The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I disagree on this point. I myself prefer a written tutorial over a video. Mainly because I like to listen to music while mapping or doing something similar. In this case, a written tutorial is much better. But this is mostly a matter of taste, so it would be best if both options exist.

I kind of like both, but I prefer them to be brief and concise. IMO, wiki is in dire need of short step-by-step instructions and brief explanations on how things work, with proper examples. Going through packages shipped with the game or inside missions isn't as useful as one might think, as you still waste a lot of time trying to figure out what was the idea behind particular solution.

Edited by Judith

Make the hallway wider, he's probably trying to go to the side to give himself enough room to open the door.

LOL at the fixing

Originally the hallway was touching the door, but then I expanded it to 8 doom units each side but I still had the problem, I then expanded it to 16 doom units both sides but still had the same issue. If I make it any larger it wont fit into the room so i'll just have to leave it as is unfortunately. I guess i'll just list it as a known bug with the map in the release thread if no one else has any ideas. It happens 3/4 of the time but 1/4 of the time the AI runs to the door and opens it correctly when fleeing.

Thanks anyway though!

Have you tried a handling position? This is the section of the Doors Wiki page:

Door Handling Positions

It is also possible to set custom door handling positions for the AI. This is especially useful when the standard routine that lets the AI choose their standing positions while opening and closing the door fails, leaving them standing still, or circling around in front of the door helplessly.

Place a movers > atdm:door_handling_position entity where you want the AI to stand while opening/closing the door from this side.

On the door, you need to set the spawnarg "door_handle_position" "name_of_door_handling_position". You can also place a door_handling_position on each side of the door, and the AI will automatically choose the right one. In this case, you need to set spawnargs with "door_handle_position_1" etc., and the corresponding names of the door_handling_position entities on the door.

The door_handling_position entities can also carry spawnargs that define the behaviour of the AI, which are useful for example for doors that can only be opened or locked from one side:

"ai_no_open" If set to true, the AI will not try to open the door from this side (but will still walk through when the door is already open).

"ai_no_close" If set to true, the AI will not attempt to close the door from this side.

"ai_no_unlock" If set true, the AI will not be able to unlock the door from this side, but still use it when it is not locked.

"ai_no_lock" If this is set true, the AI will not lock the door from this side.

Edited by Destined
  • Like 2

If i look at this two playlist (thanks toObsttorte and Judith)

Obsttortes lets map

Dark Radiant Tips

i think a mixture would be VERY helpful. And at this point i mean for all possible new members or like me partial noobs :D

The idea of Obsttortes lets map is cool but for problems and questions i cant watch all this (long) videos.

The Let's Map videos where never intented to serve as a tutorial, although one might gain one or the other information from it. ;)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

the corridors not wide enough for the doors handling position, which is right hand (of AI facing door) in front of doors keyhole, then from that, the width of the AI plus some extra for the AI's bounding box.

If this is the case, the AI will stand directly in front of the door, in the middle of the hallway.

• Like 1

Have you tried a handling position? This is the section of the Doors Wiki page:

Thank you! Following this has fixed the problem. Can't believe i've never heard of that before.
And thank you also to everyone else for your offers of help and suggestions :)
  • Like 3

Hello,

I'm trying to attach a letter (classname atdm:readable_immobile_paper01) to a door.

The door has the name atdm_door_96x48_2hinge_1 and the letter has the argument

bind atdm_door_96x48_2hinge_1

When the door is closed, only the door gets highlighted and I can't read (open) the letter ingame, no matter what angle I try or how far the letter is positioned away from the door.

When the door is opened I can read the letter (it gets highlighted and I can highlight/select the door and letter separately.

Can someone please give me hint what I'm missing or how to correctly attach letters/notes to a door?

I'm guessing binding the readable to the door somehow makes it so the readable isn't frobable when in the closed position. I've not tried binding readables to movers myself, but how about this - could you make a dummy nodraw, small, cube brush and put it near the door, make it to a func_static, then bind it to the door and the readable to the dummy FS? Maybe this middle man might solve the issue.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I used a immovable readable entity, so it's not frobable. I just tried that approach with the func_static, unfortunately it is still behaving the same way. What's irritating me is that the letter is accessible as soon as the door is open. But I checked and there are no hidden brushes or anything else blocking the space around the closed door. The door has a visportal (on the opposite side) but even removing that makes no difference.

It seems to have something to do with the difference between mobile (frobable) and immobile scrolls. I could frob a mobile scroll from an open and closed door, but an immobile scroll could only be read if the door was opened.

I'll make further tests with different door orientation.

Ah, now I understand what you meant, Spooks. And indeed the scroll has to have direct contact with the door. Attaching a func_static to the door and binding the scroll to the func_static to put it a little further away from the door and avoid the door clipping through the scroll also works.

But while the scroll is selectable with this approach, the required angle and distance at which it highlightes require much trial and error from the player. Perhaps one would have to create a custom scroll with a thicker invisible brush and that might make the highlighting easier for the player.

I guess I'll use frobable scrolls, which don't seem to have such problems with doors.

Or perhaps there is another solution?

Create a caulk brush that's larger than the readable, and place it on the face of the door. The one I used was 17x22x0.5.

Bind it to the door.

Create your readable and place it in the center of the brush, against the door.

Bind it to the door.

Give it a frob_bias of 2.

Back on the caulk brush, give it a spawnarg of "frob_peer" "<name of readable>".

Make the caulk brush frobable.

Hello grayman,

sorry I have to ask again.

So I have

1. a door with

name:atdm_door_96x48_2hinge_1

2. a brush larger than the scroll and in contact with the door (also tried a func_static) with

frob_peer:atdm_readable_immobile_paper01_2

bind:atdm_door_96x48_2hinge_1

frobable:1

3. a scroll inside the brush with

name:atdm_readable_immobile_paper01_2

frob_bias:2

Is this correct?

It does dmap, but when I try to load it, TDM goes back to the menu and gives the error:

Tried to bind world to "atdm_door_96x48_2hinge_1"

Can you please tell, what I'm doing wrong?

Edited by OGDA

Another question:

Is it possible to create a group of objects (lets say a doorway consisting of an door-entity, a visportal, some monsterclips and the doorway as a func_static), make it the "source" and when I update that the instances of that doorway-group update every of that instances of the doorway where they are placed on the map?

So that I don't have to manually again delete and replace all doorways with the source if I make a design change to my original doorway?

The only thing I can think of, that is automatically updated, are things that you write into def-files. These will be updated for any entity that uses the definition, when you change it. However, this will not be possible for design choices. Well, if you create a new door definition for each door you use, you could change the used model/skin in the def-file, which would then be updated for each door using this definition. However, I am not sure, if this is really worth the effort, as it only affects one entity at a time.

How can I change the sound of player footsteps on a model, specifically the non posh mirror and hairbrush.

The sound of it is way off, it's like you are walking on a metal floor, when it should be much more subtle.

I've been rumaging around the wiki, but have not found a way to do this.

Neon

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/