The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I don't want it to loop, since it is already looping. I want it to play, pause, then play again in maybe ten or fifteen seconds.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Pretty sure path_follow_actor is what you want. Yes, A Reputation to Uphold does it.

One thing to note: I tried using this on AI with a long patrol route involving a number of doorways, and kept finding doors left open and the second AI running to catch up with the first. I'm not sure precisely what was going on - which is why I haven't got around to filing a bug report - but it's something to watch out for.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

I solved my texture problem, so I'll report it for the record. To fix it, I nested all the files inside "darkmod" folders inside the dds and texture folders. Without doing that, they never rendered right. I didn't know it'd care so much about the name of a subfolder! That information really needs to be emphasized in the wiki. Edit. I added a note in the wiki about it now.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

One thing to note: I tried using this on AI with a long patrol route involving a number of doorways, and kept finding doors left open and the second AI running to catch up with the first. I'm not sure precisely what was going on - which is why I haven't got around to filing a bug report - but it's something to watch out for.

Ai don't close doors behind them if another ai is attempting to go through there, too. So the first ai keeps it open for the second one. Running ai may also not close dorrs, hence the second guard leaves it open.

It may make sense to let the first ai wait for the second one on some specific spots, especially before he goes through a door.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I don't want it to loop, since it is already looping. I want it to play, pause, then play again in maybe ten or fifteen seconds.

Another option is to activate a trigger_once that has "delay" "10" (or however many seconds you want) that's targeting your speaker.

When the speaker gets activated, activate the trigger_once at the same time and after your set time it will turn it off.

Don't forget to add the "notouch" "1" spawnarg to it as well so the player doesn't accidentally activate it

Is it possible to make the ingame lights ignore an object and pass through it? either by spawnarg on an entity or a brush with a texture?

I have a projected light that I want to pass through an object as if it isn't there

edit: nevermind I figured it out.. "noshadows" "1" seems to do the trick!

Edited by Goldwell

So, what is the current style to get this kind of behavior:

1) map starts -> AI goes to sleep.

2) AI sleeps and does nothing else.

3) if the AI is alerted so that he gets up from the bed, he gets a patrol route and does not go to sleep anymore.

Thanks.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

You can make the AI target a patrol route that starts with a path_waitfortrigger and then when you want the patrol to begin just trigger the AI (not the path_waitfortrigger !) and they'll begin walking. How you could tie that with an AI raising their alert level I've not tried myself, but I assume an objective with an "AI is alerted" component and the AI in question as the completion target would do the trick. If it's about many sleeping AI a script might be more fitting, but I don't know. I'm sure if you set "start sleeping" on the AI but then make a looping patrol route, they'll sleep and do nothing else, but not go back to sleeping after they've been alerted/triggered. Obviously don't include the path_waitfortrigger in the loop, start with the first path_corner after that one.

Edited by Spooks
  • Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

3) if the AI is alerted so that he gets up from the bed, he gets a patrol route and does not go to sleep anymore.

Thanks.

There's a mention on the Wiki - Sitting Behaviour for AI of this:

2.03 -- if you put "sitting" "1" on an AI and then target him at pathnodes that have an "alert_idle_only" "1" spawnarg on them, the AI will sit as long as he is not alert, but will start patrolling (and will no longer sit) once he is alerted.

Thanks.

Check my map Builder Roads. I did something similar there with the guard in the small shed.

Thanks for the replies. I've done behavior like this before using the objective system to catch the AI alert. That always felt tedious and clumsy way to do it, so I was wondering if someone has figured out a more elegant solution to this.

Dragofer's proposal looks most facile if it works. I'll test it and report back here.

Clipper

Thanks for the replies. I've done behavior like this before using the objective system to catch the AI alert. That always felt tedious and clumsy way to do it, so I was wondering if someone has figured out a more elegant solution to this.

Dragofer's proposal looks most facile if it works. I'll test it and report back here.

Yes, appears to work as advertised on sleepers, too. Thanks! This makes it much easier to handle sleepers.

• Like 1

Clipper

This is interesting. In the editor, there is both a sound_loss and a snd_loss property. These show up as different types of properties:

post-2023-0-41468100-1464281417_thumb.png

What does this mean?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The snd_ prefix is used in the location info entity to set up different ambient tracks to be later called on by the location settings. "sound_loss" is the correct spawnarg to use for location separators (and you can put negative values to actually increase the volume of all sounds coming through a particular VP, iirc), snd_loss is a custom spawnarg to put in a location info.

As confusing as the fact that func_portals have to be set with portal_dist to hide, rather than hide_distance (like every other entity you want LOD on) if you ask me :blink:

• Like 3

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Illuminating! Thanks.

Don't confuse info_location entities with info_locationseparator entities with location_settings entities.

That "snd_loss" spawnarg in the picture does nothing. It looks like the author meant to put that on an info_location entity, not an info_locationseparator. There is no "snd_loss" spawnarg on an info_locationseparator. (There is a "sound_loss" spawnarg, and it's used correctly in the picture.)

"ambient" on an info_location entity (i.e. "ambient" / "snd_sewer") is meant to match up with a "snd_sewer" / "<real name of sound shader>" spawnarg on a location_settings entity.

A couple of questions:

For the record:

$light.fadeToLight('1 0 0', 4);

- changes the colour of a light to 1,0,0 within 4 seconds. It looks awesome when the whole room gradually turns red.

$speaker.fadeSound(SND_CHANNEL_ANY, -30, 1)

- changes the s_volume spawnarg of an active speaker to become -30 within 1 second

What I wasn't able to figure out was how to gradually vanish, or materialise, an object (I sound like a magician). I've gone by Wiki - Script Reference and the closest thing I found was FadeEntity, but TDM refuses to load the map because that command is unknown, no matter what combination of upper/lower case I use.

Any ideas please for how this last effect can be done in TDM?

Edited by Dragofer

idTarget_FadeEntity appears to target several entities, take the color of the first as the "fade from" value, and the color of the idTarget_FadeEntity as the "fade to" value, then fades the targets from "fade from" to "fade to" over a "fadetime" defined on the idTarget_FadeEntity.

While the code exists to support this, I don't see the object defined in our *.def files, so it hasn't been implemented or tested.

Since the colors involved include an alpha channel setting, I suppose this could be used to fade something out.

But what it does exactly would need to be determined by creating the *.def for a idTarget_FadeEntity and testing it.

Other than that, the only way I can think of fading away an object is to create a set of progressively transparent materials and skins for it, and changing those skins over a period of time.

To be more precise about the "snd_" prefix, it's the prefix that id chose for speaker spawnargs for the sound it will pre-cache in the loadup to play at some point in the mission. I just (for the wiki) made the location system follow the same convention as any speaker.

Someone could test to see if it's even necessary. I don't think I ever actually tested it; I just took the convention.

Edit: But grayman answered the question. There's nothing special about snd_loss that I know about.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

For the record:

$light.fadeToLight('1 0 0', 4);

- changes the colour of a light to 1,0,0 within 4 seconds. It looks awesome when the whole room gradually turns red.

$speaker.fadeSound(SND_CHANNEL_ANY, -30, 1)

- changes the s_volume spawnarg of an active speaker to become -30 within 1 second

What I wasn't able to figure out was how to gradually vanish, or materialise, an object (I sound like a magician). I've gone by Wiki - Script Reference and the closest thing I found was FadeEntity, but TDM refuses to load the map because that command is unknown, no matter what combination of upper/lower case I use.

Any ideas please for how this last effect can be done in TDM?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14394-apples-and-peaches-obsttortes-mapping-and-scripting-thread/page-10?do=findComment&comment=318798

Fantastic, this blew up my expectations of how well done the effect would look. I've been watching a patch wink in and out of existence, after making a reverse variant of that script.

The only downsides are, for one, that it needs specially prepared textures - so there'd still be some convenience in having a func_fadeEntity.

For the other, that the glowing patch needs to be slightly behind the ordinary-looking patch, so at the moment you can't really have the glow effect on models. Would there be a way to make the ordinary texture override the glow texture so they can be in the same space?

While the code exists to support this, I don't see the object defined in our *.def files, so it hasn't been implemented or tested

Would this .def simply be a func_fadeEntity - so, a coloured box with a line referring the fadeEntity function? I've looked to see how idTarget_remove is implemented and that seems to be how it's done. (I ran out of time for now to find this out).

On a sidenote, some more for the record:

crossFadeEnt($entity, '1 0 0', '0 1 0', 2);

- gradually changes the _color of a colorme textured object or a light from red to green within 2 seconds.

Edited by Dragofer