Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

void helmet_light()
{
      vector origin = $player1.getEyePos();
     $helmet_light.setOrigin(origin);
     $helmet_light.bind($player1);
}

Binding something to player meets some problems not occurring with AI - "bindToJoint" : "head" will make light cone change angles as AI change poses, but if bound to player it will always be positioned horizontally (and will ignore crouching - if bound while player was crouching it will remain at waist level when player stand up, and vice versa) - in original Doom3 flashlight had light texture moving with player eye angles, can I reproduce it?

Bind it to the same joint as the player lamp is bound to or to the head.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Bind it to the same joint as the player lamp is bound to or to the head.

Made a modified lantern, but apparently it is designed for simple round texture - it bobs when player moves, it tilt while switching to crouch position, but It don't take mouse up/down movement into account. Binding to head joint don't work, it need some more mouse feedback.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

You can use a func_forcefield with the impulse arg for making a player move faster while underwater, call a trigger, ERH+

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Func_Forcefields

// Although... tbh... I haven't used one for a few versions, so idk if they still work. Hopefully they do!

Edited by teh_saccade

The underwater movement speed may either specified in a spawnarg in the player definition or stored in a cvar. In both cases you can change that value.

• Like 1

You can use a func_forcefield with the impulse arg for making a player move faster while underwater, call a trigger, ERH+

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Func_Forcefields

// Although... tbh... I haven't used one for a few versions, so idk if they still work. Hopefully they do!

But forcefield push in a fixed direction, I want player to move faster wherever he actually looks at a given time.

The underwater movement speed may either specified in a spawnarg in the player definition or stored in a cvar. In both cases you can change that value.

Where can I find / edit / put these files? I have no idea about cvar.

I've found only this in tdm_defs1/tdm_player_thief:

//"pm_crouchspeed" "80"

"pm_walkspeed" "60"

//"pm_runspeed" "220"

So I need

sys.setcvar("pm_runspeed", 300);

while in water, but how can I make a constant check if player is in water?

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

Perhaps there's a way to check if the player is in water by using the sound of the player entering and exiting the water as the start and end checks, rather than constantly checking for position..?

Or activating and terminating the script using a pair of trigger_multiples over the water, lower one calling the script to raise the player speed as you want, "in water current" and the uppermost to revert it to "out of water current". (IF the speed > default).

• Like 1

Would someone please not be so kind as take a few moments to help me figure out how/why I've managed to break dark radiant and can no longer create entities..?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19339-cannot-create-new-entities-bug/

It's still 0 views, and it's kinda annoying - if the only fix is to clear everything DR related (or only prefs?), then confirmation that the only option is clean install would be useful.
I haven't managed to figure how to fix it myself...

Thanks.

It's still 0 views, and it's kinda annoying

From my personal experience the chance of a response is inversely proportional to the length of the respective post made ;)

It's also good to keep in mind that some folks don't see these posts for up to 24 hours after they're made. RL, etc. I was once admonished for not letting enough time go by after asking a question and then making a decision based on the answers I got w/in the first few hours.

You have a question from me, in that thread, posted 5 hours ago.

From my personal experience the chance of a response is inversely proportional to the length of the respective post made ;)

How is it possible to determine the length of the post made, if it has zero views? E.S.P? ;)

Decent bug reports list recreatable action and method, along with workaround and evidence of action.

This was provided. Nothing more, nothing less.

Misquoting me so that it appears I am saying that 0 views is annoying rather than the fact that not being able to create entities is annoying is cherry-picking an argument, smarming a straw man fallacy.

I'm getting fed up with this kind of attitude - please refrain from using it with me, if you'd like me to treat you in a respectful manner rather than mirroring the passive-aggressive snark ;)

"Am vielen Lachen erkennt man den Narren."

// thanks grayman - what you suggested, I stated as the only way it is now possible to create entities. Unsure as to why the other methods now do not work.

Edited by teh_saccade

How is it possible to determine the length of the post made, if it has zero views? E.S.P? ;)

I've read it before you made the post here, so don't rely on the view count shown. ;)

Misquoting me so that it appears I am saying that 0 views is annoying rather than the fact that not being able to create entities is annoying is cherry-picking an argument, smarming a straw man fallacy.

I'm getting fed up with this kind of attitude - please refrain from using it with me,

Obsttorte did not "misquote you". He quoted your words directly, and interpreted them accurately according to the punctuation and grammar you used. If that's not what you meant, then that's on you, not him.

In addition, I've talked about the chance of a response, not of a view.

I've you experience a sort of communication towards your character that you don't see towards others, then it is much likely the source of the issue is how you handle communication. Unless you consider it likely that the half the forum secretly decided to bully you. :ph34r:

• Like 1

i read it as well early after the post was made, i couldn't work out what had been done, the only uncomfortable thing was directly changing world_brushes to entity brushes without using convert world brush/s to a func_static came across as the worse thing you could do. its likely you ended up with a map file containing a list of more than one map definition, when dark radiant loaded that file it got confused about which map definition should be loaded and broke the camels back.

How to create some equivalent of trigger_hurt that removes all ragdolls and movables inside?

Can you be a bit more specific?

You could use a trigger_touch. It gets activated by everything inside its bounding box. Set "call" "removeInside" as spawnarg on the trigger and add the following script function to your map script.

void removeInside(entity activator)
{
    activator.remove();
}

The button that activates the lava should target a trigger_relay, which than targets the trigger_touch. Set an appropiate delay via the "delay" spawnarg on the trigger_relay to activate the trigger_touch once the lava is high enough. If the button is to be pushed only once, so the lava goes down again on its own without having the player to push it again, the button should also target another trigger_relay with a higher delay set, targetting the trigger_touch, too, so that the trigger_touch gets deactivated again.

• Like 1

A log would be helpful. But in the meantime try the following script instead

{
    sys.wait(sys.random(1));
    activator.remove();
}
  • Like 1

Try this:

void removeInsideThread(entity activator)
{
    sys.wait(sys.random(1));
    activator.remove();
}
{
    thread removeInsideThread(activator);
}

This shifts the commands to a separate thread to make sure the wait command really works. (I barely remember it getting ignored when used in functions called via triggers etc...)

• Like 1