The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Oops, posted in the wrong thread... well might as well give my two cents.

Building in a huge caulkbox is problematic since, in my experience, the more open leaves there are, the longer the dmap process takes and the slower the game will be, as there's a lot more space for the game to calculate the visibility of.

Edited by Spooks

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Just noticed that I can't turn off ambient light - I even made a switch pointing directly to the light and it automaticity turns on after less than a second. Is it some info_location_settings feature?

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

I would bet it is. The locations_settings can change ambient light, so that could well mean it takes veto control over any other changes too.

In that respect it's the equivalent issue of the "override" problem for sound.

I added an override specifically for the sound for 2.04, so I guess it'd need a similar system to override the ambient light.

I only guess because it's not my code & I haven't looked at it to see how it works.

You could try to setKey the ambient light values in the location_settings and see what that does.

You could also try more creative things like teleporting the light far away or something like that.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Difficulty_Levels#Changing_CVARs Mentions that you can change CVARS while in a map by putting those spawnargs on entities. Which entities? Worldspawn? How do I, for example, turn on noclip at the start of the map, or modify the player's height? Is the wiki conflating cvars with spawnargs?

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I have a noshadow light bound to players head by script,

vector origin = $player1.getEyePos();
$light.setOrigin(origin);
$light.bind($player1);

but sometimes I have one particular texture (iron_rough) blinking when I'm moving, making it completely unlit at some positions.
I'm guessing lantern light don't have such errors so I wonder how I could have lantern activated by script but not by player "use" action - or how to make proper bound moving light.

S2wtMNl.gif

I have a noshadow light bound to players head by script,

vector origin = $player1.getEyePos();

$light.setOrigin(origin);

$light.bind($player1);

but sometimes I have one particular texture (iron_rough) blinking when I'm moving, making it completely unlit at some positions.

I'm guessing lantern light don't have such errors so I wonder how I could have lantern activated by script but not by player "use" action - or how to make proper bound moving light.

You could create the entity 'light_lantern_moving', which is the same one that the player lantern uses, it's probably going to be already on by default if you create it like this.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Difficulty_Levels#Changing_CVARs Mentions that you can change CVARS while in a map by putting those spawnargs on entities. Which entities? Worldspawn? How do I, for example, turn on noclip at the start of the map, or modify the player's height? Is the wiki conflating cvars with spawnargs?

Nobody? Fidcal has a thread on here from 2010 that states there are no "mapvars", so if you can't really change cvars in your FMs without resorting to including an autoexec.cfg in your .pk4 this piece of info on the wiki should be scrubbed.

Spooks,

More than one person told me once to not mess with player state using cvars/console, and instead create items (entities?) and/or use scripts. Eg, "invulnerability potion" turns on console god mode via script. "shrink/speed/"drunk" potion" alters player size/slow/fast/camera rot. via script, etc...

"Wallwalking" potion would turn on noclip or something, for set time, or something.

I think I started writing a script for player size change, because I couldn't get sense from that page other than the different configs of maps n stuff (rotations of "entities as rooms for routes" but came up with a more elegant "mechanical" solution for that using switches that set a room's rotation on difficulty and/or after event / hidden objective - again using some script) and naming dif. levels.

I wanted the player to shrink like in Alice in Wonderland / turn into a rat with a potion, to get thru a small hole. In the end, decided to not bother and focus on other things. I hate scripting - I can't do it any more without a punch-bag nearby and I've been at it since BASIC on my BBC...

Maybe you can find a way around it by applying a "poison" effect to the player at start via difficulty that alters whatever it is you need..?

Not scrubbed - it's useful info - moved to context (eg, http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Difficulty_Editor) perhaps, since I think that's where they are used.

idk.

Maybe cvar doesn't mean console variable in this instance, and means client/config variable - idk... can't figure it.

Have a butcher's at this:
http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Cvars_in_The_Dark_Mod

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Adding_new_Cvars

sys.setcvar("name", variable);

Edited by teh_saccade

Nobody? Fidcal has a thread on here from 2010 that states there are no "mapvars", so if you can't really change cvars in your FMs without resorting to including an autoexec.cfg in your .pk4 this piece of info on the wiki should be scrubbed.

I think the wrong terminology is being used there. It should be spawnarg not cvar?

I wonder if you can piggy-back that cvar onto the info_playerstart entity anyway. Worth looking into...

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah, I should try this at home:

Edit: No, this doesn't work.

I don't think the root class for console commands idCmdArgs is exposed to entities.

"classname" "info_player_start"
"name" "info_player_start_1"
"angle" "-1.4033418253411173e-014"
"origin" "-1374 -92 -244"
"noclip" "true"

What I wanted to do was make my PC run a little faster by modifying pm_runmod to a greater value while you're in my FM. If I can't do it via cvars I can't think of any other way to achieve it without messing up walking speed. Oh well. I still think the _cvar portion of the difficulty page should be cleaned up, as spawnargs can very well be influenced by difficulty with that similar syntax, but that info is already on the page.

I couldn't find anything during my searches last night but there may be a way.

If you wanna increase the surface area for available resources about whether this has been tried, you can try reaching out to the

Old-Timer Doom3world veterans at:

http://idtechforums.fuzzylogicinc.com/

I don't understand why I get lesser fps when view is narrowing. In most wide shot I have over 50fps, on second shot over 40, near ovens over 30fps, and when I look directly into one -over 20fps. In both ovens I have one moving torch light. Shouldn't it be easier to process if there are less objects in view?

SZOuKtS.jpg

PHjvdFv.jpg

nRCCZ0M.jpg

CDgwpzp.jpg

S2wtMNl.gif

@ERH+

Standing inside certain particles can drop fps a whole lot - it might be this is what happens more and more as you get closer to the particle.

• Like 2

You've pretty much established that it's the particles. My bet would be that particles may have a system that simplifies their rendering with distance.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I think I had a similar problem where my FPS would drop to 13 when i was inside a freezer room in one of Goldwell's maps, Edgar's bathhouse maybe. It had just one or two particles, but those must've tanked it for me. One of the smoke particles is definitely doing something wrong and it might be the one you picked.

omrrdw4.jpg

I've seen somewhere before this topic but I can't find it. I have several of these shadow/light lines coming from light point, also light boundaries appear as a cube in similar way. I'm guessing it have something to do with stretched patches, so can I i.e. put this toilet bowl model in Blender and fix it?

S2wtMNl.gif

I've seen those shadow lines within light cubes in the log cabin of One Step Too Far as well. The fact about that cabin is that each log is a semicircle patch all along the length of the wall. I did put in extra subdivisions to keep the triangles shorter, but looking back they're still quite stretched. So long thin triangles, especially in tubes, may be the cause.

• Like 1

You could turn the patch's shadows off and then substitute with another hidden but working shadow source. (I know there are some, but have to search what the options are.)

• Like 1

I have an issue with rotated door. When it is rotated in x and z dimension ("rotation" "0 0 1 -1 0 0 0 -1 0") it will behave same way both if it have "rotate" "0 90 0" or "0 0 90". Of course I can make a custom model, but is it a bug?

S2wtMNl.gif

You mean it's at an angle (like a basement/storm shelter door outside)? An old problem with that is that the door code rotates on the a square axis (z only?), not a rotated axis. Not so much a bug as the code just wasn't made for rotated axes.

You can search the forums, but I think there isn't a simple solution. IIRC somebody made a script to do the math of rotating on an angled axis and even that was wonky.

Edit. Wait I may not be imagining it right. Maybe you should do a screenshot with arrows showing what it does & what you want. I was talking about like 60deg axis rotations, but you want to rotate on the square y axis, right? I'm less familiar with why that should be a problem, and what I said may not apply.

On image pairs of doors: open and closed. First pair from left have "rotate" "90 0 0", second "0 90 0", third "0 0 90". All doors are 90 degrees flipped so their hinge is now in y axis.

y8jbvk5.jpg

Doors with "rotate" "0 90 0" and "0 0 90" rotate in same axis, only counter clockwise.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif