The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Number wheels are quite complicated to script. You can have a look at this thread, where Goldwell started a discussion about it:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17304-number-wheel-doesnt-read-0s/?hl=%2Bnumber+%2Bcombination&do=findComment&comment=375241

Maybe Goldwell and/or SteveL could provide a prefab for a number wheel. I think this is a thing many authors would like to use, but cannot because it is quite complicated to make...

Edited by Destined

Have you tried asking Airship Ballet if you can make a prefab out of his Vault system? No point reinventing the wheel if it's already been done. :)

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

1. Her (just so you know), 2. she was pretty adament she wasn't returning, and 3. She was known for giving assets so I don't think it's be a problem, just give credit in the readme & probably personalize it to your own style.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Number wheels are quite complicated to script.

That's actually not correct. You just have to concern a few thing (that I didn't in my FM were I've used one :( )

@Dunedain: If you can sent me a pm with the assets (buttons, door to be unlocked, etc.) I would be happy to help you. But it may take until tomorrow as I have a loooong day today (team meating :( )

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I was browsing TDM videos on youtube and found this old video of an AI using an elevator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMm1eTKnlo

Did that end up making it into the game?

I have an AI that has a path that requires using an elevator however when they reach the elevator they just stop and do nothing. Do I need to add the path_interact with with the button or do I need to do something so that they automatically do it when going from path_corner a to b (that involves using an elevator to get there).

I was browsing TDM videos on youtube and found this old video of an AI using an elevator

Did that end up making it into the game?

I have an AI that has a path that requires using an elevator however when they reach the elevator they just stop and do nothing. Do I need to add the path_interact with with the button or do I need to do something so that they automatically do it when going from path_corner a to b (that involves using an elevator to get there).

I did a lot of work with the elevators a few years back, so the AI interaction with them can be pretty complex now w/o breaking.

That having been said, there are a few things that can break the interaction that aren't obvious to the mapper.

We could exchange "check this, check that" messages for days w/o getting anywhere (I've been down that rat-hole w/other elevator designs), but the quickest path to a solution is for you to PM me the map and let me see what's going on.

I did a lot of work with the elevators a few years back, so the AI interaction with them can be pretty complex now w/o breaking.

That having been said, there are a few things that can break the interaction that aren't obvious to the mapper.

We could exchange "check this, check that" messages for days w/o getting anywhere (I've been down that rat-hole w/other elevator designs), but the quickest path to a solution is for you to PM me the map and let me see what's going on.

I'll send you a copy of my map to check out then if that's easier. Thanks! :)

To create decals, select the surface you want to make a decal for (in select face mode or with SHIFT+CTRL+24px-Left_mouse_button_2d.png). Press the “create Decals for selected Faces” button, it will create apatch for each selected face, which will be exactly in the same plane. Another way to create a decal is create patch yourself and place it were you want. Assign a texture to it from the Media browser, the texture browser or with the surface inspector.

I did as adviced and the selection just cancelled... No patch to apply any textures to... What am I meant to do then?

Stop taffering there, criminal taffer!

I did as adviced and the selection just cancelled... No patch to apply any textures to... What am I meant to do then?

That's not what happened at my end, patches showed up where expected (selected surface, then went to brush -> create decal patches). I'm using greebo's 2.0.5 beta DarkRadiant version.

The way I normally create decals is to select the brush, change orthoview so that I'm looking directly at the intended surface, then Patch -> Create Simple Patch Mesh, untick Remove Selected Brush. The popup window lets you choose how many rows and columns of vertices you want to have in the patch.

Edited by Dragofer

It could also be, that you don't see the patch, because it is exatly in the plane. You can try to move it slightly up, to see it. Or have a look at the YZ/XZ-orthoview; you should first see the selected brush and after applying the patch only a line for the patch. Also, keep in mind, that the patch will have the same dimension and the brush you first selected in the XY-orthoview. If it gets deselcted, try to repeatedly hit Alt+Shift+LMB in the XY-orthoview to cycle to all entities at this position. At some point you should hit the patch.

Edited by Destined

Hm, it should not disappear completely. Part of it is supposed to be transparent (that is the purpose of the Decal after all), but it should not disappear completely. Do you change the size of your decal? When you create the decal from a brush, it will have the same size. As a consequence, if you want to create for example a blood splatter on a wall, the decal texture will be stretched over the complete wall and it might be that the part you want to see is covered by something else, while the rest is transparent. So you have to resize the decal patch to the size you need. Apart from that, I could only imagine that the decal texture is part of a filter that you have activated... What decal texture are you using?

Checking checking checking...

You are right.

https://pp.vk.me/c604519/v604519354/27dcf/P85tJInESXs.jpg

Silly me.

Due to drastic sloweness of my editor I had turned off plenty of elements at Filters menu last time I launched it. A year ago or about.

Edited by Scampada
  • Like 1

Stop taffering there, criminal taffer!

So I've done a camera trolley for player laying down on bed - with help from this topic :

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13059-func-animate/

6oVcMf9.gif

And the problem is that model make 180 degrees turn but after this came back to start orientation (instead of continuing animations with new alignment), and same thing with idle laying that starts on ground level instead of sit-2-sleep level. How can I fix it?

My models .def are:

entityDef atdm:ambient_shipcrew_acting
{
"editor_displayFolder" "AI/ambient"
"spawnclass" "idAnimated"
"model" "tdm_ai_townsfolk_commoner"
"skin" "commoner/well_dressed_reddish"
"start_anim" "idle"
}

with args:

"anim1" "idle_turn_180_lft"

"anim2" "sit_down"

"anim3" "sit_2_sleep_rgt"

"anim4" "sleep_idle_rgt"

"anim5" "sleep_2_sit_rgt"

"anim6" "sit_up"

"anim7" "idle"

"blend_in" "10"

"loop_last_anim" "1"

"num_anims" "7"

"auto_advance" "1"

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

This post is unrelated to my earlier question concerning my issue with number wheels.

I was doing a bit of AI testing and since TDM 2.04 - which made a lot of changes to how the AI searches - the AI in my one area has now become incapable of opening the necessary doors to investigate sounds on the upper level of the room.

The room in question is an open area that features a second floor walkway and the AI is a common, unarmed servant that is currently stationary. I do plan on having him patrol around the area, however.

Before, if I was to fire a noisemaker arrow around that walkway, the AI would hear the sound, proceed through the ground-level door that provides access to the stairs, then ascend to the second floor, open the next door to the walkway, and then go directly to where the arrow landed.

Now, the AI runs towards that ground-level door and...just keeps running around in circles. Only if I have opened all the doors between the ground floor and the second floor does the AI manage to get himself up to the walkway to investigate the sound.

While it may be comical to watch, this does represent a radical departure from the previous search pattern, which was fully functional.

Thoughts?

Thanks for responding so fast, grayman.

I haven't made any changes to that core room between 2.03 and 2.04.

I will make that change right now and re-edit this post if it makes a difference.

EDIT: I made the change, but no difference in behavior. He does run up the stairs once the door has been opened for him by the Player. Previously, the AI would keep running in circles even with the door open.

Edited by Dunedain19