The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

What is the console command to show sounds in DM? To avert potential confusion, I am referring to the console command that shows all sounds as invisible boxes (save for an outline) that have a directional arrow attached in addition to their name which appear in game when a sound is triggered - aka opening/closing a door.

I checked the 'Console Useful Controls' wikipage but what I am looking for was not there.

We've reached that point in the night I've run out of things to explore...I've made an AI non-reactive, it's sitting, but still turning it's head side to side, I've set all idle anims to "-", I've set headturn pitch and yaw both to 0, look max and min to 0 0 0.

He still moves his head and taps his fingers a bit, any way to suppress that?

Also, any idea what "set something on ___" would be for the head? I've tried "head". IE, the equivalent of "flame" on a candlestick.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Maybe Head with a capital H. You can see the attachment names if you unfold the inherited properties. Although I barely remember that it may not work for the head.

In addition you have to make sure that the spawnarg has an effect after spawn-time, if not, you have to create a custom one to attach to the ai.

What are you trying to change/ which spawnarg do you want to set?

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

He still moves his head and taps his fingers a bit, any way to suppress that?

That's part of the sitting idle animation. If you want him to be perfectly still, you'd have to make a new animation that is only one frame long (possible with cut and paste, I think).

alternately, you could use an anim_rate spawnarg to really slow the animation down...don't know how that would look.

Woohoo, win and win!

In addition you have to make sure that the spawnarg has an effect after spawn-time, if not, you have to create a custom one to attach to the ai.

Oh great point...and look at me go, I made a custom one, perfection, thanks Obs!

That's part of the sitting idle animation. If you want him to be perfectly still, you'd have to make a new animation that is only one frame long (possible with cut and paste, I think).

alternately, you could use an anim_rate spawnarg to really slow the animation down...don't know how that would look.

Ooo, slow would work even better in my case, providing more of a hint of what's going on to the player, great thought. It took me a bit of trial and error before I had the epiphany that it's "anim_rate_idle_sit", much better effect, thanks Spring!

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

Is there a way to replace default sounds in the game? for example the sound of a person walking through water, I wish to use a custom one for my mission. Does anyone know how to do that? / if its possible?

Thanks!

I haven't done it with sounds (yet), but can you not simply provide a replacement of the same name in the same path structure within your mission like replacing other things?

Is there a way to disable a trigger once and then use it at a later date?

I have tried changing the spawn arg of noTouch from 1 to 0, I have tried using an entity teleport.. I have tried using the stim/response thing and moving the position.. I have tried everything I can think of but this entity is being a whore!

Basically I want it so that you pass through the entity the first time and nothing happens but at a later date once you trigger something then the trigger once is there and waiting to begin what it's designed to do.

Is there a trick to this madness?

so a tl;dr of that.. I need to have a trigger_once wait until I say it's ok to be active.

Edited by Goldwell

With a trigger_multiple instead of trigger_once, by not having a target for it until your second condition is met.

Add a atdm:target_changetargets to your map (from targets/) and have it target your trigger_multiple. Have no target on your trigger_multiple to begin with, so nothing happens first time through. Whatever your conditional trigger is, have it also trigger the target_changetarget. Apply the spawnarg, "add" yournewtarget on the changetarget. If you want the trigger_multiple to not fire ever again, use a func_remove on it (or potentially set the "wait" to an insane value).

This way nothing happens until your second trigger event causes the first trigger to gain a target for it to trigger. Make sense?

Edited by RJFerret
  • Like 1

With a trigger_multiple instead of trigger_once, by not having a target for it until your second condition is met.

Add a atdm:target_changetargets to your map (from targets/) and have it target your trigger_multiple. Have no target on your trigger_multiple to begin with, so nothing happens first time through. Whatever your conditional trigger is, have it also trigger the target_changetarget. Apply the spawnarg, "add" yournewtarget on the changetarget. If you want the trigger_multiple to not fire ever again, use a func_remove on it (or potentially set the "wait" to an insane value).

This way nothing happens until your second trigger event causes the first trigger to gain a target for it to trigger. Make sense?

Works like a charm! Thank you so much RJ! :)

• Like 1

So I have a guard who has a key on his belt for a locked door.. whenever I steal his key and use it on the door it works great however whenever I tell the guard (via a path_interact) to open the door he can't open it... is there a way to this?

So I have a guard who has a key on his belt for a locked door.. whenever I steal his key and use it on the door it works great however whenever I tell the guard (via a path_interact) to open the door he can't open it... is there a way to this?

Give the AI spawnarg:

"can_unlock1" <doorname>

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Doors

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Give the AI spawnarg:

"can_unlock1" <doorname>

http://wiki.thedarkm...php?title=Doors

The AI does have that spawnarg but still wont open the door.. I tried removing the lockability of the door and he opens it just fine. Here is a screenshot with the relevant spawnargs on my AI

lEFM1H7.png

(Is there a reason you chose to add path_interact? Once that spawnarg is set, if the path continues on the other side, or the player alerts him on the other side, or the flee point is out there, he'll go through without any effort on your part other than the can_unlock#.)

Also it seems useful to give more AI than you might expect to go through a locked door that spawnarg, in case they are chasing the player, or fleeing, or something else unpredicted.

Maybe the path_interact doesn't recognize the can_unlock1? It's more for frobbing something it seems. Does he go through if you just put a path_corner on the far side and remove the interact?

I tried a path_corner and he just walked around in a circle.. I'm going to try using a trigger to unlock the door and just use the unlocking animation.. that might be best

Edit, typo on door name, it's atdm:door..., not atdm_door...

I usually click the door's name spawnarg to fill the field in the editor, then escape, select the AI, change the name field to can_unlock1 and hit enter to avoid typing (or highlight, copy/paste).

Um, you might be overworking it? It sounds like the path_corner wasn't 16 away from monsterclip, or otherwise not in the AAS. Best solution is to move the path_corner where it can be reached, or alternatively broadening the move_to_position_tolerance (greater than 16).

(Even if you force a display of it opening through an alternative means, it sounds like it's not going to be happy going to that path_corner as is anyway, and you'll have done the extra busy-work for naught.)

Edited by RJFerret

Ah, if the AI is opening a door in a cutscene or something, you could do it like this

1) ai walks to door

2) ai plays unlock anim

3) you unlock the door via script

4) you open the door via script

5) ai walks through

Instead of a script, I suppose you could make a conversation to control the AI.

Normally you just give the AI a path_corner at the other end of the door, and they will walk through it just fine.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Nevermind, I got it sorted.. it's not the best way but it works just how I want it :)

Thanks both of you for your help anyway! :)

Also is there a way to make an AI not have idle animations? I tried setting the "anim" sparnarg to "-" but the AI still stretched and moved about a bit. I just want an AI with no idle animations. Is that possible?