The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Thanks. The brushes do intersect - the horizontal and vertical rods are single pieces that run into each other. Because they are turned 90 degrees (diamond shaped) there isn't any z-fighting - I thought that was good enough. Rather than redo the whole thing I did the following, per your suggestion: turned the selected brushed into a func_static, used 'v' to move the origin, exported it as a model, loaded the model and changed it to a atdm:mover_door. Looks and works great now. Thanks again.

Looks like slightly misaligned or intersecting brushes, on a strange angle - I get it, most often in walls, when more than two or three brushes are slightly overlapping (sometimes less than one square, because they are not aligned to the grid but running at strange diagonals).

If it's the same when you use either 'q/w' to move the origin, and you've made sure every single brush isn't overlapping and it's not a result of the clipper - you could export the brushes as a model to use.

Idk if there are supposed to be notches cut in the hinge side, but when faces vanish like that - it's usually a sign that there's some intersection that needs correcting.

It's better to not have brushes go inside each other.

Might be another reason, but that's when I've seen this happen.

• Like 2

I tried a bit this evening, but apparently it was moe complicated than I remembered. Apparently, you cannot simply use the spawnarg "solid 0" to make the AI passable by the player. I remember that I made custom skins with custom nonsolid, transparent materials that seem to be necessary to make the AI non-solid. Without the AI will collide with the wall. Do you want me to recreate this? If so it will take some time.

I thought my AI at submarne at some point was passing through doors, but can't find that version. Could you make a fully nonsolid AI for me?

• Like 1

S2wtMNl.gif

Made a fully nodraw skin for AI (and it's head), changed it's aas to aas_rat, lifted doors 32 units above floor. AI still is blocked by obstacle. "big_monster""1" + "nosolid" don't work nighter. How a collision model is created for AI? Maybe different material than nodraw will do?

• Like 1

S2wtMNl.gif

turned the selected brushed into a func_static, used 'v' to move the origin, exported it as a model, loaded the model and changed it to a atdm:mover_door. Looks and works great

Just a quick note on the model - if you have some moving parts of the door, like the sliding bolt in and out of the plate, or the hinge knuckle around the pin (or handle) - these can be seperate parts to the model door, so they have other actions, then the whole lot can be saved as a prefab.

I've created a ventilator, then tilted it a little bit towards the ground.

post-37993-0-17493200-1551455244_thumb.jpg

The problem is: it does not rotate correctly anymore, it also moves along the other axis (just a little bit).

Is there a way to fix this?

Edited by JackFarmer

A quick test suggests http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Doors#Slanted_or_Tilted_Doors may be adaptable for func_rotating.

I did have a ghost I could walk through and shoot through at one point, and http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9082-newbie-darkradiant-questions/page-314?do=findComment&comment=414284 lists everything I tried. Unfortunately I seem not to have kept a record of the winning formula.

• Like 3

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

I've created a ventilator, then tilted it a little bit towards the ground.

attachicon.gifventilator.jpg

The problem is: it does not rotate correctly anymore, it also moves along the other axis (just a little bit).

Is there a way to fix this?

That's the bane of my existence with idtech 4 rotations and specially scaling...

Ok if I understand this stuff correctly, the axis widget shown in your image is the translation widget, not the rotation one (with the circles), for that you need to select the rotation tool, if you select it, you will see that it shows axis in a different way, it should show that you rotated your model down in the X axis (roll) red circle, this means the model Y (pitch) axis is now looking down and not forward like the translation widget implies.

If you select your model you will see two, axis representations (unless that is some toggleable option), one is the widget axis (with the arrows heads in the case of the translation tool), the other is the model origin axis, represented with lines (no arrow heads), this last one should show the true axis orientation of the model, so you need to take that into account when transforming the model again.

Edited by HMart

Is there anything I can do per AI class to override mines' detonate_on_actor behaviour, so ghosts can walk through/over them without setting them off?

I can shoot broadheads through my ghost but he still triggers mines, even though they both seem to be technically projectiles. (Actually I don't mind being able to attack him directly, Thief-style; it's the idea of a ghost setting off landmines' sensors that makes him seem a bit too corporeal.) I've tried monkeying about with big_monster, clipmodel_contents, cylinder, mins, maxs, solid, use_combat_bbox, and also offsetModel in combination with these in hope of getting him to float above the mines. His materials (of those that aren't nodraw) are set to nonsolid (and noimpact). I'm guessing maybe his origin (at ground level) is involved.

This may or may not be related to the problem Destined was having with splash damage:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17092-transparent-ai/page-3?do=findComment&comment=381645

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17555-splash-damage/

According to this wiki AI have a box defined by min/max in def file - but I couldn't find these values.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=An_AI_consists_of_6_Models

What partially resolved the problem was adding argument "size" "32 32 .1" and lifting doors. I will make a slightly shorter clipmodel for them, maybe someone will help me get better solution soon.

• Like 1

S2wtMNl.gif

Hmmm, sorry ERH, maybe I missed something, but did you end up checking Mother Rose? Your problems sound like what was implemented in that mission...

Anyway, anybody knows how to have a glowing material with both opaque and lit areas in the texture? Cant really remember of an example to look for...

Also, is this possible?

post-8474-0-38647500-1551634834_thumb.jpg

Edited by RPGista

Anyway, anybody knows how to have a glowing material with both opaque and lit areas in the texture? Cant really remember of an example to look for...

If you want a fully opaque material with regions that glow in the dark, just apply those regions in a blend add stage.

If you want an alphatested material with glowing bits in the 'holes', I think you can use ignoreAlphaTest in your blend add stage.

I think the explodingbarrel shows up (or used to in a version a few years back) as one of the leftover doom3 things?
I've tried using some of the doom3 scraps, but never had any joy.

---

Someone mentioned to me that mirrors were able to reflect mirrors in 2.07 - having put together a small area to test this out, it appears that only one reflection can be drawn at a time. A mirror in front of a mirror will appear black, and mirrors at other angles will give the noclip effect (using the standard mirror from textures. I think bathroom)

The new camera is a better than my AI and portal sky solution. Though it has the same result with a black area when the camera views the monitor - there's no infinite feedback as there would be. Guess it might be a lot of rendering. Also if putting a mirror in the camera's view. A regular mirror, not a cubemap reflection.

Am I missing something with materials with regards to 2 mirrors on the screen / mirroring mirrors / camera projecting the projection..? Idk if there's a way to limit the recursions to only a few rather than infinite, or if this is even possible in TDM?

Edited by teh_saccade

Am I missing something with materials with regards to 2 mirrors on the screen / mirroring mirrors / camera projecting the projection..? Idk if there's a way to limit the recursions to only a few rather than infinite, or if this is even possible in TDM?

I might have been too fast to advertise infinite subviews.

The current implementation allows up to two-mirrors chain. If you can't get even one mirror-in-mirron chain please post the test map

What partially resolved the problem was adding argument "size" "32 32 .1" and lifting doors. I will make a slightly shorter clipmodel for them, maybe someone will help me get better solution soon.

There are two ways of defning a model's size. Either it's done with "mins" and "maxs" or with "size". I am not sure which models uses which method, but I think that "size" is the more recent one and is used for the more current models, while the "mins/maxs" is used in older definitions.

Has anyone heard about use of idExplodingBarrel in TDM? There is still C++ code behind it and I would like to know if it is used at all.

Recreating Thief's exploding barrels has been on my list of things to try for a while; I just haven't got around to it. I can't remember offhand whether idExplodingBarrel appeared to be doing anything that e.g. a modified mine couldn't.

To my mind, since we're dealing with a toolkit for making missions, whether something has been used yet is less of a guide to its potential usefulness than whether there's another straightforward way to accomplish the same thing. id made various spawnclasses like idTarget_LightFadeIn for basic tasks a TDM mapper would probably accomplish with a script or S/R. But they also made interesting stuff that's presently dormant (idTarget_SetInfluence, for example).

Looking at how explosives are used in Thief (exiting the cathedral in T1; breaking open a bricked-up doorway in Rowena's Curse; an FM I forget the name of that invites you to blow a metal door open), I think it's interesting but my remarks here are applicable, which is why I haven't yet looked into it closely,

• Like 1

Recreating Thief's exploding barrels has been on my list of things to try for a while; I just haven't got around to it. I can't remember offhand whether idExplodingBarrel appeared to be doing anything that e.g. a modified mine couldn't.

I've done some experiments with trying to recreate them. I ran into a roadbump but I can't recall what it was now.

Hmmm, sorry ERH, maybe I missed something, but did you end up checking Mother Rose? Your problems sound like what was implemented in that mission...

Also, is this possible?

attachicon.gifDo_a67MXoAUv0sm.jpg

Right now the only way to do reflective materials is the expensive mirror system.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Also, is this possible?

attachicon.gifDo_a67MXoAUv0sm.jpg

Reflection is the achilles heel of rasterization. There's a reason realistic mirror like reflections is for the most part missing in games, for good reflections you need ray-tracing. That is why Nvidia made it the most prominent effect on their RTX tech demos.

But you can use the mirror system like AluminumHaste said (expensive and does it even work well in non flat surfaces? never tried it.), you can also use cube mapping but for that the objects, lighting, etc, needs to be static, this is to say, don't expect any dynamic object or effect, including the player, to show in the cubemap reflection. (unless you are willing to script a very complex cubemap swap system)

Perhaps in the future, someone will implement screen space reflections, if possible but afaik those are good only to fake blurry floor reflections, at least that is how i've seen it be used the most.

Edited by HMart

Thanks boys. Its just a concept idea I had, I tried using the mirror material on a sphere model, but it just flattens it into a mirror circle, theres no 3D effect at all. I havent tried cube mapping, though. I wanted the reflecting sphere to be a part of a cinematic sequence.

As for the lit shader, thanks vanished, was able to find one and make it work.

Ps: by the way, the picture I posted is from a cool game engine called Armory 3D, its being developed with blender in mind. The reflections are implemented in it, if you wanna take a look (not sure if its already available in a public release). ;)

Edited by RPGista

Is it possible to enable something like absence_noticeability on missing guards?

Guard A: Guards a door, walks to a path corner, waits there, returns to the door

Guard B: On patrol, passes the door in question.

Guard B shall change alert status when noticing that guard A is no longer around

Edited by JackFarmer

There is an absence marker you could spawn in the appropriate place under the appropriate trigger conditions that does this job for missing objects that you could try.

I'm pretty sure you can't do it as easily as putting a property in the AI's spawnargs, but you could still just spawn the marker by a script or whatever outright.

It would need some fore-thought and playtesting to see that it works logically, but it's one possible way to do this. (There might be other ways.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.