The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

If you put a spawnarg on a worldspawn brush, you'll see it on EVERY worldspawn brush. Worldspawn is kind of "one thing", it doesn't have individual attributes like entities. I know tutorials don't explain the difference very well, it was a learning curve for me too.

Worldspawn is an own entity. All worldspawn patches and brushes are considered as one entity by the game. That's why a spawnarg set on one ws brush or patch shows up on all others, too. You can also see this if you show up the inherited properties. The name spawnarg is world. Several entities are not allowed to have the same name, so they form one entity.

world is therefore the name to use if you want to refer to spawnargs set on worldspawn or storing spawnargs on worldspawn via script.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I ran into a couple lighting issues when converting things to noshadows, so it was an interesting learning experience. Thanks for the help, guys. I'm done with every step I've laid out for myself, and will be testing over the next few days (and, with luck, beta testing after that). The mission itself could see the light of day as soon as a couple weeks (fingers crossed)!

• Like 1

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

@SteveL

@RJFerret

@Springheel

Thanks to all for your info. I finally have my house sealed, my portals all working as well as sound. I redid each wall, floor and ceiling brush, and on one wall, must have had a splinter? Now all good.

I can say that when you run, r_showportals 1, even though your visportals seem to work, doesn't mean the room is sealed. When working in conjuction with your sound info, and separators, the area is sealed and good to go. I know this by checking it with r_showtris 2. I'm getting closer for a call for Beta testers... :D

• Like 3

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

Well, I packed my mission and got it to show up, which was cool. It promptly displayed a blank briefing page and then got stuck on a black screen when I went to Objectives. So I have some work to do, apparently.

I've been reading this:

http://wiki.thedarkm...ck_your_Mission

It's not easy to decipher, but I'm trying to follow it.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

So I have some work to do, apparently.

Do you have a file named "startingmap.txt" in your pk4, at the top level?

It should have a single word in it: the name of your mission. (i.e. Home Again's file says "ws2_homeagain", w/o the quotes.)

And is your map file in the correct directory/folder? I had similar results once dropping it in the wrong spot.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Here's everything I've done: I created a separate folder in my /darkmod/maps folder called "Temp" to put the files for zipping. I included the following after a fresh dmap:

.aas32

.cm

.darkradiant

.lin

.map

.proc

startingmap.txt (the title was originally 3 words, but I changed it to 1 to test it. No luck either way.)

I know not all of those are needed, but once it didn't work I tried to be thorough. Later, I also created a copy of my xdata folder to be zipped, thinking that might be the issue. No such luck.

I zipped it, converted it to a pk4, and moved it to the /fms folder with its own folder like other FMs I've downloaded. In this new folder (/fms/poets in this case, as the FM is called "Poets and Peasants"), I also included the darkmod.txt document. So the final /fms/poets folder included the pk4 and darkmod.txt. I then loaded TDM. It shows up, with correct name and info, and allows me to install it. But then I get the errors mentioned above. No briefing (the .xd file should have a properly formatted briefing along with all other readables) and black screen when I try to go to Objectives (which showed up fine when I did "testmap" and such).

Rather than blindly ask specific questions, maybe I'll just ask if there's anything big I'm leaving out. Thanks in advance.

{edit} having unzipped Thief's Den for reference, a lot of extra folders came out of it that I may or may not need. I find it difficult to believe I missed that much in the tutorial, but it's possible he's including specific elements that I don't have in my map. Still, I may have a TON to add.

Edited by Digi

It sounds like you put all those files at the same level.

Here's what the folders should look like inside the pk4:

startingmap.txt

darkmod.txt

readme.txt

maps/<missionName>.map

maps/<missionName>.proc

maps/<missionName>.cm

maps/<missionName>.aas32

xdata/<missionName>.xd

You don't include the *.lin or *.darkradiant files.

If this still doesn't help, open up the pk4 for any mission and see what other people have done.

If that doesn't help either, PM me your pk4 and I'll tell you what's wrong with it.

• Like 2

Thanks dude. I appreciate it. I'll tool around with your suggestions some more before I resort to sending it to you.

You better get a clean Dark mod folder installed just for playing. Sometimes work files or unpacked missions override others. Also check if you have zipped whole folder including .map , .proc ,(...), or grabbed those separate files inside it.

• Like 1

S2wtMNl.gif

When working on a new mission it is the best way to keep everything in an own folder in the fms folder, like fms/mymission. This way you have all files you need at the place they have to be, can test custom stuff like loading screens much easier, and if you set the mod path in DR to your fms folder, you have your custom stuff available there, too.

In addition, when working on several FM's, you can just switch between them by installing the proper fm, without risking both fms interferring with each other. Note that you don't have to pack the files to have this working.

Once you are ready for beta/release, you just pack everything inside your folder into a zip file and rename its ending to pk4, that's it. You don't have to search your files together doing so, and your fms won't affect other fan missions installed.

I've described this in my first Let's Map, see my signature (youtube channel).

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Inching closer, I got some help from grayman that cleared up my pk4 woes. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

My next issue is with the mission briefing. I can get it to show up and work properly...when it's only 1 page in the .xd file. But the text is too long for a single page. But when I bump it to 2 pages, nothing shows up at all.

Here's the exact code, modeled after the Thieves Den briefing:

maps/poets/mission_briefing

{

"num_pages": "2"

"page1_body" :

{

"I don't normally make a habit of stealing from other thieves. We tend to know each other's tricks. But this is a special case." \

"I ran into an old associate, Flowers, the other day in a bar. He's now going as Thomas Peasant. " \

"Apparently he went legitimate, and he's retired from the thieving business. \n\n " \

"What he doesn't remember is that he cheated me out of a haul nearly a decade ago. " \

"I was a nobody at the time...he probably didn't even know my name. " \

"And I made sure he still doesn't, giving him one of my more recent aliases in the bar. " \

"He disappeared after the heist all those years ago, and revenge doesn't pay, so I let it go. " \

"But now that he's more well off, I may have to rethink that mantra. " \

}

"page2_body" :

{

"I tailed him to his house...a modest estate, given his bravado in the bar. " \

"But it's guarded, which should make things more interesting. I've spent a few weeks waiting to make my play, to deflect suspicion. " \

"My time was put to use in another way as well...during lapses in guard duty when I was staking out the place, " \

"I managed to break through a small section of the outer wall of his property that's adjacent to a small storage area. " \

"The new entrance doesn't eliminate the risk, but it should certainly make things easier. \n\n " \

"It's dark, and Peasant has left for the evening. There will never be a better time to loot the joint. " \

}

"page3_body" :

{

""

}

"page4_body" :

{

""

}

"page5_body" :

{

""

}

}

...again, for reference, that exact same script, but all under page1_body, shows up correctly, but is missing the 3rd and 4th paragraph due to length. But the code above results in a blank page.

Edited by Digi

Inching closer, I got some help from grayman that cleared up my pk4 woes. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

My next issue is with the mission briefing. I can get it to show up and work properly...when it's only 1 page in the .xd file. But the text is too long for a single page. But when I bump it to 2 pages, nothing shows up at all.

Here's the exact code, modeled after the Thieves Den briefing:

maps/poets/mission_briefing

{

"page1_body" :

{

"I don't normally make a habit of stealing from other thieves. We tend to know each other's tricks. But this is a special case." \

"I ran into an old associate, Flowers, the other day in a bar. He's now going as Thomas Peasant. " \

"Apparently he went legitimate, and he's retired from the thieving business. \n\n " \

"What he doesn't remember is that he cheated me out of a haul nearly a decade ago. " \

"I was a nobody at the time...he probably didn't even know my name. " \

"And I made sure he still doesn't, giving him one of my more recent aliases in the bar. " \

"He disappeared after the heist all those years ago, and revenge doesn't pay, so I let it go. " \

"But now that he's more well off, I may have to rethink that mantra. " \

}

"page2_body" :

{

"I tailed him to his house...a modest estate, given his bravado in the bar. " \

"But it's guarded, which should make things more interesting. I've spent a few weeks waiting to make my play, to deflect suspicion. " \

"My time was put to use in another way as well...during lapses in guard duty when I was staking out the place, " \

"I managed to break through a small section of the outer wall of his property that's adjacent to a small storage area. " \

"The new entrance doesn't eliminate the risk, but it should certainly make things easier. \n\n " \

"It's dark, and Peasant has left for the evening. There will never be a better time to loot the joint. " \

}

"page3_body" :

{

""

}

"page4_body" :

{

""

}

"page5_body" :

{

""

}

}

...again, for reference, that exact same script, but all under page1_body, shows up correctly, but is missing the 3rd and 4th paragraph due to length. But the code above results in a blank page.

Are you editing these raw? because there is an excellent built in editor in Dark Radiant.

Simply select the readable you wish to edit and then on the top bar click on Entity ---> Readable Editor

It is much easier to use and even provides a nice preview pane of how it should look in game. Hope that helps!

Are you editing these raw? because there is an excellent built in editor in Dark Radiant.

Simply select the readable you wish to edit and then on the top bar click on Entity ---> Readable Editor

It is much easier to use and even provides a nice preview pane of how it should look in game. Hope that helps!

It works for the briefing as well? I had been using it, but only for the in-game readables. I'll play around with it though, thanks.

How would you apply the readable editor to the briefing?

Anyways, I removed the extraneous \s from the ends of the lines, and the briefing properly showed up on both pages Digi.

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

It works for the briefing as well? I had been using it, but only for the in-game readables. I'll play around with it though, thanks.

Sorry I misread that, just remove the "\" at the end like what RJ said and it should work.

The briefing for my first FM looks like this if it helps

maps/anh/mission_briefing

{

"page1_body" :

{

"The Accountant Part 1"

"A Noble Home (prologue)"

""

"An old thief once told me that in our line of work you can never trust anybody. I should have carved those damn words onto the back of my hand."

""

"Last night I was supposed to meet up with an associate of mine, to plan our next job. But when I arrived, the only ones there to greet me were the city watch. Looks like he sold me out & decided that the reward money on my head was worth more than our continued partnership."

""

}

"page2_body" :

{

"I managed to get away with my life, but now I'm cold, broke, and running out of options."

"I'm not exactly in a trusting mood either but a letter arrived last night with an offer I couldn't refuse. I don't usually accept jobs from complete strangers but i'm not really left with much of a choice right now."

""

"It's from a local fence who says he's heard of my troubles and that he knows of a way to smuggle me out of the city."

"For a price."

""

"The fence has arranged a simple job for me, and I'm to meet him down in the sewers tonight for more details."

}

}

• Like 1

Drats, I was hoping there was a dummy readable template that gave a briefing wysiwyg in the editor I was ignorant of.

LIGHTING ISSUE....

I have a house that is sealed, Visportals work, sounds work, etc. I have an oil lamp on the wall, but upstairs directly above it, the light bleeds through??? As though the floor had a gap between it and the wall? All built on 8 and snapped to grid; no gaps. What causes the light bleeding up to the next floor??? Am I using the wrong light???

First thing to check, is the light set to cast shadows?

If so, then does it change if you move the lamp further from the ceiling and/or wall?

• Like 1

Drats, I was hoping there was a dummy readable template that gave a briefing wysiwyg in the editor I was ignorant of.

Steal one from a mission of your preference, replace the text and images with your own. I stole mine from Sotha.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

What causes the light bleeding up to the next floor???

Most likely the light is set to noshadows (which makes them go through walls) or the wall itself is set to noshadows.

• Like 1

So I've moved on from all the decoration, geometry and the story+readables (the mission even has a name now, 'The Madman's Tome', aboard the Erkenbrandt!) and began with the AI pathing and stim/responses as 2 of the last steps with the end in sight but hit several roadblocks...

Pathing - I just can't get anyone to sit down squarely on a chair. I've imported Grayman's sit path from the 1st guard in the North and it seems what's needed is 3 entities: a path corner next to the chair, a path turn angle 90° away from the sit direction, and a path sit with sit_direction_angle set. On a blank test map the prefab works fine but when I manually copy it the AI sits half to the side or the back, or on thin air behind it. Is more needed?

With S/R the only stim that works for me is radius. When I change it to or add an activation timer, or add max fire count, it stops working. I think I'm misunderstanding this system entirely.

One thing I'm trying to do with S/R is have the sea entity translate past, then get teleported back and start again - another issue there, the sea is bound to a sliding door. I've tried adding a translate spawnarg to a func_mover and a func_static but they won't move. A func_riser that moves horizontally would be great.

My map has been great fun, but now I just have all these technicalities that I don't understand why they don't work... Some explanation would be really nice.

@RJFerret

First thing to check, is the light set to cast shadows?

If so, then does it change if you move the lamp further from the ceiling and/or wall?

It's not set to no shadows_1. If I move it up or down, it doesn't change; unless it is way down/