The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I have added the location system to control the ambient sound, works perfect.

Now I have noticed, that the system changes ambient light in the visleafs as well - in some locations it gets significantly brighter, in some others it gets darker.

I have deleted the relevant properties from the location entity (dist_scal, dynamic_cap and falloff), but the effect as descibed above does not vanish.

If I delete the location entity, then everything is ok and my original ambient_world light does the job with the defined values.

How can I stop the location system from interfering with the ambient light?

Edited by JackFarmer

Grayman - if abusimplea keeps talking to in the manner they do - there's going to be a problem.

Don't believe any of us have time for that.

Not contributing anything constructive doesn't lead to anything constructive nor help anyone.

I understand they're young and into minecraft, but that is no excuse to continually goad me at every interaction.

It would be a better all around solution to get that working generically, rather than having to make alternate versions for each mission.

What does the closebar function do that NewJob needs but other maps don't?

Without it, in NewJob, the locking bar of the safe does not slide back into place when the door is closed and the safe locked by changing the combination. (console, 123 incorrect combination, locked, nothing else to do, or something - I can't remember the script's output. You or grayman wrote that, icr the //comments).

Edited by teh_saccade

Without it, in NewJob, the locking bar of the safe does not slide back into place when the door is closed and the safe locked by changing the combination. (console, 123 incorrect combination, locked, nothing else to do, or something - I can't remember the script's output. You or grayman wrote that, icr the //comments).

Maybe it would make sense to change the script for the core mod and create a new custom script specifically for "A New Job"?

• Like 1

That solution is why I asked the questions I did.

I'm glad someone came up with add function to base, script the mission and allow others to more easily use the combo-safe as module/design asset without problems as backwards FM compatibilty.

Had said it - it would have likely been dismissed unless it was someone else's solution to an issue raised by another. oh wait... it was.

Edited by teh_saccade

Maybe it would make sense to change the script for the core mod and create a new custom script specifically for "A New Job"?

Well, then if people wanted to just copy the safe from NJ and use it in their map, it wouldn't work unless they also copied the specific script.

So the issue is that people want to use the combination lock in situations that don't have a sliding bar like the safe in NJ does? Can't both scripts live side by side, or am I misreading the quote below?

// Did anyone test to see if changing tdmbase01.pk4 script means that A New Job still works? (yes it does).

This reminds me of the issue about "passing self" via a script call. That, as a new function, would make contingency scripts so much easier to handle, since you could have 5 different buttons call one script to trigger 5 different contingencies, as opposed to the current way where each button has to call its own script, so now you need 5 scripts, since buttons can't currently pass their identity to the script.

The thing is it would bug up some FMs. The solution would be like this one, just make either a new kind of button or a new "call" function in buttons' spawnarg that calls a script and passes the button's name to it when it's used that way, but the old way still works in parallel so it doesn't mess up old maps.

Sorry that's kind of an aside, but this issue reminded me of it as part of the discussion of parallel features, new ones to fix problems in parallel with old deprecated ones so old maps aren't broken.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Gotta admit - the idea of having the combination lock as a prefab that can be scripted for [multiple] target would be really nice.

Not only can be used in safes, but also similar to T2:shipping&receiving - for doors or key holders and would allow for more exploration and observation or investigative based alternatives to "find the key" for progression.

The fact it's only 3 digit combination means it wouldn't take long to brute-force either, if anyone was really stuck. Difficulty could be ramped by adding two combination locks.

---

Quickly testing out ANJ - renaming the mission, inserting the "fixed" script (rem barthing) that stops people's use of the safe in other missions causing a crash - saving the mission in DR, minus ai, and calling the "fixed" script over base, dmap and play - it works fine, 'cept the bar won't move. Didn't notice a crash without // closebar($thatthing) line.

TBH it might be that the combination lock is more wanted than the safe itself - allowing custom safe designs, but providing the more complex mechanism (eg, disable tools while using combination lock, scroll wheel - rather than change combination with buttons and movers). Plus it negates the need for obstortte to provide the function or the game to include in base for that one particular thing with the bar.

With a bit of a reshuffle - the closebar function might simply be a mover / nurbs glued to the door that's timed after the wheel turns...

It's possible to bolt an open door.

While it might leave the vis. open and cause some ai issues if they're to close the door (eternal, huh, close door), it's kinda neat to put a barrel bolt on a door with a catch on the frame than use the old piece of wood barring the way.

A combination bolt is security rated 4/10.
Chain of key hunts is boredom rated 8/10.

Allowing people to use the NJ safe function (ie, the combination lock) without it being tailored for that one particular safe (with closebar) does appear to be a good solution that mightn't affect anything other than expanding a mission author's toolkit and creative freedom.

It would be a better all around solution to get that working generically, rather than having to make alternate versions for each mission.

What does the closebar function do that NewJob needs but other maps don't?

The safe in 'A New Job' has a bar that nneds to be opened before the actual safe door can open (the bar is part of the door). As I have stated before the script was designed for that mission specifically and was never intented to be part of the tdm stock files and never intented to be available for general purpose (but iirc tdm 2.05 was out the door when I mentioned this). The script should be located in the 'A New Job' fm folder. Of course everyone is free to look at the setup and adopt it for their own FM, although I would appreciate it if mappers would take the time to try and understand how the setup actually work instead of just 'using' it and than wonder why it doesn't work or complain about errors they get (especially as the error message in the console is pretty clear in this case on what the actual problem is).

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hey everyone! I'm pretty new to Dark Radiant, and I'm building a "test mission" for myself, and I have two questions for you guys.

1) How do I create a briefing for my mission? I was already able to create my objectives, readables, etc., but a briefing eluded me so far.

2) On my map, a buggy shadow triangle thingy is forming on the ceiling of one of the rooms, and I can't figure out the reason behind it. I tried changing the ceiling's texture and the location of the light source but the triangle stayed. Anyone experienced something similar?

Well, thanks in advance for the help!

Hello Nocturnal,

1) Creating a briefing for your mission is covered in your new best friend, the A-Z Beginner's guide on the TDM wiki (also contains links to another and video tutorials at the top of the first page):

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Start_Here!#Story.2C_Briefing

// ps, don't forget to follow the highlighted link to Briefing: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Briefing

2) It might be that the buggy shadow triangle thingy is what is referred to as "z-fighting", in that there are two brushes that are overlapping and both assigned textures are fighting to be displayed at once - a screenshot would be useful if you want to attach a screenshot using the "more reply options" button (500kb max).

Edited by teh_saccade
  • Like 1

Yep, this looks like z-fighting. This means you have two planes that are touching each other (maybe tow wordspanw blocks that end on the same height). You can get rid of it, by moving one of the planes a unit or so upwards.

Edited by Destined
  • Like 1

for combination safe you do know that its possible to change the frobable condition of an item via script, so you could just make the door on the safe unfrobable until the bolt holding it shut is drawn. When drawn, the bolt could then call a script to make the door frobable. you also don't need to use a nurbs curve to move movers, you can move movers to a named nodraw coated entities origin.

its the $<name of entity to move>.moveTo($<name of invisible item you are moving to>);

eg

$safebolt.time(6);
$safebolt.decelTime(1);
$safebolt.accelTime(1.5);
$safebolt.moveTo($safebolt_pos_1);
sys.trigger($safebolt_sound_one); //clunk sound for bolt drawn
sys.waitFor($safebolt); //wait for safebolt to stop moving after the moveTo();
$safeDoor.setFrobable( 1 );

Don't need nurbs for movers that at least move in a straight line:p

Gonna guess that $safebolt is the bar entity and $safebolt_pos_1 is the no-draw entity that is used to snag the origin for $safebolt to slide on over to? Named worldspawn or must be entity, eg, func_static?

That's a nice, simple script to do the same thing.

$safebolt could be substituted for anything - eg, even another no-draw func_static entity that is bound to a ragdoll to snatch it into a blood-stained vent or down a pit, from a trigger as the player spots it (a la alien - ragdoll held in place by bind to the no-draw func_static).
In which case sys.wait(time as integer) might be used, before setting a new trajectory if required; as sys.waitFor is used for mover entities.

I'm a little more scared of the builder's boiler-room guy, now, that person was dragged and beaten to death with a wrench - maybe chasing him scared him off..? He's obviously not as harmless as he makes out and it explains why the cook was gloating about how she always has fresh meat at this pilgrimage way-station in her kitchen journal... Now I might search her room to find a secret note from the boiler room guy saying the next "delivery" is waiting in the usual place and trigger an optional objective to find a way to expose their plot (cos I've read the "fresh meat" kitchen journal, triggered the body event and now have the "delivery" note - enough evidence to warrant investigation) or end it by any means necessary (either drop the note and journal evidence on the abbot's desk or take 'em out - fun way's to KO them and chuck them down the well, but headshot does the trick).

That's a side-quest, designed to give me something else to do in a limited area, add a bit of intrigue and not get bored with the main quest. Plus I've a few options on how to deal with the situation: A lawful way and hope the abbot's not in on it (oh I find out he is? Now I gotta give all the evidence to that guard officer who I might've read was investigating suspected disappearances, as I was nicking all his stuff earlier when I first infiltrated, somehow...), a slightly less lawful way (kill all conspirators) and a idgaf way (ignore it and just complete my main mission).

Think of all the cool stuff you could do with that simple script - a player walks down a hallway with a mirror at the end and - as they approach, a buzzing starts and, with a scream they see the lights go out and a spotlight reveal a haunt or enemy in the mirror, but - by the time they've turned around to approach or run away - lights change back the corpse/enemy/ghost is no longer there as it has been moved out of the light and into a playerclip, 100% darkbox in the ceiling at super-speed as to have "vanished". A nice little, one-shot "wtf" trick to raise the pulse for an otherwise bland corridor I'd use to roll a smoke and make tea while waiting for the inevitable patrol, IN WHICH THE PAINTINGS AREN'T LOOT, AGAIN!? ART'S THE MOST VALUABLE THING, DAMMIT. A piece of paper's worth $100 - just ask a $100 bill.

Why opening a safe might be the same as a billion other things.

Knowing a simple thing like the script functions that Stumpy's just put, and how they might be applied, can open the opportunity for a lot of stuff to develop in a mission and its narrative (now with simple intrigue events, not only pages of readables I can't be bothered to read due to lack of intrigue).

Edited by teh_saccade

A good way to find a texture in is to either do a search of the ../darkmod/tdm_textures_whatever.pk4, or opening a mission where you've seen the texture, selecting that brush and then re-opening your map - it will stay in the media browser.

As with painting, sometimes it's good to create a collection of brushes for your map, your "palette" of textures used where each face contains one of the textures, so you can quickly select one and apply it without having to browse for it again.

Similar to keeping a reference of colour swatches and how you achieved that colour by mixing 1:1:1:10, red:green:blue:white for a flesh tone.

• Like 1

void helmet_light()
{
      vector origin = $player1.getEyePos();
     $helmet_light.setOrigin(origin);
     $helmet_light.bind($player1);
}

Binding something to player meets some problems not occurring with AI - "bindToJoint" : "head" will make light cone change angles as AI change poses, but if bound to player it will always be positioned horizontally (and will ignore crouching - if bound while player was crouching it will remain at waist level when player stand up, and vice versa) - in original Doom3 flashlight had light texture moving with player eye angles, can I reproduce it?

S2wtMNl.gif