The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I get this when I press 'T'

attachicon.gifdarkradiant.png

Thanks for the suggestion, that looked promising and does indeed show - some - textures which I know could only be from models, when untoggling 'hide unused'. But no paintings unfortunately. By the way, like grayman I don't have the button that you have between 'hide unused' and 'find and replace'. What does that do again? (My DR is the pre-release 2.0.5, win7 64)

I've ended up sorting myself out like this - could be useful for anyone who in the future uses parts of a custom painting pack:

- look up names of painting models used under map info -> models. Note that there can be paintings both in the decorative and decorative/wall folders.

- look up which size of painting each model uses, i.e. painting01_m, and group them that way.

- for each group: create a new filter named after the painting size and add each painting model (type: entitykeyval, entity key: model, match: *name of painting model*)

- activate the painting filters, then hide the whole map

- deactivate one painting filter, then go into ortho view and note down which skins are used by the paintings of that texture size category. I've hidden every painting that I noted down. Go through each filter this way.

- As a result you'd know which skins are used in which sizes in your map.

This was tedious but worthwhile, after I also converted the .tga diffusemaps into .dds the archive size decreased by 50mb.

I am looking for a particle effect for steam rising off of melting snow in the sunlight. The cookpot steam particle is a bit small and rapid and the fog particles seem too voluminous. Does anybody have a suggestion for such a particle?

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Could someone give me a tip how I can change the text of the 'mission complete' screen? The wiki and the customisable gui file only seem to have provisions for changing debriefing videos.

Find the gui file it is defined in and change it.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Find the gui file it is defined in and change it.

The problem with this is that there's a bold-printed warning that only one gui file may be changed by map authors, mainmenu_custom_defs, and the only mention of 'complete' in that is for the soundshader. I've already changed that.

I've located the 'mission complete' text in the strings folder, english.lang. Will get to work on that.

You can ignore that warning ;)

You can ignore that warning ;)

Great. This is just the kind of info that you can only get via the forums or gradually through experience and trials.

Is the mainmenu_briefing.gui the only one that's sensitive to:

if ("gui::CurrentMission" == 1)

{

}

elseif ("gui::CurrentMission" == 2)

{

}

I've defined a new mission complete sound (#define MM_MISSION_SUCCESS_ALT_SOUND_CMD "music mission_complete_alt;"), setup a new soundshader with the specified name, and made a new string which should get used at the end of part 1, but if I put in these conditionals then there's no music at all and no mission complete text in both missions. (Without the conditionals my new 'assets' work.)

I've split my mission in two parts and would like to avoid that players who weren't following the story all too closely or whose English is less polished see a generic mission complete screen and believe the whole thing's over and done after part 1.

Does someone recall a way to make store-bought inventory items persistent between maps?

Edit: solution was on the shops wiki page, not the campaign one:

"shopItem_N_D_persistent" "1"

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 2

Alright, here's a tougher question:

What would I be missing for the AIs to relight my custom oil lamps? Going by the Relighting Lights Wiki I'd need these spawnargs:

AIUse AIUSE_LIGHTSOURCE
lightType AIUSE_LIGHTTYPE_TORCH (for flames)
lightType AIUSE_LIGHTTYPE_ELECTRIC (for electrics) -----> this type is the one I'd choose because I'd want them to frob on/off.

Some of these look like they're already in the light entity from which my lamps inherit, but I've copied them all over again into my entity defs and again in DR, in both cases for both the lamp model and the attached light entity (set x on flame) to be sure. And shouldBeOn 1, with that capitalisation, to both lamp and light in DR.

But when I present a Builder with an extinguished custom oil lamp he doesn't comment or act on it. This is in a well lit room where he's managed to relight a stock lamp, and all possible notice/relight chance spawnargs are 1 on him.

These are the entity defs involved:

The lamp model I'm testing this on:

entityDef atdm:oil_lamp_standing1
{
"inherit" "atdm:static_light_lit_base"
"model" "models/darkmod/lights/extinguishable/oil_lamp_standing1.lwo"

"editor_displayFolder" "Lights/Model Lights, Static/Oil_Lamps"
"editor_usage" "A lit oil lamp, can be switched and extinguished by water."

"extinguished" "0"
"noshadows_lit" "1" // turn off shadow when lit
"noshadows" "1" // lit, so has no shadows
"frobable" "1"

"def_attach" "light_oilflame_covered"
"pos_attach" "flame" // At the attach point called "flame"...
"attach_pos_name_1" "flame" // ... which is defined here.
"name_attach" "flame" // Give it a name to pass along spawnargs
"attach_pos_origin_1" "0 0 81.5" // Offset the light a bit//doesn't appear to work
"attach_pos_angles_1" "0 0 0" // rotate the light
"light_center" "0 0 81.5"

"skin" "oil_lamp_standing1_lit"
"skin_lit" "oil_lamp_standing1_lit"
"skin_unlit" "oil_lamp_standing1_unlit"

"frob_action_script" "frob_light_holder_toggle_light"
"lightType" "AIUSE_LIGHTTYPE_ELECTRIC"
"AIUse" "AIUSE_LIGHTSOURCE"
}

The base from which the lamp model inherits:

entityDef atdm:static_light_lit_base

{

"inherit" "func_static"

"editor_usage" "Base class for static lit light fixtures. Don't use."

"editor_displayFolder" "Lights/Base Entities, DoNotUse"

// use the tdm_light_holder script object to allow LightsOn(), LightsOff() and LightsToggle():

"scriptobject" "tdm_light_holder"

"extinguished" "0"

"lightType" "AIUSE_LIGHTTYPE_TORCH"

}

The oil light entity:

entitydef light_oilflame_covered
{
"inherit" "atdm:light_base"
"editor_usage" "Static oil flame for covered glass lamps, can only be extinguished by gas or by frobbing the lamp."
"editor_displayFolder" "Lights/Light Sources/Candle Flames"
"clipmodel_contents" "131072" // CONTENTS_RESPONSE

"mins" "-1 -1 -2"
"maxs" "1 1 2"

"scriptobject" "light_ext"

"editor_model model_lit" "Set to the model name the light should display when lit (usually a flame particle)."
"editor_model model_extinguished" "Set to the model name the light should display when just extinguished (usually a steam particle)."
"editor_bool extinguished" "Set to 1 or 0 based on whether the light starts out extinguished or lit. Default is lit (0)."
"editor_snd snd_lit" "Sound the light plays while lit (e.g., roaring torch sound)."
"editor_snd snd_extinguished" "Sound the light plays when just extinguished."
"editor_var ext_hide_delay" "Seconds to wait before hiding the model after light is extinguished. This should be long enough to insure that the extinguish particle and sound play to completion. Default is 10 seconds."

"extinguished" "0"
"lightType" "AIUSE_LIGHTTYPE_TORCH" // grayman #2603

"model_lit" "tdm_fire_oil_glasslamp.prt"
"model_extinguished" "tdm_fire_oil_glasslamp_extinguished.prt"

"falloff" "0"
"texture" "lights/biground_candleflicker_shadow"
"_color" "0.95 0.8 0.48"
"light_radius" "170 170 150"

"snd_lit" ""
"snd_extinguished" ""

"should_be_vert" "1" // grayman #2603 - douse if flame orientation is > 45 degrees from vertical

// stim/response:

"sr_class_2" "R"
"sr_type_2" "STIM_GAS"
"sr_state_2" "1"
"sr_script_STIM_GAS" "response_extinguish"

// This stim can be turned on to have AI notice the light is off
"sr_class_5" "S"
"sr_type_5" "STIM_VISUAL"
"sr_state_5" "1"
"sr_radius_5" "500"
"sr_time_interval_5" "977" // every second or so

"lightType" "AIUSE_LIGHTTYPE_ELECTRIC"
}

The light_base entity from which my light entity inherits:

entityDef atdm:light_base

{

"inherit" "light"

"editor_light" "1"

"editor_usage" "Base class for all TDM lights, extinguishable or not."

"editor_displayFolder" "Lights/Light Sources"

// For AI context driven decision making

//"lightType" "AIUSE_LIGHTTYPE_TORCH" //not all lights are torches

"shouldBeOn" "0"

"noshadows" "0"

"nospecular" "0"

"nodiffuse" "0"

}

Edited by Dragofer
  • Like 1

Why did you add a visual stim to your lamp? The scriptobject handles this.

Try removing this lines

// This stim can be turned on to have AI notice the light is off 
 "sr_class_5"     "S"
 "sr_type_5"     "STIM_VISUAL"
 "sr_state_5"     "1"
 "sr_radius_5"     "500"
 "sr_time_interval_5"     "977"     // every second or so
  • Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion - in the case of the light entities it looks like it's the default for tdm's light entities to have that visual stim. The lamp models, however, don't have this stim. My defs mirror this. I've commented out the stim from my light entities to see what happens but unfortunately things didn't change.

How do you mean that it's handled by the scriptobject - does it apply and toggle the visual stim automatically, or does it use a different system? I've done a quick test of deactivating the visual stim on the default candleflame and the Builder relighted it as normal.

Yeah, the script toggles the visual stim.

And the model doesn't need the stim, it's needed for the light entity.

And now the lamps are fixed: had an AI relight a whole row of them in one go. The problem was that the stim/response ID #'s weren't sequential and in the correct order after I deleted some of them which meant they didn't work. ID 2 and 5 became ID 1 and 2. I've updated the link in Dragofer's Stuff. Thanks grayman.

I'm struggling with getting a locked vault door that is controlled by number wheels to work.

I know that Airship Ballet did this in the first La Banque mission, but because I don't understand the fundamental script components involved, I am getting stuck in replicating it.

There are four buttons in total, two on one side of the door and two on the other. The correct number combination has be inputted on both sides. Once this is complete, a series of unlocking sounds play and then the vault door becomes frobable.

Can someone kindly help me set this up?