to everywhere that the guards cannot walk will that help?

It's 900x900, the largest square you can render in Terragen 3 free edition. So it shouldn't need to be resized. I'm only guessing that that's what's happening... I don't know much about image manipulation.

Ah, that is your problem!

The textures must be 512 or 1024. If you made that with terragen and it is 900x900, rescale them upwards to 1024x1024. Then they will prolly work. Textures in D3 must be in the power of 2, which 900x900 is not.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Texture_Guidelines

Clipper

Ah, that is your problem!

The textures must be 512 or 1024. If you made that with terragen and it is 900x900, rescale them upwards to 1024x1024. Then they will prolly work. Textures in D3 must be in the power of 2, which 900x900 is not.

http://wiki.thedarkm...ture_Guidelines

Wahey! That looks better!! Thanks for the help :) (and the tutorial...)

edit: ok great I got the problem sorted. There was a hidden wall that was cut incorrectly and I fixed it up. Must have missed it :)

Edited by Goldwell

How do I set speakers to utilize the narration slider in the menu settings?

I see s_music but no s_narration

Check LQD. The narration system is floating in the canyon of the starting area.

They used an unique entity, not speakers, IIRC. Search the wiki too, i remember finding the narration instructions in there.

Clipper

Check LQD. The narration system is floating in the canyon of the starting area.

They used an unique entity, not speakers, IIRC. Search the wiki too, i remember finding the narration instructions in there.

I will check out LQD and see what you used. But as for the wiki I don't think anything exists on it yet as that was my first place to turn to and it turns up 0 results

http://wiki.thedarkm...earch=narration

If memory serves me correct though when you released LQD the narration slider hadn't been implemented yet.. have you updated for the 2.0 release?

Edited by Goldwell

I will check out LQD and see what you used. But as for the wiki I don't think anything exists on it yet as that was my first place to turn to and it turns up 0 results

http://wiki.thedarkm...earch=narration

If memory serves me correct though when you released LQD the narration slider hadn't been implemented yet.. have you updated for the 2.0 release?

Hm. Maybe it took the instructions from the DR entity info box then?

Anyhow, the entity name is "atdm:voice"

Yep, narration slider did not work in LQD, but TDM was later updated so that it started to work without LQD update.

• Like 1

Clipper

Hm. Maybe it took the instructions from the DR entity info box then?

Anyhow, the entity name is "atdm:voice"

Yep, narration slider did not work in LQD, but TDM was later updated so that it started to work without LQD update.

Awesome! kiitos!! :)

Is there any reason why a trigger once won't work with physical contact but will work if its triggered through other means?

I have everything set correctly but I don't understand why it won't activate these speakers or atdm:voice

It works only with certain triggers/speakers with touch. But everything is copied and pasted only with name/sound changes :/

Is there any reason why a trigger once won't work with physical contact but will work if its triggered through other means?

I have everything set correctly but I don't understand why it won't activate these speakers or atdm:voice

It works only with certain triggers/speakers with touch. But everything is copied and pasted only with name/sound changes :/

Does the trigger once have spawnarg "notouch 1" set? Does the trigger have trigger texture?

It might be better to draw a new brush, right click and make it into a trigger_once, to get a fresh trigger. Should work.

Or maybe there is something wrong withe the voice entity. Test the trigger with a light to see it really works.

Clipper

Does the trigger once have spawnarg "notouch 1" set? Does the trigger have trigger texture?

It might be better to draw a new brush, right click and make it into a trigger_once, to get a fresh trigger. Should work.

Or maybe there is something wrong withe the voice entity. Test the trigger with a light to see it really works.

I targetted a street lamp but nothing happened. I have the notouch set to default (Which is 0) and I have tried creating just a nodraw block and then right clicking and create entity trigger_once.. I have also tried applying the texture and doing the same.

It's the strangest thing... it is layered out exactly the same as a different trigger_once which works when you walk into it. Things like this really make me scratch my head as technically it should work and there is nothing stopping it from not working. I have checked each and everyone of the settings too so I don't believe it is operator error :/

figured out the problem... the trigger_once HAS to be stuck into the ground... that just blows my mind but its nearly 1 pm and I haven't slept yet. Either way it fucking works now finally.

Going to go tear all my hair out! audios! :P Thanks for your help

Edited by Goldwell

Triggers don't have to be stuck in the ground. They work with bounding boxes, so if the player's bounding box intersects with the trigger's bounding box, the trigger will fire.

Something else must have been going on.

If you still have an older copy that doesn't work, you could PM it to me and I could look at it.

Is there a way to figure out why Dark Mod just crashes after dmapping if the issue isn't with world brushes?

I don't know how much more I can handle of this because I have spent all day dealing with just crashes and I have no idea why. I have done that divide and conquer method but I cannot pin point it down to just one thing and sometimes it does crash now other times it does not.