The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I had this issue several times when building Requiem. It always turned out to be a problem with brushwork not snapping to grid. The pause for a few seconds after dmapping is over is when dmap is compiling the AAS (to decide where the AI can go) and apparently unaligned brushwork can cause it to spazz out. Whenever I found the offending brushes and snapped them to grid (ctrl+G) the problem would go away. If you have func_statics made of brushes (especially those with angled geometry) I would revert them to worldspawn, snap them to grid, and then turn them back into FS too. I found that the best way to pinpoint the offending brushes was to find the earliest version of the map that didn't have the problem and then look at what brushes I had added in the subsequent version. Alternatively, start deleting big chunks of geometry (in a separate save obviously) until you don't get the crash anymore and that way you can track down what's causing the problem.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I had this issue several times when building Requiem. It always turned out to be a problem with brushwork not snapping to grid. The pause for a few seconds after dmapping is over is when dmap is compiling the AAS (to decide where the AI can go) and apparently unaligned brushwork can cause it to spazz out. Whenever I found the offending brushes and snapped them to grid (ctrl+G) the problem would go away. If you have func_statics made of brushes (especially those with angled geometry) I would revert them to worldspawn, snap them to grid, and then turn them back into FS too. I found that the best way to pinpoint the offending brushes was to find the earliest version of the map that didn't have the problem and then look at what brushes I had added in the subsequent version. Alternatively, start deleting big chunks of geometry (in a separate save obviously) until you don't get the crash anymore and that way you can track down what's causing the problem.

Oh damn... then I have a whole map full of things that need fixing. I know I read that we are meant to build on the grid but plenty of times I went off it to add little bits of detail here and there.. If that is the case then I am absolutely screwed :/

I am going to try fixing up a couple of things now but I hope I don't have to grid align everything.

I wouldn't be too worried, if these crashes started happening just recently, then that's because of recent brushwork. Just focus on new additions and you should be fine :-). Also, it's almost always going to be angled brushes, so that will narrow down what you need to look for.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

I wouldn't be too worried, if these crashes started happening just recently, then that's because of recent brushwork. Just focus on new additions and you should be fine :-). Also, it's almost always going to be angled brushes, so that will narrow down what you need to look for.

If I monster clip the angled brushes then that should fix the problem to right?

No. You need to actually snap the angled brushes to grid to solve the problem, adding another brush on top of the offending brushes (even if it's textured w/ monster clip) won't solve it.

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

Don't know if this'll give insight, but somewhere in my learning/reading travels I picked up this tidbit, "To record a console log ahead of time: "logfile 2" It will create a log named "qconsole.log" in the directory of the currently selected mission (not necessarily the one you are trying to load or dmap)."

I haven't personally used that command, and don't know if it'll provide info during that part of the process.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

dmap noAAS <mapname>

runAAS <mapname>

Previous discussion.

Oh you are a life saver! Thank you!

Ok well I have managed to pin it down to the fact that if I have AI in this certain area it just does not work :/

I managed to get a snapshot of TDM crashing though and this is what it displays after doing the suggestion you just gave Grayman

BFxkJDA.png

Ok so I am having a strange issue now.. I have managed to pinpoint the issue down to one house in an area of mine. If I cover the entire house in a brush with a caulk texture applied my map dmaps and runs perfectly fine however without that it will crash every time.

I took the entire district including the house and exported it into a brand new map. I dmapped and everything works fine.

So basically in my normal map I have to have that whole house covered in a worldbrush that is caulked. What could be causing this one house to break? and more importantly only break when it is inside my full map. On its own it's completely fine :/

Hard to say. Have you made detail geometry into func_statics? Maybe dmapping does not like too much too detailed worldspawn geometry. In principle, only the sealing geometry should be worldspawn, everything else should be func_statics.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Hard to say. Have you made detail geometry into func_statics? Maybe dmapping does not like too much too detailed worldspawn geometry. In principle, only the sealing geometry should be worldspawn, everything else should be func_statics.

I'll start doing that then and see if it fixes the problem. Thanks for the help!

I hope it helps. Here are some links to some new mapper advice I've given in the past.

This seems to be a recurring thing, maybe the advice should be wikified?

http://forums.thedar...133#entry312133

http://forums.thedar...629#entry308629

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11610-darkmod-inspiration-thread/page__view__findpost__p__315657

EDIT: Added one more link.

Clipper

Hm that's very interesting.. It sure would be nice though if we could get a specific error message with stuff like this so we could at least figure it out instead of just "TDM has stopped responding"

With that said when I make my next FM (whenever that is) holy hell will I be doing things differently

With that said when I make my next FM (whenever that is) holy hell will I be doing things differently

Heh! You, sir, are the now embodiment of the advice that new mappers should always start with a small mission! The Word must be spread!

Imagine me hacking away at the geometry of the Alchemist, a huge map, making every single mistake there are in the Book. ;)

Clipper

And for bonus points on my shitty laptop a dmap takes between 5-10 minutes so imagine changing something and then waiting that long just to find out if it worked or not! :P

But I wont give up! Even though I want to throw my laptop out the window and never touch TDM again :P I know in time things will be better :)

And for bonus points on my shitty laptop a dmap takes between 5-10 minutes so imagine changing something and then waiting that long just to find out if it worked or not! :P

Oh, be sure do turn vsync OFF. I know it sounds weird, but it has an impact on dmap speed. All mapper should have it off. It means a differnce of 5 minutes in dmapping time for me, IIRC!

Clipper

Oh, be sure do turn vsync OFF. I know it sounds weird, but it has an impact on dmap speed. All mapper should have it off. It means a differnce of 5 minutes in dmapping time for me, IIRC!

Oh damn.. this whole time I thought that AA had to be turned off! haha oh man. Well vsync is off now too.. hopefully it all goes faster :)

Well I converted the entire district minus the sealers into func_statics and it still crashes... UGHH

Well fuckit i'm just going to use dmap noaas from now on because regular dmap just does not work :(

Well I converted the entire district minus the sealers into func_statics and it still crashes... UGHH

Well fuckit i'm just going to use dmap noaas from now on because regular dmap just does not work :(

I would advice to try to find the issue or maybe asking some of the mapper heroes around here to take a peek at your map.

You must do a proper dmap in the end anyhow to get a working mission, so it would be better to fix the issue right now rather than try to find errors later when you have added more stuff. I can take a peek at the overall build quality if you want, but I have to admit I a bit busy. Maybe some other experience mapper around here would take a look too?

Just PM me a link and tell which is the offending area and I'll have a general look.

Clipper

Bikerdude has volunteered to have a look at my map which I was going to send him next week so he could see the whole picture but its sort of at a critical point now. I think I will just send it through and see what he thinks

I solved the problem..... I can't believe it. The elevated part of my map needed to have a monster clip on it... that was it.

Oh wow that was frustrating!!! The whole area runs really slow as well but that just needs some proper optimization. I have taken your drawings to mind Sotha and will now start building my map like that :)

This is exactly how I feel right now.. oh god.. I have to close DR and TDM.. I can't bare to look at it anymore

G3nsFtQ.png

• Like 1