The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I have a new question or two.

I made a vault door entity; is there a way to make it emit a sound that is more like a vault door when opened as opposed to the sliding door sound it currently makes?

Also...

CombinationMachine_zpse3490209.jpg

How do I make the combination machine work? Ie: Decide on a combination and get it to unlock a door entity.

Check my mission the Builder Roads, I've used it there. You need a script for it to work.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'm having a bit of trouble with using animated textures and displaying models with entitygui at the same time.

DWFytMO.jpg

The above picture shows a standard TDM texture on the left, a custom texture that cycles through a series of animation frames and in the middle what should be a square model textured with entitygui in front of the two textures.

My custom texture is defined as follows.

textures\shock\shock_000
{
description "stone"
qer_editorimage textures\shock\shock_1000_0000.tga
bumpmap _flat
diffusemap textures\shock\shock_1000_0000.tga
specularmap _black
{
if (parm11 > 0)
blend add
map textures\shock\shock_1000_0000.tga
}
{
if ((time * 5) % 4 == 0)
map textures\shock\shock_1000_0000.tga
}
{
if ((time * 4) % 1 == 0)
map textures\shock\shock_1000_pc01_0000.tga
}
{
if ((time * 4) % 2 == 0)
map textures\shock\shock_1000_pc02_0000.tga
}
{
if ((time * 4) % 3 == 0)
map textures\shock\shock_1000_pc03_0000.tga
}
{
if ((time * 4) % 4 == 0)
map textures\shock\shock_1000_pc04_0000.tga
}
}

Adding more blend keywords to various parts of the file will allow me to see the texture and the entitygui at the same time but at the cost of the textures rapidly getting brighter and darker as the animation cycles. I've tried blend add, filter and none.

Any thoughts. I'm guessing I'm missing something silly here?

Newbie needs help with readable please.

I created an entity atdm:readable_mobile_book01 wrote the text gave it an inventory name and xdata file name. In game I can frob book

and read it. but after closing the book it shows in my inventory but I cannot read it again or move it in the Inventory. No cycle keys work, (i.e.

keys, lockpicks etc.etc.) Can no longer frob anything either. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance

L84Work

Okay I solved my problem with entitygui and animated textures by putting a backing texture to the model with entitygui. Now I've noticed an other issue. Light has no effect on the animated texture. Again this is my current material definition

textures\shock\shock_006
{
description "stone"
qer_editorimage textures\shock\shock_1006_0000.tga
bumpmap _flat
diffusemap textures\shock\shock_1006_0000.tga
specularmap _black
{
blend GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
map textures\shock\shock_1006_0000.tga
}
{
if ((time * 5) % 4 == 0)
map textures\shock\shock_1006_0000.tga
}
{
if ((time * 4) % 1 == 0)
map textures\shock\shock_1006_pc01_0000.tga
}
{
if ((time * 4) % 2 == 0)
map textures\shock\shock_1006_pc02_0000.tga
}
{
if ((time * 4) % 3 == 0)
map textures\shock\shock_1006_pc03_0000.tga
}
{
if ((time * 4) % 4 == 0)
map textures\shock\shock_1006_pc04_0000.tga
}
}

Can you be more specific with what you mean by no effect? Note that you only have a diffusemap defined. So beside the fact that you can see the texture, not much more will happen.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

SKYBOX PREFAB DISAPPEARED?

I've started another map, and went to load the skybox prefab/tdm_sky_stary1.pfb as before, but it's gone? All I have is prefab/skybox/contents/small_church, _house and etc?

Where did it go? I don't belive it. LOL I must be a real dumb ass. :o

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

All I have is prefab/skybox/contents/small_church, _house and etc?

They store the actual skyboxes in the prefabs/nature folder for some reason, the skyboxes folder just has some miniature scenery models.

It seems like I'm having more and more trouble loading maps in DarkRadiant. The screens stay white, and if I minimize the window they go black, but the grid and everything will not appear. Is there something I can do to fix this?

What build of Dark Radiant are you running? and have you tried re-installing Dark Radiant?

Also what AV do you use? as when I was using Avast I had some strange problems with DR so maybe try deactivating your AV and running DR to see if it fixes the problem

What build of Dark Radiant are you running? and have you tried re-installing Dark Radiant?

Also what AV do you use? as when I was using Avast I had some strange problems with DR so maybe try deactivating your AV and running DR to see if it fixes the problem

I believe I'm using the 1.8.1 x64 build. Also, what do you mean by AV? I don't know what Avast is. I have not tried re-installing yet because I'm not sure what I need to back up, would that just be my maps?

I believe I'm using the 1.8.1 x64 build. Also, what do you mean by AV? I don't know what Avast is. I have not tried re-installing yet because I'm not sure what I need to back up, would that just be my maps?

AV = Anti-virus

And in terms of re-installing, you shouldn't have to backup anything because Dark Radiant is stored in a separate folder to the dark mod FM folder (which is where i'm sure you have your map)

But regardless of that keeping a constant backup in a separate location can come in handy if something goes wrong later on down the track.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Need some help.

I'm having a problem with triggering a hidden objective to visible when a certain readable is closed. If you have time and the inclination to help I would appreciate it much. Should I do it with stim\response or script. I know next to nothing about scripting, And S/R editor is confusing me but then again I am a dumb ass:)

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Hi all,

Need some help.

I'm having a problem with triggering a hidden objective to visible when a certain readable is closed. If you have time and the inclination to help I would appreciate it much. Should I do it with stim\response or script. I know next to nothing about scripting, And S/R editor is confusing me but then again I am a dumb ass:)

Add this spawnarg to your readable "trigger_on_close" and set it to "1" and then add a "target" "atdm_target_setobjective_visibility_1" or whatever your target setobjective visiblity entity is called and then when the player closes the book it should trigger that entity which turns the objective to visible and thats it :)

Also scripting isn't that bad! I was intimidated by it at the start but now I prefer and use scripting where ever possible. :)

Edited by Goldwell

Thanks Goldwell,

So simple doh. I was looking for something like that in the add property list. I missed it.

Thanks again.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

Is there any way to have two snd_ files playing in the same location, at the same time? I'm trying to get thunder, and Gregorian church to play in unison. I haven't seen where that can be done yet? Maybe I

just missed it.Thanks in advance.

Is there any way to have two snd_ files playing in the same location, at the same time? I'm trying to get thunder, and Gregorian church to play in unison. I haven't seen where that can be done yet? Maybe I

just missed it.Thanks in advance.

As far as i'm aware you can't play more than 1 sound from the same speaker however you can just create two speakers and move them a couple of units apart. I doubt in game the player would notice.

I did a full re-install, it's still doing the same things. I will try uninstalling it all (darkmod included) if you think that might work. It takes so long to install :(

Damn well I am not sure as every DR problem I have had has been resolved by a simple reinstall. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the matter will pop by and help you out.

As a temporary solution you could try reverting back to version 1.8.0 maybe that helps?

@Goldwell

As far as i'm aware you can't play more than 1 sound from the same speaker however you can just create two speakers and move them a couple of units apart. I doubt in game the player would notice.

I am using location settings; so you are saying to create one more a few units apart? Ok will give it a go. Thanks

@Sycamoyr

Posted Yesterday, 09:58 PM

I did a full re-install, it's still doing the same things. I will try uninstalling it all (darkmod included) if you think that might work. It takes so long to install

I had major problems at first, but were all solved by a reinstall of DR, like Goldwell said. I have my DMod and DR folders separated, if that makes any difference.

The important part is setting up your path after install for DR. It's confusing since you don't need it in the Doom folder anymore.