The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

The TDM universed is partially based on actual, Victorian era history. So, here we have this giant enemy crab scorpion...
Hit its weak spot for MAXIMUM DAMAGE.

Edited by Paralytik
  • Like 2

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

So I was wondering for in game units. How wide are doors, how high can someone step etc. And how much would that be in metric units? Is there any article about that?

Normal doors tend to be 96 or 128 tall. The player can crawl through a gap 48 units wide/high, I think. The player and AI can step up 13 units without breaking stride, more than that the player needs to mantle and AI won't do it. One foot in real-life is a about 13-14 game units. I tend to use 16 units=1 foot to make the mental arithmetic easy when scaling a test map, which is overshooting a bit but that's ok because you want a bit more room in game than you'd typically have in a real-life narrow corridoor.

It can be helpful to add an AI to any bit of a map when you are starting work, so you have a reference to give you a sense of scale. You can just delete the AI once you have the room laid out.

Good evening!

So I've set up a water response on a torch, that is supposed to call a script. The problem is that I don't know what kind of info to give to my function. Here is the script :

void thetutoR4Doors (???) { 

sys.print("\n\nTorch unlit");
$room4door1.activate($player1) ;
$player1.setObjectiveState(8, OBJ_COMPLETE);

}

I tried to give no particular info, but it didn't run. Any ideas?

What the heck?? That's made out of pendulums?? How did you get the chain to swing like that?

It looks absolutely incredible!

Lets see.. If i'm right there is a problem with axis of pendulum movement so I have two versions of chain link .ase, second one is rotated. After aligning and binding you just need to put two arguments (frequency and speed).

1. link [freq .5] [speed 8]

2. link [freq .6] [speed 9]

3. link [freq .7] [speed 10]

4. link [freq .8] [speed 11]

5. link [freq .9] [speed 12]

6. link [freq 1] [speed 13]

mine is large and heavy, so you will probably want higher frequency so it will move faster.

If you want some other chain move in slightly different rhythm, add [phase .5] to all links.

Edited by ERH+
  • Like 2

S2wtMNl.gif

Good evening!

So I've set up a water response on a torch, that is supposed to call a script. The problem is that I don't know what kind of info to give to my function. Here is the script :

void thetutoR4Doors (???) { 

sys.print("\n\nTorch unlit");
$room4door1.activate($player1) ;
$player1.setObjectiveState(8, OBJ_COMPLETE);

}

I tried to give no particular info, but it didn't run. Any ideas?

I think it is one of the following:

• void thetutoR4Doors ()
  • void thetutoR4Doors (entity e1)
  • void thetutoR4Doors (entity e1,entity e2)

The last one is used if you setup the response per script, so this would be my best bet. One of the entities should be the one who causes the response (so the player) and the other which entity responses or so. Just try it.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I think it is one of the following:

• void thetutoR4Doors ()
  • void thetutoR4Doors (entity e1)
  • void thetutoR4Doors (entity e1,entity e2)

The last one is used if you setup the response per script, so this would be my best bet. One of the entities should be the one who causes the response (so the player) and the other which entity responses or so. Just try it.

Thanks for your help ^^ I tried this :

void thetutoR4Doors(entity player1, entity R4Torch) { ...}

However, it still doesn't run. Is "player1" the right thing to write to designate the player?

Edited by Deshtat

I'd love to see a smaller version of that machine as an inventor combat AI.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help ^^ I tried this :

void thetutoR4Doors(entity player1, entity R4Torch) { ...}

However, it still doesn't run. Is "player1" the right thing to write to designate the player?

What's the exact error? Or does the map freeze on startup?

In general avoid using obvious keywords as variable names in scripts. There's some namespace pollution somewhere in the game scripts that I've not got round to investigating that can cause map freeze on startup if you use certain names that are used elsewhere. I'd habitually rename player1 to actor1 or player_ or something before even testing a script to avoid it. But if you get an error instead of a freeze, please post it.

What's the exact error? Or does the map freeze on startup?

In general avoid using obvious keywords as variable names in scripts. There's some namespace pollution somewhere in the game scripts that I've not got round to investigating that can cause map freeze on startup if you use certain names that are used elsewhere. I'd habitually rename player1 to actor1 or player_ or something before even testing a script to avoid it. But if you get an error instead of a freeze, please post it.

Actually, I don't get any error. The script just won't start as it is supposed to. I thought it had something to do with the info, but since I don't get an error, maybe it's all about the calling of the script itself.

Just checking : does this water response look ok to you? It is applied to my torch.

1424899064-waterresponse.jpg

Edited by Deshtat

Sorry I don't know anything about stim/responses. I can only make a guess-suggestion, that "chance" might be defaulting to zero=disabled, based on your screenshot. That doesn't sound too likely though... why would it default to 0? That's probably something that wants fixing in DR instead.

You can tell for sure whether your script is running by putting a

sys.println("Hello world!!");

message at the beginning of the script and using console command com_noprint 0 which will show you console commands at the top of the screen when playing, without you having to open the console. Very useful when debugging.

What's your console output? If the amount of arguments is wrong or there is a typo, the console should tell you. Did you try the version with one argument only.

@SteveL: If the chance parameter is not set it does nothing, which means the response will always be executed.

Just tested it and it is the version that does not take any arguments, so

void functionname()

Well I already have a print command at the beginning of the script, but it won't show in the console, so I guess it doesn't run at all.

I tried with one and two arguments, and without any as well, but still nothing... I really don't get it x)

EDIT : It just worked! SteveL was right : R4Torch was probably used somewhere. All I did was changing the name. Thanks a lot!

Edited by Deshtat

Probably a stupid question now : is there no model for werebeasts?

I tried to add one just for fun, but it looked like a noshader box. When I approached, I heard a roar sound, and the the game crashed. I don't know if this is normal, or if I miss some resources.

The original werebeast was based on the imp from Doom3 iirc. So it used the skeleton/rig and partly anims or so. As all of those stuff is copyright protected, we had to remove it for going standalone. I'm currently working on it and I hope that we can add this asap. But there is no eta, so no guarantee for 2.04.

I see! No problem though, I wasn't planning on including one, I was just messing around... Good luck with that!

Since I'm here, I wanted to ask this : I'm having some weird, unlogical shadows since I started my map. Are these common bugs? Or did I do something wrong?

Here are some examples :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/09/1424996102-lights.jpg

Some lighting issues can also be caused by non-properly working visportals. So check for that, too.

Are you not building on the grid or using a small grid size like size 1?

I mainly use a 8 sized grid for the brushes, though I use smaller grids for entities like torches or items.

Some lighting issues can also be caused by non-properly working visportals. So check for that, too.

I'll do that this evening!

Are you using particles anywhere nearby? I've sometimes found them interacting with light volumes in curious ways.

No, unless the torch flames are considered as particles.

Edited by Deshtat