The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

This is a strange one but is it possible to have entities (other than speakers) emit sound?

I have a body of water that I want to emit a sound but because its quite large just placing a circular speaker in the center wouldn't quite work. I just want to have it so that the water itself makes the noise.

If thats not possible is it possible to get a speaker with a square radius of sound instead of circular?

Thanks

edit: and to clarify I have tried this already just adding in the sound spawnargs but no luck

wWpUlLy.png

Edited by Goldwell

The volume modifier works reverse iirc. Remove s_volume.

If you let an entity emit a sound, it gets emitted from it's center, so you will get the same effect as with a speaker. So either you use a speaker or several ones, or you make use of the location system and play the water sound as a background.

In addition, the more mindistance and maxdistance differ, the more recognizable the direction the sound comes from is. If you want to have it for the purpose of creating an less directed ambient like in this case, you should increase the mindistance.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks Obs.

I was trying to do water then kill, instead of frob then water. When I tried clicking on Response effects #effect details (double click to edit), it did nothing. I will try that when I get home tonight. It looks easy, but when you spend over an hour on something; even more than that searching and reading, it gets real old fast. Thanks again.

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

You don't need frob, it's just the default stim choosen for the response. I've changed the response class to water therefore. To add an effect, right-click in the field of effects (double-click is for editing an existing one).

To make this more clear. The response type (in this case water) defines the stim that the entity should react to. The effects are executed once this happens (in the order you've set them).

• Like 1

Is there a way to get atdm_gui_message to show up after a func_camera is activated?

For some reason it just doesn't display when the camera is active

I tried adding a "cinematic: 1" to it but it doesn't work sadly

As far as I know, cameras don't show guis.

Ah damn, thats fine I will find another way.

So I have run into a problem with my cinematic when the cameras are done and I try to get back to the player it doesn't work.

The camera swaps a couple of times from func_camera1 to func_camera2 to func_camera3 and then at the end I have a trigger which is targetted to func_camera3 (the camera currently in use) but when it goes off my map crashes and I get this error.

ELs1Lox.png

I have tried targetting the starting camera, teleporting the player before triggering the final camera but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Yeah take a look at the map Knighton's Manor and The Transaction, both of those have cameras that then release control to the player.

The problem is though I have multiple cameras whereas those FM's only have one camera.

If I trigger 1 camera on/off it will work but as soon as more cameras are involved the game just craps out for some reason. I can't seem to figure a work around either and searching the forum/wiki doesn't answer my question either sadly

Well if you're trying something new, I'm not surprised that no one has an answer :(

Well that error that you get seems to indicate that you were trying to reference a camera that is no longer in the array. Perhaps when you add more cameras, the other ones get removed? So trying to go back to it doesn't work?

I'm not sure, someone with your script/map could try debugging the error.....Grayman?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I'm not using a script though however I have an idea of what to do

edit: sorry I should have clarified that i'm doing this whole system without scripting. But I think if I use the stim/response system and set it so that it triggers the final camera and the activator is player1 it might solve the problem.

So thanks! :)

Edited by Goldwell

Is there a way to get atdm_gui_message to show up after a func_camera is activated?

For some reason it just doesn't display when the camera is active

I tried adding a "cinematic: 1" to it but it doesn't work sadly

If you use a func_cameraview together with the gui as presented in my mapping thread (security cameras), you can use gui overlays. All you have to do is to either teleport the player in a blue room or block his movement. The blue room may be the best idea, as you need to have a func_static using the camera material in the pvs of the player, so the gui knows which camera to render from. In addition you can use that to easely switch between the cameras by changing the spawnarg "cameraTarget" on said func_static.

Btw., use a script! It makes your life easier.

If you can live without the gui_message, stick to the method described in grayman's wiki tutorial (which he linked above).

• Like 1

Ok so I need to rename my .zip to .pk4. No problem. Only when I rename it to .pk4 it adds .zip to the end? .pk4.zip. What do you have to do to change the name to .pk4 and not have the .zip after? And still have it open with the .zip application?

Some where you have to be able to manipulate the file extensions? I have Win7 and I used to be able to with XP. I'm confused. Anybody know how to do this? Thanks.

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

I have Win7 and I used to be able to with XP. I'm confused. Anybody know how to do this? Thanks.
Go to control panel, switch it to "small icons", open "folder options", untick "hide known extensions" in the view tab (might be named slightly differently, my windows isn't in English). Or just type out the extension in the file name when creating an archive (7zip can do that). Any archiver should be able to open .pk4's once you associate them with it.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I learned a few things about visportals, but I'm wondering if the "visportal" texture needs to be on a specific side of the brush for it to work. I just want to make sure i'm doing it right before I end up with dozens of improperly "painted" visportals.

I also want to thank everyone for helping me thus far, DarkRadiant has been really cool so far. I've only ever used DromEd before, so there seems to be many more possibilities and work has been quicker(except for the occasional leak).

When you convert a brush to a visportal (Brush->Make Visportal), it paints the visportal texture on one brush face only. The other faces are painted with nodraw.

Ok, I've been following the A-Z guide which taught me to just paint it manually; it's good to know there's a button for that ;) Thanks!

The only important face is the visportal-textured face. That's the one that has to follow the visportal rules.

I read this section yesterday, but I didn't see anywhere if the portal has to be visibile from another portal at a certain angle. Must the visportal side of the brush face a particular direction?

quoting that link:

When a visportal is in the player's view, the engine tests to see if there is a second visportal viewable from the position of the first. If yes then it tests to see if a third one can be seen from the second one. If the third is not viewable from the first then the engine won't waste time rendering the map beyond it. If it is, then the engine tests for a fourth one and so on.

So it doesn't matter which side the visportal texture is on as long as either side of the brush is in view?

Edited by Sycamoyr

It's not a matter of seeing the brush.

It's a matter of seeing the face of the brush that's painted with the visportal texture.

To get a better sense of this, when you next test your map, pull down the console and type in "r_showportals 1". Visportals that are open will be painted green, and visportals that are closed will be painted red, or not painted at all.

If you vary the thickness of the brush your visportal uses, but don't change the visportal face, you can see in your map that the green or red visportal never moves, regardless of how thick you make its brush.