The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Texture roof_framework_boards_large_old_mildew seems to deflect wine arrow, so I've covered the roof with tdm_nodrawsolid_wood... And wine arrow shatters again. Any recommendations on how to turn a surface to rope arrow friendly one?

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

Are you talking about vine arrows (with a 'v', wine is something to drink ;) ) or about rope arrows? You used both terms in your question and they behave pretty differently.

Rope arrows stuck in wooden surfaces, but only if the surface is facing downwards or towards the side. If it is facing upwards, it won't work.

Vine arrows can be used on stone surfaces that are 'rough' enough. What surface fits into that category is choosen by the creator of the respective material file. The keyword is vine_friendly iirc.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

The info_location stuff is stock content, the script functions will only work with the scriptobject linked in the article.

Those who can read ... ;)

This is from several posts back... This script should be put into the base package IMO, since this is common enough for our gameplay there should be a native way to do it. Back in the day I was thinking to create a fuller system just for this kind of thing, but that never happened. So we should stick with what we have. I'll put the proposal in the bugtracker so it doesn't get lost anyway.

Edit: Ok, the bugtracker is down. Well when it's up then...

For future reference: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=AI_behaviour_depending_on_players_actions_(new_version)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Are you talking about vine arrows (with a 'v', wine is something to drink ;) ) or about rope arrows? You used both terms in your question and they behave pretty differently.

Rope arrows stuck in wooden surfaces, but only if the surface is facing downwards or towards the side. If it is facing upwards, it won't work.

Vine arrows can be used on stone surfaces that are 'rough' enough. What surface fits into that category is choosen by the creator of the respective material file. The keyword is vine_friendly iirc.

So wooden surfaces are not vine friendly? Are there any nodraw_solid surfaces designated to work in that way?

S2wtMNl.gif

So wooden surfaces are not vine friendly? Are there any nodraw_solid surfaces designated to work in that way?

I suppose it is a bit counterintuitive if not even bark is vine friendly. http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Vine_Arrows just says they work on 'many rough surfaces', so I'm unsure whether that was a design decision (to ensure rope and vine arrows would both be distinctly useful?) or whether nobody ever thought to set up rough wood materials for vine friendliness.

There are a couple of other restrictions: vine arrows don't attach to near-horizontal surfaces, and their script seems to limit them to worldspawn and func_static entities.

It should be easy enough to make a suitable nodraw_solid material by copying an existing one and adding "vine_friendly" at the start of the description.

Re. snow edges, try assigning them to a non-worldspawn entity and playing with alpha values by setting the entity's shaderParm3.

Edited by VanishedOne
  • Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

post-37993-0-56743900-1540491836_thumb.jpg

After the player grabs a critical objective item, the completion target from the objectives editor is set to a func remove entity. It shall remove both a light source and a looping speaker.

My problem is, that the entity always removes the light source, but never the speaker. I have already changed the priority (target 1/2), but the effect is the same.

Is func remove not suitable for speakers?

• Like 1

I think I've encounter situation where removing speaker didn't affect actual sound. Maybe it just mediate sound properties with internal sound player, but when sound is set it don't need the speaker any more. Turning on and off the speaker on the other hand will work.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

You can trigger the speaker by directly targeting it with the loot (i.e. give the loot entity the spawnarg "target0" "[speaker_name]"). This will turn it off, when the loot is picked up.

You are right; this works as well!

Very simple and effective!

Thank you very much.

Is this a general rule: If you pick up an item, then you can (depending on the item status) switch on/off another entity or does it in this case only work because the pickable item belongs into the "loot" category?

Edited by JackFarmer

I'm trying to repaint tdm_townsfolk_commoner model and have this little parts in red texture, yet don't know where to find this part of the model's name - maybe it is shared among all ai models and is defined in some _base that I can't find. Anyone know how to address them?

XoyIZPW.jpg

S2wtMNl.gif

It looks like a shadow-casting version of the tunic material used on the outside.

Best thing to do is look at the skin file and get a list of all the textures that are replaced when a skin is used. Trial and error should show which one it is.

• Like 1

You could set it up that way, though it's not as easy as it could be.

I don't think there are any unarmed attack animations for default humanoids. There are the zombie ones, but those aren't called by default on humanoid AI, so the AI will just stand nearby without any attack options. They will work on the townsfolk model, but you'll have to tell him to use them, which will require a new modelDef or possible a "replace_anim" spawnarg.

I changed the windows that were causing the problem to milky glass. Everything was going well until I tried putting location separators on the windows...system crash. You guys probably know about the glass problems, so I won't harp on. Am using lamp_glass_unlit_transparent instead.

Sorry I should have said "I tried putting location separators on the visportals where the windows are" and my system froze during dmap. I took the glass away and was able to dmap, so I know it has something to do with the glass textures. Funny thing is I have clear glass in other parts of my map with vispotals and separators and they have caused no problems, maybe I have reached some sort of limit?

When I get inexplicable problems I know are pinpointed to one area, I'd try deleting and rebuilding the area (the window part) from scratch very cleanly (on the grid, no weird angles, etc), and that sometimes fixes it by itself.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks demagogue, stumpy. On closer inspection I discovered I had made the window frames of patches that were slightly overlapping. I replaced them with brushes and put clear glass back in and alakazam the error has disappeared.