The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

. All three have nodraw textures and are not displayed in game. It is not possible to revert this model to worldspawn and set proper textures for these three brushes, and I see no other obvious way to set it. How do I turn these nodraws to metal hinges and padlock?

You cannot revert models to worldspawn. If you want hinges you have to select a skin with visible hinges.

aassolid is for pathfinding.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

You cannot revert models to worldspawn. If you want hinges you have to select a skin with visible hinges.

Or I can put custom brushes above these. They're nodraw, so there won't be z-fighting.

aassolid is for pathfinding.

So, if I set up a lift without these aassolids, monsters won't be able to use it?

Edited by Scampada

Stop taffering there, criminal taffer!

I want to make an emergency stop lever in a lift. How can I do this - can I, say, give it an action to change the lift's speed to 0, so it won't lose its target and it won't be required to be restored later. Say, a lever sets lift's speed to 0, it still moves to its target but with zero speed... Than, I activate the lever again, and its speed is restored to normal. Is it realistic or I have to generate something cleverer and complicated?

Edited by Scampada

A quick and dirty would be like this:

1) make the real functional elevator.

2) make an identical (or suitably broken) func_static elevator.

3) when the lever is pulled, call a script.

4) the script in pseudocode:

Get location of real elevator. Remove real elevator. Teleport func_static elevator into the location of the real elevator.

You would need to learn the scripting and the commands to do the things.

I think these exist:

$real_elevator.getOrigin(); //return the location of the entity $real_elevator.

$real_elevator.remove(); //removes the entitty $real_elevator

$fake_elevator.setOrigin(location); //teleport the entity $fake_elevator to "location."

This way, you could even have the fake elevator to be deformed and broken by the stop. Add a loud noise, screen shake and dust particles and I'm pretty sure it will look pretty good! To get the fake elevator to appear exactly at the position of the real elevator, their origins should be at the same relative spot on the entity.

EDIT: oh, the elevator needs to work afterwards. That would mean this approach would not work.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I want to make an emergency stop lever in a lift. How can I do this - can I, say, give it an action to change the lift's speed to 0, so it won't lose its target and it won't be required to be restored later. Say, a lever sets lift's speed to 0, it still moves to its target but with zero speed... Than, I activate the lever again, and its speed is restored to normal. Is it realistic or I have to generate something cleverer and complicated?

I would create an additional elevator position entity and bind it to the moving elevator, give it a position name like "stop" and then set the emergency button to trigger the elevator to goto the stop location when pressed. I haven't tested that but it should then cause the elevator to stop at whereever its current position is when the button is pressed

Both solutions seem to be handy. They have different application area though. Just now I need a usual stop lever, but in the future it would be cool to use this

you could even have the fake elevator to be deformed and broken by the stop. Add a loud noise, screen shake and dust particles and I'm pretty sure it will look pretty good!

Especially since my mission rotates around a volcano explosion.

This isn't so scary, I will need this to simulate a disaster anyway.

Edited by Scampada

Create the buttons, either models or brushes as follows:

• You want either a complete set on each floor reachable from the elevator or alternatively, one complete set on the elevator plus a single 'fetch' button' on each floor.
  • convert to atdm:mover_elevator_button

I'm selecting a button model in the model list and then I'm not able to convert it to elevator_button entity. The corresponding option is grayed. And when I'm trying to create an entity from scratch, it says I had not selected a brush. Why?

10390979_1586191561631378_91381208275103

Aye we have! atdm:mover_elevator_button!

Oh, it's okay. I could only convert it from Entity properties tab. I thought it's okay to RMB and Create entity, too. It worked in other instances before.

Edited by Scampada

Create entity turns brush-/patchwork into an entity if the selected entity has no model and requires one. If you have nothing selected, you get said error.

I think these exist:

$real_elevator.getOrigin(); //return the location of the entity $real_elevator.

$real_elevator.remove(); //removes the entitty $real_elevator

$fake_elevator.setOrigin(location); //teleport the entity $fake_elevator to "location."

I want to teleport the player to a position relative to the player. Would this be possible via the "getOrigin" "setOrigin" pair? IS it in general preferable to use teleporters instead of the "setOrigin" command?

I had a model selected

Than change the entity in the property window.

I don't think you will get a precise answer if you don't ask a precise question, mista ;)

Than change the entity in the property window.

I don't think you will get a precise answer if you don't ask a precise question, mista ;)

I couldn't get it asked more precisely. Thought that pictures would say more than tricky speaking. See, I've formed a triangle with vertices and in the drawing it looks like nice triangle but when rendered in game it looks odd and clumsy.

This my be caused by the texture. Make usre it is applied properly.

You can just first use the side view and cut the brush there, then change to front view and cut there. That way you just see a rectangle each time and do not have to worry about how the shape changes.

From your pictures it looks like you mainly use the 3D view. I have trouble working with it in general. I always use the top and side view to move or edit objects and use the 3D view just to watch how the change looks in the room.

Edited by Destined

From your pictures it looks like you mainly use the 3D view. I have trouble working with it in general. I always use the top and side view to move or edit objects and use the 3D view just to watch how the change looks in the room.

No. I just marked 3D view with red, because the blueprint on the picture wasn't so hard to see.

You can just first use the side view and cut the brush there, then change to front view and cut there. That way you just see a rectangle each time and do not have to worry about how the shape changes.

Maybe it's because of a big grid size, and that triangle doesn't fit into it.

Hey there! I'm almost done with my level (actually, I haven't been working all that much since two monthes...). It's the first time I'm able to go this far in a personal project, and I think I owe you quite a lot! x)

I'm having a unpleasant problem with my pathfinders and patrols, though : I would like to create a scene in which a door suddenly slams open and two guards rush in. Thus, I created this :

- Two guards are created in a "void safe room".

- There is a Trigger_once that the player can activate by walking through a corridor. It triggers some teleporters to summon the two guards in the nearby room, then it triggers the door to open.

- The two guards are targetting a Path_corner that is located near the player. They are supposed to run to it.

The problem is that, as soon as the door opens, the two guards don't rush to the Path_corner. They just stay still until they notice the player.

Is there a problem with the fact that they tried to go to the path_corner while they were in the enclosed void-room? Did they go like "I can't go there for now, so let's ignore it" ?

Thanks!

Edited by Deshtat

If you already wrote the script, you can simply include a function where you let the guards target the Path_corner. Should be something like Guard.target(Path_corner). I am not 100% sure with the syntax, but I think as you have set it up, it is as you said, that the guards target the Path_corner, cannot reach it and thus ignore it. If you let them target it after you teleportet them, it should work.

The way I would do this would be to target each guard to a path_waitfortrigger, and target that to the path_corner (marked 'run 1') near where the player will be.

Then have the door target the AI when it's opened ('trigger_when_opened 1')

Here's what happens:

1 - Guards are waiting to be triggered.

2 - Player walks through his trigger, which teleports the guards and opens the door.

3 - Door finishes opening, triggering the guards.

4 - The guards start to run toward the path_corner near the player.

5 - Guards spot the player.

Remember that only one guard will run through the door at a time, so space them one behind the other when teleporting them.

And if the area where the player is going to be acosted isn't normally reachable by AI, drop an aas32_flood entity (found in AI->AAS_flood) on the floor next to the path_corner.

What do you expect the guards to do if the player runs away? If the path_corner at the trap doesn't go anywhere, the two will stand near it. If you want them to start patrolling, then use a path_corner for each guard, and link them to separate patrols.