The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I'm assuming the pointfile isn't being of any use if you are going through such extremes?

That's just it, I don't know. So, all I was doing was creating an outside "room" with some starlight in the upper portions. I remade it entirely after the initial error and it's working fine in TDM. But I can still run Pointfile and it gives me the same path that I was getting when TDM was saying there was a leak. My guess is that it's stuck on that path for some reason, but the actual leak was elsewhere. Which is worrisome, because up until that point it was adept at pointing out actual leaks.

I'm letting it be a worry for another day since it's back to working. Frequent dmap tests will have to suffice unless Pointfile starts working normally again.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Digi: you don't have a leak any more, and pointfile is working. The pointfile that got generated last time you did have a leak is a genuine file that gets saved in your darkmod folder and it'll sit there unchanged until next time you have a leak, when it gets overwritten. So you can always call it up to see where you last leak *was*, but it doesn't mean you have a leak still.

It sounds like your original leak might have been due to using the starry night texture on skybox walls, or any exterior wall. For whatever reason, that texture isn't configured to be solid, so it can't seal against the void. That's why it's on a patch instead of the walls in the prefab.

If you get a leak again and the pointfile just draws a line in the void, dmap again, and scroll up in your console until you see the name of the entity that leaked. It'll be some way above the red warning. That way, if you do have a ghost entity left in the void after deleting a skybox etc, you can find it in DR by pressing J to see all entities, and clicking on the name.

problem fixed nevermind!

Edited by Goldwell

Digi: you don't have a leak any more, and pointfile is working. The pointfile that got generated last time you did have a leak is a genuine file that gets saved in your darkmod folder and it'll sit there unchanged until next time you have a leak, when it gets overwritten. So you can always call it up to see where you last leak *was*, but it doesn't mean you have a leak still.

It sounds like your original leak might have been due to using the starry night texture on skybox walls, or any exterior wall. For whatever reason, that texture isn't configured to be solid, so it can't seal against the void. That's why it's on a patch instead of the walls in the prefab.

If you get a leak again and the pointfile just draws a line in the void, dmap again, and scroll up in your console until you see the name of the entity that leaked. It'll be some way above the red warning. That way, if you do have a ghost entity left in the void after deleting a skybox etc, you can find it in DR by pressing J to see all entities, and clicking on the name.

Excellent, thanks. This is all good to know, because I'm sure it will happen again at some point, and tricks like this are handy.

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

No problem. That starry night texture got me on long leak hunts twice before I figured it out. Mapping without leaks isn't as difficult as we might make it sound with all the advice by the way. Most textures that look solid are solid, and ghost entities aren't easy to create by accident: you have to be using advanced techniques. The starry night texture doesn't look solid of course, but I took it for granted that it would be a solid sealing texture because the only place you'd want to use it would be on a skybox or sealing wall.

atdm:alarm_sound

Is there a way to precisely see the area how far the alert sound is heard goes?

I want to have a minor alert, that is heard only in roughly half way through a room.

EDIT: nevermind. Looks like hearing an atdm:alarm_sound is not counter as evidence of intruders.

Anyone have any idea how to make this work?

I have a barrack room. There is a sleeping AI. The barracks is a fleet point location. I want to make unarmed AI to run here and alert the sleeping guard. When he gets the evidence of intruders, he will go on patrols.

The AI gets up like he should if I alert him.

The problem is, even an AI cowering in terror next to him does not wake him up!

What is the natural way to have fleeing AI entering a guarded flee_point to rouse sleeping AI there?

Nevermind, got it.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

AI wake up when they are pushed towards alert state 3. So you need to let the fleeing ai propagate a sound that is loud enough.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Is it possible to use locations on buildings that have windows/open vents?

I find that all of my other building locations switch to the correct ambient/lighting when I enter them however any building that has windows and/or open vents seem to cause TDM to not recognize that you have entered into that area. I have placed vis portals on every exit/door/window/vent possible however it doesn't seem to change anything.

Is it possible to use locations on buildings that have windows/open vents?

I find that all of my other building locations switch to the correct ambient/lighting when I enter them however any building that has windows and/or open vents seem to cause TDM to not recognize that you have entered into that area. I have placed vis portals on every exit/door/window/vent possible however it doesn't seem to change anything.

Make sure you place an info_location_separator on each visportal leading out of the area.

Make sure you place an info_location_separator on each visportal leading out of the area.

Oh oops *facepalm* ah well at least it was a simple mistake

Thanks Gman!

Two minor questions:

• How do I set the player's starting health to a non-default value?
  • Is there a spawnarg to lock doors based on difficulty level?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

2 - use script here too:

/**

* Returns 0 (Easy), 1 (Medium) or 2 (Hard), depending on the difficulty level of the current mission.

*/

scriptEvent float getDifficultyLevel();

So in pseudocode:

float difficulty = getDifficultyLevel();

if difficulty==0

{

Set up entities for easy difficulty level.

leave doors unlocked

}

if difficulty==1

{

do stuff

Set up entities for medium difficulty level.

lock doors with script commands (possibly $entityname.Lock(), or sys.trigger some atdm:target_changelockstates

}

You need to trigger this setup script once the mission starts, probably a targeting from the worldspawn.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• Is there a spawnarg to lock doors based on difficulty level

I think you could do it by script couldn't you, since the script can get the difficulty level from whatever entity holds it as a spawnarg, and IIRC scripts can lock or unlock (or even just activate a key on a door if it comes to that).

But you can also spawn different objects based on difficulty level, so you could either spawn some entity that locks or unlocks the door itself, or for that matter spawn entirely different doors (one locked, one unlocked) based on the difficulty.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yikes folks, no need to make it so complicated! ;-)

• Is there a spawnarg to lock doors based on difficulty level?

Yes there is:

"diff_0_change_0" "locked"

"diff_0_arg_0" "0"

The above sets it to unlocked on Easy.

"diff_1_change_0" "locked"

"diff_1_arg_0" "1"

That sets it to locked on Medium. Use diff_2 for hard's setting if it's different from the default spawnarg of "locked".

For more info: http://wiki.thedarkm...iculty_Settings

• Like 2

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Thanks, everyone! I am script-illiterate, so any solution that sidesteps them is a godsend.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I think you can use the diff_change spawnargs for health, too. The spawnarg for health is health :)

Note that there is also Maxealth IIRC, so you can both adjust the current health as well as the maximum health (which is 100 for the player me thinks).

Which entity do you apply it to if you want to affect the player? info_player_start?

Ah bloody, forgot that. No thiswont work. The player gets spawned once the game is loaded, so it is not present in the map file.

What you could use, too is a func_setkeyval, with a trigger_relay in between to make sure the player is spawned already. But this is actually more complicated then using a script, so you should stick to the latter.

You basically need three things:

• The image files
  • the material files
  • a skin file

Look up those informations seperately and merge the knowledge ;)

Just ran into an odd bug and thought I'd put the solution here in case anyone else ran across it. I set up a new zone with two entrances and placed a info_locationseparator entity at each entrance. One of the entrances was a door, but the other entrance was an open visportal. I was having issues with sounds going through the open visportal when I didn't want them to and so I put a sound_loss spawnarg on both location separators (with a value of 100). When I did this, I got a strange crackling sound whenever I entered/exited the zone and the ambient tracks switched.

I couldn't figure out why this crackling noise was happening, but the fix was to delete the sound_loss spawnarg on one of the separator entities. When I did, the problem stopped.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Keeping the "newb" in newbie, I've come up with my next question:

I've been inserting prefab buildings to mess around with them, but quickly realized that even if I "Room" them, they're treated as a single entity. As such, what do I do if, say, I want to add doors or windows to a prefab building? The normal selection tool doesn't differentiate between walls and such, and I even tried using the Clipper tool, but with no success.

I can't imagine they're meant solely as static entities, so I assume there's an easy fix here. As always, help is appreciated, and sorry for the ignorance.

Slow but steady progress otherwise. I'm basically learning tools, without regarding to putting them together rationally at the moment. My first level, such as it is, is too haphazard to be considered anything coherent. But I'm nearing the point of starting from scratch on an earnest - if modest - effort.

Edited by Digi

You have to turn them into worldspawn. Right click on them and choose "revert to worldspawn". Then they become brushes and you can modify them however you like.

I'd recommend moving the prefab to its own layer first though, so you can easily select the whole thing again if you want to turn it back into a func_static.