The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make an AI stand next to a lever when operating it? The lever's below a flight of stairs and every time the AI on the second floor is supposed to flip it, he just goes above the lever and frobs it straight through the stairwell! Path_corner/interacts don't work for my purposes (it's a lightswitch that shouldBeOn) and I've tried door_handling_position to no avail.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I can't figure out how to set all three coordinates of a point while using the Clipper Tool. I can set two of them just fine - set the appropriate view and click on the figure. But the third one is invisible. When changing the view and dragging the point around the brush, the currently invisible coordinate is always set to some random value, making the point appear far away from the brush.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

It would let you clip on a plane not parallel to one of the axes, e.g. to slice one corner off a cube.

A little experimentation suggests that moving points in one axis may cause them to become collinear with the map origin in another, which I imagine is a bug.

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Pretty cool looking. I had a similar vision for an FM once, but you've brought it to life, at least this one corner of it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Pretty cool looking. I had a similar vision for an FM once, but you've brought it to life, at least this one corner of it.

Thanks! This is more of an experiment to see what an Egyptian-style FM might look like (given current assets/tools), rather than a concrete WIP, so no guarantees this actually sees the light of day. But, if you're interested, I'm completely open to help/suggestions. The sand certainly needs work, for one thing...

And, while it's not the most spectacular asset in the world, if anyone wants the tent, I could maybe turn it into a prefab?

Hey, I remember this was answered before in here but I can't seem to find it. I'm having trouble making a readable scroll display text without being able to be frobbed (like a sign). I tried frobable 0 but that just makes the text disappear. I tried some weird stuff like changing the font to the _world variation and changing the class to just readable_base, but no dice.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

The signs are used like this: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9082-newbie-darkradiant-questions/?p=379350

So maybe you could make a scroll variant of the GUIs in /guis/readables/sign_text_decals/

(Maybe the trouble with "frobable" "0" should be considered a bug?)

Hello!, I have a question regarding visportals:

I have set up a visportal near a door. Whenever I look at the door, even if the door is closed, it is always marked by the Green line (open visportal).

What is the reason for it? (I might post a screenshot soon)

That means the area isn't sealed correctly usually or the transparent spawnarg could be applied to a door that needs to be seen past.

Is it just a regular door that you have? Have you verified that the rooms connecting it are sealed correctly?

If you can't get it working PM me a copy of your map and I'll take a look at it.

Edited by Goldwell

(Maybe the trouble with "frobable" "0" should be considered a bug?)

Yeah I honestly don't know, it very well might be. The small sign readable entity just straight up doesn't work with xdata, and its only difference to the other readable entities is that it has frobable 0 by default.

I have set up a visportal near a door.

Yes, as the above post says the visportal texture needs to intersect the door entity for it to work.

Glad you got it working!

Edited by Goldwell

I didn't even know which software to download, until just now - I will download it and if anyone would care to have a quick talk with me, i'll leave my inbox just here where the biscuits are...

Thanks,

Pete

Hey Pete,

First and foremost welcome to the forums!

The usual recommendation for people starting out is this guide

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Start_Here!

Its very thorough and helpful and explains everything you need to know to get a basic map up and running for The Dark Mod.

If you get stuck or need to clarify something try searching this thread and if you find no answer then simply post your question in here.

The usual recommendation for a first map is to just stick to the basics and don't aim to reinvent the genre, just go through the motions of creating, testing and releasing aap is a lot of fun :)

In terms of the editor we use a program called Darkradiant which you can find on the main site download page.

Good luck!

There must be a way to compartmentalise objects or "weld" bits so there are less objects to load.

There are a couple of ways to 'weld' models -- the SEED system at runtime, "inline" at map compile time - but I wouldn't bother with those yet. For general performance-related advice see http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Performance:_Essential_Must-Knows and the article on visportals.

Edited by VanishedOne

Visportals split up the brushes of the 'world' entity. There's always exactly one 'world' in the level; visportals control which parts of it, and which other entities, get drawn at any given moment.

Don't worry about the entity count per se; entities range from func_statics, which just sit there, to AI, which take up ample processor time when they think. Since all the lighting is real-time, having an object hit by many lights can be bad for performance, so combining objects may be counterproductive. Etc.

Remote camera views are possible but according to http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14394-apples-and-peaches-obsttortes-mapping-and-scripting-thread/?p=351343 a bank of them isn't.

Making things happen depending on whether an AI is unconscious would involve scripting. Edit: actually, I was wrong about that: the Objectives system can detect knockouts and trigger targets accordingly, so the given example could be done with a hidden objective that triggers a teleporter, and a trigger Response on the teleporter that knocks out the other AI.

Edited by VanishedOne