The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

The entity browser includes an object called "combination lock"

post-37993-0-04150100-1538246302_thumb.jpg

As the description says, I have linked it to an appropriate target and set custom numbers.

In game, TDM always crashes to DT when I start cycling through the numbers via the mouse wheel.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Edited by JackFarmer

Sounds like the same issue I ran into here. My work-around was to do the following:

• create a dummy entity somewhere in the name, named "safe_bar" (or rename an existing entity)
  • create a script called "closeBar". In \maps\<your map name>.script (same name as the .map file), add the following (I had to create the script file):
// dummy script because tdm_numberwheel_lock.script expects one (http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19639-crash-to-desktop-using-combination-lock/?p=427297)
void closeBar(entity ent)
{
}
  • Like 1

Sounds like the same issue I ran into here. My work-around was to do the following:

• create a script called "closeBar". In \maps\<your map name>.script (same name as the .map file), add the following (I had to create the script file):

Hello Joe,

1. The script has to be named "closeBar.script" or "mapname.script"?

2. The location shall be fms/mission folder/maps?

Jack,

The script file is called mapname.script (assuming your map is called 'mapname.map'). It is a text file, and it needs to be in fms\mission folder\maps (same location as the .map file). Its contents are just these few lines:

void closeBar(entity ent)

{
}
As an example, attached is the script file from my recent map. Although, I had to rename it to warehouse.script.txt in order to attach it to this message, because this message board won't let me attach files with a .script extension.

warehouse.script.txt

Evening all,

Has anyone here ever gotten this error?

PY97Wj5.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is what's breaking both my particle and readable editors. Right now I basically can't create either, and it's driving me nuts...

I can confirm this is happening in both Windows 7 and Windows 10, two separate machines. Absolutely didn't happen back in TDM 2.05 or DR 2.5.0.

Here's what happens when attempting to create a new particle:

adACvZr.jpg

And here is what my mod path looks like:

zmWUBbX.jpg

Readable Editor settings:

kKakA81.jpg

[Edit]

Manually adjusting the xdata path seems to have fixed the readables editor (sort of), but I feel like it's a very band-aid solution to a deeper problem. The particle editor is still broken though.

9zJrVva.jpg

And this is what happens when attempting to edit an existing xdata file:

j6oAm4f.jpg

Edited by Aosys

I've never had problem with TDM on the desktop before. Like I stated, TDM 2.05 and DR 2.5.0 worked great with my existing setup. Updating something seems to have broken it - I suspect DR might be the cause, since the way settings work were tweaked between the two versions.

Also, I don't have a mission folder set because I hop missions very frequently. Also hasn't been a problem previously.

Where is everyone installing their TDM these days? Program Files? I can maybe see if I can do a fresh install on the Windows 10 machine and see if installation location clears it up. It just puzzles me why the current location wouldn't work, since it did before.

Question about patch vertices. I'm looking at OPMs (Other People's Missions) and I found this patch mesh:

post-2024-0-31896400-1538497933_thumb.jpgpost-2024-0-55258100-1538500088_thumb.jpg

As far as I can tell this has 3 columns and 4 rows of vertices. But the Create Simple Patch Mesh command only allows odd numbers of rows and columns (3, 5, 7, etc). How do you get a patch like this one, with an even number of rows or columns?

This is a 3x5 patch (3 columns, 5 rows). The fourth row is overlapping with the third or the fifth one. You can tell this by the color. If both column and row number are odd, the respective point is pink. If at least one of them is even, the point is green.

Patches can't have an even number of rows or columns as the even and the odd numbered ones are handled differently. The pink points mark fixed vertices, whereas the green ones are used to create the bends, but do not neccessarely have to be a vertex (as you can easely see in the image you have provided). So a dangling green point would only provide the direction, but not the end point of the particular part of the patch, and therefore not enough information.

• Like 2

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I have tried to create a moveable as described in the wiki http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Moveables but I do not get it working.

post-37993-0-21149200-1538507042_thumb.jpg

A - Model

1. Turned the brushes into func_static

2. Changed the classname to atdm: moveable_base

3. Gave it properties for mass and friction

4. Used Script/Export model and save the .ase file in the WIP/Models folder

B - Collision model

1. Covered the model with a brush and made sure that the origins correspond

2. Gave it the texture collision and converted it into func_static

3. Used File/Save selection as collision model and stored it under WIP/Models folder

Result:

The model folder includes both the .ase and a .cm file. After compiling, I always receive a game error because the collision model can't be loaded. Is there something I am missing

Have you changed the "model" spawnarg to point to your ASE?

(Or better yet created a replacement entity using it, since I'm not sure what happens to an entity's brushwork when replaced by a model, and I vaguely recall someone having trouble with an entity that still had unused brushes.)

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Have you changed the "model" spawnarg to point to your ASE?

A - Model

1. Turned the brushes into func_static

2. Changed the classname to atdm: moveable_base

3. Gave it properties for mass and friction

4. Used Script/Export model and save the .ase file in the WIP/Models folder

5. change property model from "func_staticxxxx" to "WIP/Models folder"

Like that? If I add step #5, then the origin of the pillar changes and I have to put it in place again. Dmap then works and the model appears, but:

- model sank a little bit into the ground

- model is not frobable

- model is not solid

(Or better yet created a replacement entity using it, since I'm not sure what happens to an entity's brushwork when replaced by a model, and I vaguely recall someone having trouble with an entity that still had unused brushes.)

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. Could you be so kind and elaborate?

Edited by JackFarmer

I'm not certain of the details of how the ASE exporter handles origins, but I see it has a 'Center objects at 0,0,0 origin' option.

As for the other thing, I was remembering buggy behaviour someone experienced after replacing brushwork with a model from the asset folders by editing the entity's spawnargs. I just tested though and DR removed the brushes entirely, so maybe it's been fixed since then.

Edited by VanishedOne

I'm having so trouble making a hidden objective visible when the player reads a certain book in the map.

I'm using the wiki tutorial (http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Objectives_Editor ) and making the book target the setobjectivevisible entity doesn't seem to work, I even tried making a switch target it, but that didn't work either. The setobjectivevisible entity does work since making a trigger once brush target it made the objective visible, but that's not the way I intend the player to make the objective visible.

Also the book I want to do this with is a mobile one, so the player picks it up and reads it from the inventory (just in case that makes a difference).

If reading the book is an objective itself you can have it target the trigger once entity upon completion (Line "Completion target" in the objectives manager). The trigger then triggers the setobjectivevisible entity, which should turn the hidden objective visible. If I remember correctly, the "Completion Target" does not work for all entities (but it is admittedly some time since I last used it), so you have to use a trigger as an intermediate.

• Like 1

If reading the book is an objective itself you can have it target the trigger once entity upon completion (Line "Completion target" in the objectives manager). The trigger then triggers the setobjectivevisible entity, which should turn the hidden objective visible. If I remember correctly, the "Completion Target" does not work for all entities (but it is admittedly some time since I last used it), so you have to use a trigger as an intermediate.

I made reading the book a hidden objective and then made that objective trigger the setobjectivevisible entity with the completion target line and it works, I even made use of the read certain page of readable objective component to make the visibility change when the player reads the relevant information. A bit of a roundabout solution, but I'll take it. I can put my optional objectives in now, thanks!

• Like 1

I'm not certain of the details of how the ASE exporter handles origins, but I see it has a 'Center objects at 0,0,0 origin' option.

As for the other thing, I was remembering buggy behaviour someone experienced after replacing brushwork with a model from the asset folders by editing the entity's spawnargs. I just tested though and DR removed the brushes entirely, so maybe it's been fixed since then.

Unfortunately, I cannot learn anything from the link above. :(

In general: is my set-up correct or what else could I do to fix it?

I have the feeling that said Wiki page does not include all vital steps in the correct order and that something might be missing.

Alright, I did a brand new install in C:\ (my root drive) and no dice; I'm still getting the same errors (and also, Darkradiant crashes every time I try to create a new particle). I might try wiping everything and starting again, but I'm not sure what difference it will make. In the meantime, any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Unfortunately, I cannot learn anything from the link above. :(

In general: is my set-up correct or what else could I do to fix it?

I have the feeling that said Wiki page does not include all vital steps in the correct order and that something might be missing.

I just noticed that in the posts above you gave the classname as "atdm: moveable_base", and it should be "atdm:moveable_base" without any spaces.

Failing that, are you seeing any potentially relevant console errors/warnings?

Edit: also,

5. change property model from "func_staticxxxx" to "WIP/Models folder"

if you literally gave it the path to the folder rather than the file, that would go wrong.

Edited by VanishedOne

Hello VanishedOne,

I have doublechecked:

- the classname is correct

- the file structure is: WIP/Models/modelname.ase (same goes for the collision model)

Since I have added the path as per you suggestion, the map compiles, but the object behaves like I have described above.

I have also checked the console for this testmap, but it does not report any error during and after compiling. The report for the collision data reads:

-------------------------------

collision data:

1 models

40 vertices (0 KB)

85 edges (2 KB)

36 polygons (2 KB)

6 brushes (0 KB)

1 nodes (0 KB)

36 polygon refs (0 KB)

6 brush refs (0 KB)

84 internal edges

0 sharp edges