The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

There is already a moveable apple the player can eat.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I am trying to build a vaulted ceiling for the one room in my WIP. The design that I am going for is similar to the picture below. The idea is that the room is rectangular with the roof being supported by columns along its length; the arches connect to each other (at the same column anchor point) both width-wise and length-wise.

While creating a single arch is not an issue, the problem arises when it comes to adding the longer arch to the same column. Try as I may, I cannot seem to get the patches to work properly, so that they don't overlap and at the same time, keep their form.

Can anyone offer me assistance?

dining-room.jpg

Edited by Dunedain19

IIRC Komag did a video turorial on just that issue. It's hard to find now that his site is down, but maybe you can find it if you search a bit.

At the very least, it might be worth adding a caveat and a link? "This method of lighting is now outdated, see XXXX"

Yeah, that's what I did to one section of the tutorial for the location_system for ambient sounds, not that using speakers is outdated so much as better at other tasks than that one.

But describing the whole location system would have swamped the tutorial for a little task, so I just put a note and a link.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I am trying to build a vaulted ceiling for the one room in my WIP. The design that I am going for is similar to the picture below. The idea is that the room is rectangular with the roof being supported by columns along its length; the arches connect to each other (at the same column anchor point) both width-wise and length-wise.

While creating a single arch is not an issue, the problem arises when it comes to adding the longer arch to the same column. Try as I may, I cannot seem to get the patches to work properly, so that they don't overlap and at the same time, keep their form.

There's no harm in them overlapping either, as in the longer one can be embedded in the shorter ones. Or did I misunderstand the problem?

dining-room.jpg

You mean like this?

post-529-0-06542100-1424810387_thumb.jpg

Oh if it's longer in the center section then this?

post-529-0-75676100-1424811259_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Two new riddles for you guys !

1) There is a corridor, in which there is only a lit torch, and some water arrows. I want the player to extinguish the torch. The problem is that I don't want the player to be able to pick an infinite amount of arrows, and I don't want him to get stuck if he runs out of them.

Instead, I would like a single arrow to spawn every time the amount of water arrows in the player's inventory reaches 0. Do you know how I could do that?

2) I would like to call a script once the torch is unlit. I thought that there would be some kind of spawnarg such as "call_once_on_unlit", but I can't find any. I can't seem to do it with objective conditions either. Is there another way?

Thanks again for your time.

So I have this gigantic scorpion, it is made out of pendulums bound together. I had an idea about dragging whole thing through a piled up crates (pretending to be stone blocks in a wall), but it looks like movable crate physics override pendulum/bobbing impulses, and animation is interrupted at impact. Any ideas how to make it smash through wall, using realtime physics?

Nice mechanics :) I love the pistons and the movement.

The physics system doesn't try to handle chains of pushers, i.e. x pushes y pushes z. It'll do 2, but not 3. I've never tried anything like this, but the first thing I'd try would be a trigger just in front of the wall to activate a forcefield that pushes every block independently, to be set off by your monster.

Hey Deshat,

Here's a script that SteveL wrote for my upcoming FM that seems similar to what you're looking for (it was originally for rope arrows, I've modified it to make it for water arrows).

void dispense_waterarrow()
{
float MAXARROWS = 3;
// Give $player1 a water arrow if he has < MAXARROWS.
string currWeap = $player1.getCurWeaponName();
$player1.selectWeapon("waterarrow");
if ($player1.getWeaponEntity().totalAmmoCount() < MAXARROWS)
{
entity arrow = sys.spawn("atdm:ammo_waterarrow");
$player1.addInvItem(arrow);
}
}
This gives the player a water arrow unless they have 3 or more in their inventory. I put this as the frob action script on a func_static model of a quiver. You could do the same or use a frob_peer'd group of water arrow func_static models. Hope it helps :-).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Hey Deshat,

For your second one, what I would do is put a water response on your torch that triggers a trigger_relay with the wait spawnarg set to -1. That way when water is applied to the torch, your event would trigger (but only once). Hopefully that all made sense, but if it didn't I can put together a more step-by-step explanation.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Thanks for the quick answers Moonbo!

I will try to do as you say tomorrow evening! I'm not sure I completely understood the second part, but I'll come back anyway ^^

EDIT : Couldn't wait, the first one works perfectly! Thanks for sharing! I'll try to do the second part tomorrow.

Edited by Deshtat

If the torch is intented to be extinguished by the player using water (e.g. water arrows), I would use the S&R system. Add a response to water and in that response add an action run script. Also add an action to deactivate the water response on the torch (you can use _self for that) so the script doesn'T run twice. That's it.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

So I have this gigantic scorpion, it is made out of pendulums bound together.

What the heck?? That's made out of pendulums?? How did you get the chain to swing like that?

It looks absolutely incredible!