The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

In the def-file containing the head base, it says that they are idAFAttachments. If I understand that correctly, this means that the head has to be attached to an animated entity. So, in order to use them without a body, I supposed it should be possible to create an AI-body, that consists of only one bone to which you attach the head. Of course, the animations of the head would also have to be disabled, unless you want a head that looks around and blinks (I am not sure if it would greet other AI etc. as I am not sure if this is coded for the head or the AI).

Edited by Destined

Bit of an odd question here. Besides the zombie, are there any decapitated AI head models available? The .md5mesh versions just give me an error and don't appear in-game (I'm assuming they're there for internal purposes and can't actually be used as func_statics).

Would be helpful if you would post the error here ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I just tried something that worked: Instead of using a "func_static" entity (which apparently does not utilize md5meshes), you can use an entity class that uses md5s. I tried "atdm:attachment_point_swinging_lod" (under Animated Props, as I assumed, that anything animated will more likely use md5meshes) and changed the model to a head. This head then appeared in-game without problems.

• Like 2

No that I think about it func_animate might be the entity that was designed for that purpose, but I may be wrong.

• Like 1

So I tried my original func_static method and didn't get the same console printout as last time, which is odd. Still no head in-game though. Also tried the atdm:attachment_point_swinging_lod and actually got a full-blown game error (x y z are just the numerical coordinates of the object):

Game Error

idAnimated 'atdm_attachment_point_swinging_lod_1' at (x y z): cannot find anim 'idle'

func_animate produces console printout:

WARNING: idAnimated 'func_animate_1' at (x y z): cannot find joint 'origin' for sound playback
  • Like 1

I think I know why it worked for me and not for you: You most likely used the *.md5mesh as a model (as you can use it via the "choose model" button). However, for the mde5mesh file there are no animations defined. You will have to use a model name as it is defined in a def-file. This will have a couple of animations for the head (among others the idle animation, for dead heads, the "sleep" animation would also be good, as there the eyes are closed). You can find the defined models in the def-files tdm_ai_heads.def and tdm_ai_heads_springheel.def. There you have a section that looks like this as an example:

model head_citywatch_base {
inherit head_model_base
mesh models/md5/chars/guards/citywatch/citywatch_head.md5mesh

}

From this you can copy the name right of the word "model". Then, not the md5mesh is used as a model, but the mode including its animations.

The md5mesh cannot be used in this case, because you would have to delete the start_anim spawnarg, which you cannot.

• Like 1

Greetings, folks!
I was never deep into the "implement own content" thing but now i am at a point i get stucked with a "must have" light texture.

I wonder why it isnt ingame anymore, thought it was in it some verions ago (?)

To get all on board, i talk of this one:

post-3575-0-80221600-1487674940.jpg

I created a .pk4 in the tdm folder with following folders/files in it:

tdm_textures_ownlights.pk4

->materials
->window_hammer_orange_round.mtr
->textures

->lights
->window_hammer_orange_round.tga
->window_hammer_orange_round_ed.jpg

The .mtr has this content (more or less ctrl c + ctrl v):

textures/lights/window_hammer_orange_round
{
qer_editorimage textures/lights/window_hammer_orange_round_ed
{
//forceHighQuality
map textures/lights/window_hammer_orange_round
colored
zeroClamp
}
}

I cant see the texture or the ownlights folder neigher in the light inspector nor in the media texture folders.

Excuse me if this is a real "primitive" problem but how i said i never did much own content :wacko::unsure:

I Beleive that texture was used for a projection light in flakebridge monastery, if you open that nap you can see how it was done.

Up the spiral staircase, illuminating the statues.

Yeah, that was also my first idea. I got the source from this fm folder but it dont work. I tested different ways, folderstructures (more on the original tdm pk.4 structure orientated).

The structure i showed up with is now nearly the same like my little own texture collection .pk4 and this folder i can see in the media browser.

Maybe there is a tricky difference from normal textures to light textures?

That's textures/darkmod/glass/stained_glass_hammers_two_sided, and it is still present. Maybe you have overseen it?

its

lights/window_hammer_orange_round

{

{

forceHighQuality

map textures/lights/window_hammer_orange_round

colored

zeroClamp

}

}

Thats the original content of the fm i think. how ever also with this copy and paste i cant see any light entity texture.

That's textures/darkmod/glass/stained_glass_hammers_two_sided, and it is still present. Maybe you have overseen it?

Yeah, the texture still exists but i cant use this one as a projection image, cant i? :mellow:

Oh my god, i created good visuals since many years but failing on such an easy task :unsure:

Maybe i got carried away to early at this topic and i think in a wrong direction over all?

I only want this orange hammer as a projection :ph34r:

Should be useable as a light.

I wouldn't recommend using that one, I made the hammer window into a transparent two sided stained glass window.

I would recommend using just the original texture.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Got it! :laugh:
Long night left in the dark, half day wasted but finally, after a frustrated "f*** TDM" shooter gaming round and some basic changing of my mapping style (project oriented or just a bunch of wild files and folders...artists :rolleyes::blush: ) it works.
At this point a question into the community

How do you create/implement own content?

-Project oriented in one folder TDM/maps/mission x/ maps * texture * particle and so on
-saving the map in maps, using own pk4 in mainfolder for the own content
-others i cant imagine
?

Does anyone know if it's possible to make it so that on doors a sound plays as the player frobs it to close rather than once the door is fully closed?

Got it! :laugh:

Long night left in the dark, half day wasted but finally, after a frustrated "f*** TDM" shooter gaming round and some basic changing of my mapping style (project oriented or just a bunch of wild files and folders...artists :rolleyes::blush: ) it works.

At this point a question into the community

How do you create/implement own content?

-Project oriented in one folder TDM/maps/mission x/ maps * texture * particle and so on

-saving the map in maps, using own pk4 in mainfolder for the own content

-others i cant imagine

?

The way I do it is project oriented, but rather than saving all the stuff in TDM/maps/xyz (an approach that won't work anyway because /maps/ itself is hardcoded to be a sub-folder of the TDM root) I save it in TDM/fms/my_fm_name_folder/. You do not have to pack any assets in .pk4s - that can be saved for when you're shipping the mission - the game does just fine in recognizing folders in the /fm sub-directory as Fan Missions with their own folder structure.

So in your case you could put your custom content is TDM/fms/my_fm/materials/custom.mtr and TDM/fms/my_fm/textures/darkmod/lights/custom_light.tga, and the map of course in TDM/fms/my_fm/maps/my_map.map. Then you can choose the FM from the mission selector in-game and run it that way. Oh, but before I forget! In order to be able to do that your project folder has to have a darkmod.txt and startingmap.txt files. Just copy paste those from another pk4 and change the contents to fit your info and map name, they're pretty self explanatory.

Edited by Spooks

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

The way I do it is project oriented, but rather than saving all the stuff in TDM/maps/xyz (an approach that won't work anyway because /maps/ itself is hardcoded to be a sub-folder of the TDM root) I save it in TDM/fms/my_fm_name_folder/. You do not have to pack any assets in .pk4s - that can be saved for when you're shipping the mission - the game does just fine in recognizing folders in the /fm sub-directory as Fan Missions with their own folder structure.

So in your case you could put your custom content is TDM/fms/my_fm/materials/custom.mtr and TDM/fms/my_fm/textures/darkmod/lights/custom_light.tga, and the map of course in TDM/fms/my_fm/maps/my_map.map. Then you can choose the FM from the mission selector in-game and run it that way. Oh, but before I forget! In order to be able to do that your project folder has to have a darkmod.txt and startingmap.txt files. Just copy paste those from another pk4 and change the contents to fit your info and map name, they're pretty self explanatory.

Thanks for your advice and the way you handle your maps. Thats the way i will go from now on. When i only used the preset textures etc. and didnt finalise a map to the release i only used the "common map setup".

But the project oriented way is much easier over all although there are some more steps needed at the beginning.

I also realiced that it is a good idea after some years of TDM absence to reread the starting tutorials for mapping because of new documents and improvements.

If i look at this two playlist (thanks toObsttorte and Judith)

Obsttortes lets map

Dark Radiant Tips

i
think a mixture would be VERY helpful. And at this point i mean for all possible new members or like me partial noobs :D
The idea of Obsttortes lets map is cool but for problems and questions i cant watch all this (long) videos.
In return the DR Tips (i know, its a new channel, maybe more is planned :huh:) are just text.

This two combined would be great. Each time a 10 minutes tutorial to different topics. Also the comments maybe become issue specific discussions.
The real "first steps" are fine with the already good text tutorial(s) in my opinion.

But things like maybe

-creating new lights (model-entity-lightsource combination) or
-first steps of implementing own textures or
-first steps of scripting

would be a good thing. Maybe we can call this things second steps in TDM/DR.
I know there are several contributions in the wiki and the board but if you really have no idea of a (bit harder) topic its often a bit complicated to find an answer.
Also, a tutorial video collection is much more motivating and attractive than a wild text, script or an hardly comprehensible infoboard

Dont blame me if i think to big or overstrain the developers/community :blush:

Well, they will be mostly notes and maybe some screenshots, as higher production stuff takes much longer to make and edit.

For the stuff you requested, light entities might be too advanced for now, as you need to know exactly what you're doing with textures, materials, and light properties. I'd leave that for now. Writing materials and scripts is basically programming, although materials are relatively easy when you just use texture source without any special instructions.

Also, a tutorial video collection is much more motivating and attractive than a wild text, script or an hardly comprehensible infoboard

I disagree on this point. I myself prefer a written tutorial over a video. Mainly because I like to listen to music while mapping or doing something similar. In this case, a written tutorial is much better. But this is mostly a matter of taste, so it would be best if both options exist.