The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Sometimes I just don't understand the world of Dark Radiant.. I have a problem that is technically impossible.

I created a custom icon for some loot I made in game as there was no other icon that fit the task correctly. I made the 256x256 image saved it as a TGA, I created the proper material file and I entered it on the loot under the "inv_icon" spawnarg I set it to "textures/icons/loot" and it actually worked perfectly fine.

Then today I booted up DR started work on other sections of my map and decided to do a test run but when I picked up the loot this time the icon in the hud isn't there... that shouldn't be possible as I made zero changes to it but yet it just doesn't work.

I tried setting the "textures/icons/loot" to other random pieces of loot I had and it didn't work, no icon showed in the inventory, I then changed the inv_icon of my special loot thinking maybe its broken somehow to just a gold bar and it worked, I could see the gold bar icon in the inventory when I picked it up. For some reason DR no longer accepts my custom icon.. So I created another one and that doesn't work either.

I checked this thread and other people created the same as me 256x256 TGA with an alpha layer.

What the fuck? Has anyone else ever had problems with custom icons for the inventory space?

edit: oh and when I navigate to the texture "textures/icons/loot" in dark radiant it shows up perfectly fine in there. which adds to my confusion further as it should be working.. theres no reason why it shouldn't work.

Edited by Goldwell

The icon has to be a .dds file saved in the dds version of the texture folder. I think the tga version is just for the editor image, and maybe other purposes like the shop.

I stand corrected!

Edited by SteveL

Sometimes I just don't understand the world of Dark Radiant.. I have a problem that is technically impossible.

I created a custom icon for some loot I made in game as there was no other icon that fit the task correctly. I made the 256x256 image saved it as a TGA, I created the proper material file and I entered it on the loot under the "inv_icon" spawnarg I set it to "textures/icons/loot" and it actually worked perfectly fine.

Then today I booted up DR started work on other sections of my map and decided to do a test run but when I picked up the loot this time the icon in the hud isn't there... that shouldn't be possible as I made zero changes to it but yet it just doesn't work.

I tried setting the "textures/icons/loot" to other random pieces of loot I had and it didn't work, no icon showed in the inventory, I then changed the inv_icon of my special loot thinking maybe its broken somehow to just a gold bar and it worked, I could see the gold bar icon in the inventory when I picked it up. For some reason DR no longer accepts my custom icon.. So I created another one and that doesn't work either.

I checked this thread and other people created the same as me 256x256 TGA with an alpha layer.

What the fuck? Has anyone else ever had problems with custom icons for the inventory space?

edit: oh and when I navigate to the texture "textures/icons/loot" in dark radiant it shows up perfectly fine in there. which adds to my confusion further as it should be working.. theres no reason why it shouldn't work.

The inv_icon spawnarg refers to an image, not an material definition.

The icon has to be a .dds file saved in the dds version of the texture folder. I think the tga version is just for the editor image, and maybe other purposes like the shop.

That's wrong. You can use all image types supported by TDM.

I just made a let's map dealing with the question of how to create a custom loot item. (The reason was your question ;) )

I'm currently converting and uploading it, so if you wait an hour you can see how it is done :)

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The inv_icon spawnarg refers to an image, not an material definition.

That's wrong. You can use all image types supported by TDM.

I just made a let's map dealing with the question of how to create a custom loot item. (The reason was your question ;) )

I'm currently converting and uploading it, so if you wait an hour you can see how it is done :)

Thanks that'll be interesting to see

Is there a way to pause pendulum entity, or pause mover affected by .sway command? I know I can put '0 0 0' in angles, then start it with different 'phase' value, but it don't work very good. Also I don't get time values for things like bobbing and swinging entities: their speed value looks like angle speed, so [speed=12, angle=12] and [speed20, angle=20] will be synchronized, but I can't find a cycle value in seconds. speed= angle is not a 1 sec. Is this some Doom unit, like sound radius?

S2wtMNl.gif

Yes, simply trigger it to toggle pause/unpause. I've used both and found them to work as advertised on the tin (IE, commented in DR.)

func_bobbing: speed is seconds to complete a bobbing cycle, so higher is slower. You would use "phase" to offset from another.

func_pendulum: speed is angle to the swing, so larger is faster. Again phase offsets from another. I've commonly used values of 2, 3 (lamps) and 5 (sign).

• Like 1

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

On a pendulum you have two spawnargs to control the swinging.

As Ferret already said speed is the angle of the swing, and with freq you can control the frequency. Note that frequency is seconds to the power of minus one. So it gets the amount of swings to perform per second.

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Curious, I have a couple func_shaking in my current WIP targeted by a switch (via a relay technically) that stop/start happily.

Edit: But I just confirmed a func_pendulum keeps swinging away.

That's a bummer, you couldn't have shutters close to stop evident wind or the like.

Edit again: Ah, the func_shaking specifically says to trigger it to turn it on/off, by implication the others don't. Unless someone else has better info or a scripted workaround, might that be worth a feature request for a future version?

Edit three: Func_shaking provides yaw/pitch/roll, I don't know your application, might you be able to simulate the effect you seek using it, since it may be toggled on/off?

Edit four: Also func_rotating will either turn on/off, or reverse it's direction upon being toggled, so it might simulate pendulum movement well enough for your purpose perhaps?

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

...as I'm still away but I do have a copy of the game code on my phone so I can look for options given the spawnclass.

You know you are addicted to TheDarkMod when... ...you have a copy of the game code on your phone.

• Like 4

@ERH+: Thanks. I can confirm a func pendulum isn't an idMover, it's an idMover_Periodic, so it doesn't respond to the normal methods, and it's got only one active script event, that deals damage to anything blocking it. So a scripted option using Sway might be the only way for now. That script event applies to all idMovers, so hopefully you can stop it again using the StopMoving or StopRotating events. Fastest way to find out would be to test it I guess.

Adding toggling for pendulums sounds like a good idea to me.

• Like 1

Thanks for doing the honors RJF. By coincidence I was sketching out an idea involving pendulums yesterday which'll need them to be toggleable if it's too avoid scripts and be prefabable. I didn't realise they weren't.

Is that what the "phase" parameter is for I wonder? Perhaps you can work out the phase you stopped it at using the idEntity script events. Or make it easy by ensuring it stops at the start position. I'll face the same problem too, so please post back if you figure it out, as will I if I manage it when I get back.

One thing I forgot to mention was all those bugs and tweaks. I’ve gotten lots of things out of the way and now the only things still on my to do list are those I couldn’t solve by looking at the wiki, other people’s maps or doing my own testing. All help with getting these out of the way is appreciated :) Once those are done the map can go into beta.

High priority:

• Downscaling models via the rotation spawnarg causes some of them to have huge black boxes as shadows that always face you. Is this normal with rescaled models?

Low priority:

• I’d like to make a moving light with better performance by using a static light and a moving flame particle emitter, but I can’t work out how to set up the stim/response so they get extinguished by water arrows and would like some pointers on that
  • Is there a function to set the alert state of an AI to 0?
  • Horizontal doors in the floor push me up even though they have push_player 0, notPushable etc. Is there a more elegant solution than putting a patch of playerclip over the door?
  • The fancy clock finger decal models don’t show up for me.
  • I need to create AAS for rats and I have an AASFlood rat entity in my map but I can’t find documentation on how to use that entity or how other maps did it.
  • Reskinning that pirate flag – would it work differently because it’s an animated model? It seems to use an md5mesh instead of an .ase

Yes, simple answer, don't scale models.

Complex answer, you can replace their clipmodel (you might not have noticed your model's physics was off) and shadow with brush built alternatives. See wiki pages on clipmodel. In Common textures, "shadow" and "shadowcaulk" are textures you might use on a third nonsolid object to made an appropriate shadow cast.

Is it an attached flame/light? If so, you can't with the S/R system, need to script it. If you have a named entity light, then set up a S/R response on the object that'll get hit by the water arrow, choose response "water". Add the appropriate Response Effect for the type of light after selecting your light entity.

Would the AI be in sight of the player? The thought I have to "reset" the alert would be to actually replace the AI with one that hasn't been alerted at all yet. In other words, use func_remove on the alerted one, and teleport in one you've stored off in a box elsewhere. This would also require there being a good spot to teleport a fresh AI in for your purpose.

Does the floor door need to be solid? Perhaps make it nonsolid, assuming you can still seal the area/visportal properly.

I don't know about clock fingers.

Simply place the rat AAS entity in the area your rats would need to go in the future, just like if you actually put rats there. Done. AAS will be created for that size AI, and when you teleport rats in there in the future, they'll be able to walk around. Note, if you simply have rats placed in your map, you don't need to use the separate AAS entity. It's only to create an AAS of that size when the rats aren't in the map already.

I also can't help with reskinning the flag, but others should be along soon with more input!

You can reskin md5meshes the same way you do anything else. Look at the ai skin files for examples.

You can open the md5mesh in a text editor to look for the material shaders used (I know the flag has a number of them)

There was the problem with the stim/response lights, the response had to be on the candleholder and not the light or particle. Thanks for that tip!

Also, I found out that I had put my rats back then into monsterclip in order to stop them from moving, which I can see from here is the wrong approach. Moved them a handful units and now everything is working as intended.

Making the floor door nonsolid - hm, that results in me falling through it. It's an iron grate door in the weatherdeck that gives access to the hold. I'll just have a playerclip patch over it, non-mantle.

Shame about the clock fingers not showing up, but that's what readables are good for explaining.

You can reskin md5meshes the same way you do anything else. Look at the ai skin files for examples.

You can open the md5mesh in a text editor to look for the material shaders used (I know the flag has a number of them)

Ah, I didn't realise that those md5meshes are text files. Now I've got the red and white flag of the captain up there; and I feel like I can reskin anything now. For example I made a boat out of carpets when I was working this out. What's next, maybe a man made entirely of straw for a horror mission.

Now to give the readables another pass, remove the black boxes and fix some more bugs, then there we go. Thrilling :)

• Like 2

Is it a known bug or am I doing something wrong with location sounds starting to high?

I start in area A the ambient music plays at a normal level however when I enter area B and a new ambient music plays it starts at a higher volume level then slowly goes down to the level area A was playing at. It doesn't make sense because the audio file has a consistent volume level and doesn't change.

Oh and it only happens when you move to a new area for the first time, it never repeats after that say if I moved to area C the volume would be normal with no increase at the start.

This is probably a Springheel question:

Right now the skeleton AI's have the standard guard sleeping animations and I'd like to give them the revenant sleeping animations (i.e. the ones where their chests aren't going up and down). Is there a simple way to do this, either via spawnargs or via a custom definition?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com