The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

If you want the player to be able to disable them with water arrows, you can add a water response on them killing the bot.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Select the bot and use the stim/response editor. For instructions on how to use it see the wiki.

• Like 1

Adding on some practical lines to what is already said on the stim/response wiki, because it took me some testing before I properly understood how you actually set up a stim/response:

If you want the bot to react to water, you need to select the bot and go to the stim/response editor, then go to the responses tab - not the stim tab. Then under those tabs, on the left you add a new entry 'water' and on the right you can right-click choose what the effects should be.

The responses tab can do a lot of other things in this way. For example you can set up a 'frob' response on a candleholder, that will extinguish its light if frobbed - like in Sotha's missions.

As far as I understand it the stims tab is only used if you want to create a custom type of stimulus, such as the audio sticks in William Steele 2 or the example in the wiki.

Can paths be created for objects? Follow-up, if so, can they conceivably defy gravity to fly around? Just imagine, say, a disembodied skull floating along a path.

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Can paths be created for objects? Follow-up, if so, can they conceivably defy gravity to fly around? Just imagine, say, a disembodied skull floating along a path.

Bind the object to a mover, then put the mover on a spline curve. There's prolly a wiki for it somewhere.

• Like 1

Bind the object to a mover, then put the mover on a spline curve. There's prolly a wiki for it somewhere.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Cutscenes_Part_2:_Splines_and_Camera_Movement

Just instead of binding a camera bind your object and I guess that should work

• Like 1

As far as I understand it the stims tab is only used if you want to create a custom type of stimulus, such as the audio sticks in William Steele 2 or the example in the wiki.

You can also add stock stims there if you want.

http://wiki.thedarkm...Camera_Movement

Just instead of binding a camera bind your object and I guess that should work

Thanks guys.

Followup, and semi-related: can gravity be manipulated? So, say you wanted the player to be able to leap on top of a house. Or turn it off entirely for a zero G mission.

This is me just brainstorming; seeing what's possible with ideas I'm getting. I appreciate the feedback.

Edited by Digi

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

Followup, and semi-related: can gravity be manipulated? So, say you wanted the player to be able to leap on top of a house. Or turn it off entirely for a zero G mission.

There's a cvar you can play with... g_gravity. I'm not sure whether you can set it in a map file or script. I'll take a look at that if you find that it does what you want.

If you open up the console and enter g_gravity it'll show you the current default value: 1066. You can type "g_gravity 100" to set to it 100 etc.

I find that to get it to affect the player, you have to set it at the main menu just before loading a mission. Then when you load the mission if you type "g_gravity" again, you'll see it back at 1066, but for that play session, the player's gravity will be whatever you set it to before loading the map. I just tried it at 10 and could jump from one side of my test map to the other. I found myself taking off without jumping, just by running across very slightly bumpy ground.

I'm not sure whether other things like thrown objects will be affected the same way, or whether they read their gravity after map start. If you find stuff that still falls fast, you could set it both places: before and during play. I didn't try setting it to 0 either. You might find that if you try exactly zero, it reverts to the default. Happy experimenting.

I think I needed more headroom in that test map. It wasn't designed for low-g jumping so I was bumping my head on the skybox.

Gravity can be manipulated with the gravity spawnarg on worldspawn.

There's a cvar you can play with... g_gravity. I'm not sure whether you can set it in a map file or script. I'll take a look at that if you find that it does what you want.

If you open up the console and enter g_gravity it'll show you the current default value: 1066. You can type "g_gravity 100" to set to it 100 etc.

I find that to get it to affect the player, you have to set it at the main menu just before loading a mission. Then when you load the mission if you type "g_gravity" again, you'll see it back at 1066, but for that play session, the player's gravity will be whatever you set it to before loading the map. I just tried it at 10 and could jump from one side of my test map to the other. I found myself taking off without jumping, just by running across very slightly bumpy ground.

I'm not sure whether other things like thrown objects will be affected the same way, or whether they read their gravity after map start. If you find stuff that still falls fast, you could set it both places: before and during play. I didn't try setting it to 0 either. You might find that if you try exactly zero, it reverts to the default. Happy experimenting.

I think I needed more headroom in that test map. It wasn't designed for low-g jumping so I was bumping my head on the skybox.

Hilarious. I'll have to mess around with it. Thanks.

Gravity can be manipulated with the gravity spawnarg on worldspawn.

Even better.

Last question for now: could you link that spawnarg to events in the mission? Basically, could gravity fluctuate during a mission depending on what the player does? For simplicity's sake, maybe it's tied to a switch.

So my idea is probably too psychotic for most systems to be able to handle, but it involves both a zero G (or nearly so) environment and the "objects on a path" ideas I just asked about above. It certainly wouldn't be a normal mission - and honestly my idea isn't a fully formed mission but just a cool demo room with a couple challenges - but may be fun to mess around with. I'm playing through more missions and realizing that my lack of time combined with my lack of expertise means that I'll probably never be making traditional levels at the same level of mastery as the majority of TDM mappers. But an original idea can make up for a gap in technical expertise. So I'm trying to think outside the box for mission ideas, for whenever I can give DR another go.

Anyway, thanks again.

Edited by Digi

Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere else, but I've done some searching and couldn't find this subject discussed in detail.

When attempting to use the Dark Radiant's Textures, my media folder appears to be empty. I've let the tab sit open and waited as this tutorial describes, but nothing is listed under my "media" tab. Did I forget to install something important?

Changing my engine path to C:/ (where my "darkmod" folder is located under "Games") makes an "Other Materials" folder show up, but the only contents are an unlabled icon followed by an icon named "_default"; clicking this icon seems to do nothing but display a blue and black checkered square which reads "Shader not found".

Edited by Sycamoyr

The engine path is not needed anymore, at least mine is empty. But you can let it point at the folder your darkmod folder is located in.

The mod path has to point to your darkmod folder.

The Mod Base path is if you are going to use custom materials, defs etc. Let it point to the fm folder of your fm (darkmod/fms/mymission for example).

• Like 1

The engine path is not needed anymore, at least mine is empty. But you can let it point at the folder your darkmod folder is located in.

The mod path has to point to your darkmod folder.

The Mod Base path is if you are going to use custom materials, defs etc. Let it point to the fm folder of your fm (darkmod/fms/mymission for example).

Aha! I had thought. from watching some old tutorials, that the Mod Base path was to be left empty.

Thank you! That does help a lot :D

Edit: I didn't realise at first that I had to pull the textures from an existing fm. I decided to use the startmap as it contains some good textures.

Edited by Sycamoyr

Question: I want to get rid of the shop at the start of my mission. I was told to add the spawnarg "shop_skip" "1" to my worldspawn. Ahhhh, where do I find my worldspawn? I can't find anything in the editor that resembles that? All my brushes are worldspawn? But I don't think that is what he was talking about? I'm at a loss.

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

I am still trying to kill my lantern bot with a water arrow. Under response add water, but It won't do anything when I double click to edit? Do I just add Kill response after water? Or does something need to be on the stim side as well??? Or am I just too tired to get what I'm reading?

Edited by buck28

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

Forgive my silly question, but.... How do I select multiple brushes? The "Beginner's A-Z" tutorial mentions several times how if you have a brush selected, make a new brush, then delete the new brush, the first brush you would have made will also be deleted. How can I see which ones are selected? I must have missed something in the A-Z tutorial about this, but I searched it pretty thoroughly.

Edited by Sycamoyr

Forgive my silly question, but.... How do I select multiple brushes? The "Beginner's A-Z" tutorial mentions several times how if you have a brush selected, make a new brush, then delete the new brush, the first brush you would have made will also be deleted. How can I see which ones are selected? I must have missed something in the A-Z tutorial about this, but I searched it pretty thoroughly.

Selected brushes are highlighted.

To deselect everything, tap the ESC key.

If you want to select multiple brushes, hold down the SHIFT key as you select them, each in turn, with your mouse1 button.

• Like 1

I am still trying to kill my lantern bot with a water arrow. Under response add water, but It won't do anything when I double click to edit? Do I just add Kill response after water? Or does something need to be on the stim side as well??? Or am I just too tired to get what I'm reading?

• Like 2