The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Can I use two models simultaneously on one AI? I'm thinking about semitransparent human model, plus skeleton model - as both of them are using same bones and animations they should move together nicely, IF I could stack them together (also binding additional models of internal organs).

S2wtMNl.gif

I had wondered about that too. If the werebeast ever gets working, I wanted to toy around with the idea of an AI who transforms. Have an invisible model that swaps under certain circumstances. Is that feasible?

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

If you just want to change the model and  both models use the same bones for animation (which is not the case for the werebeast, unfortunately), it may work, that you simply change the model via script / the S/R system. But I am not sure if there are problems with that, as AI may have more definitions that include the model.

For a transparent model, where the skeleton shines through, I am not sure if this is possible. I fear you would rather have to merge the two models in Blender.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, ERH+ said:

I remember from some fm lights that are dimming gradually (not in levels) when switched on and off. Is it a program in the material, or some function of light entity?

FadeInLight and FadeOutLight script events should do this:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=TDM_Script_Reference

That said, you could also use a parm value for rgb in the light material def and just have your script decrement the parm.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

19 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

you could also use a parm value for rgb in the light material def and just have your script decrement the parm.

And if I want pulsating light I would need something like (time * sintable) but my attempts failed - how it should look like?

S2wtMNl.gif

On 11/3/2019 at 1:56 AM, ERH+ said:

And if I want pulsating light I would need something like (time * sintable) but my attempts failed - how it should look like?

Similar to this:

https://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.html

rgb scTable[ time * .5 ] 

• Like 1

I did review that earlier, but the filter granularity as reported didn't seem to me to extend down to the spawnarg level, which is what I would need to filter for loot. DR custom Python scripting looked like it could do it, but then you'd have to work with an intricate DOM-like model... maybe an elephant gun to kill a flea. Just hoping someone had already killed that flea.

Loot should have its own entity class and according to the wiki it is possible to filter by them. I have no access to DR right now, so I cannot test this, though. I assume the filter as written in the section "More Complex Filters" would be exactly what you are looking for. All you need is the correct word for loot as an entity class. You could check in the def file, which entity type is defined there.

You are correct, except that there are actually around 100 loot entity classes. But on further consideration, given their naming convention, I can use regex. So the following is now working for me as a custom filter, to hide everything except loot:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<filters>
  <filter name="All But Loot">
    <filterCriterion type="entityclass" match=".*" action="hide"/>
    <filterCriterion type="entityclass" match="^atdm:loot_.*|^atdm:moveable_loot.*" action="show"/>
  </filter>
</filters>

The first criterion hides everything. The second criterion overrules the first one by showing “atdm:moveable_loot_...” and “atdm:loot_…” entities.

This solves my immediate needs. But noticing that there was in "DR/Filters/Edit Filters..." an undocumented (in the wiki page) filter type EntityKeyValue, I tried to use it to restrict visibility to Type 3 Loot (Goods), using this filter:

<filter name="All But Loot Goods">
    <filterCriterion type="entityclass" match=".*" action="hide"/>
    <filterCriterion key="inv_loot_type " type="entitykeyvalue" match="3" action="show"/>
  </filter>

This failed, that is, did not show anything. I see other forum posts in the past that claimed to use this filter type EntityKeyValue OK, so I don't know.

If I had permission to edit the wiki (perhaps some day), and assuming EntityKeyValue is working and the problem is just me, here’s what I would add as a bullet point to "What filter types do exist?":

• entitykeyvalue: With this type, you can specify an “entitykey” (i.e., spawnarg name) and “match” (spawnarg value).

Other possible wiki page improvements follow.

Following the mention of "filters.xml":

In more recent versions of Windows, direct editing of App Data content like filters.xml is protected. Instead, use DR’s “Filter/Edit Filters…”.

Following the mention of Regex, include a reference to the particular flavor/syntax being used. Perhaps

https://www.w3schools.com/python/python_regex.asp

• Like 1

BTW, in the "All But Loot" filter code above, the 2nd criterion match should have a trailing underscore, i.e.,

match="^atdm:loot_.*|^atdm:moveable_loot_.*"

as the comments indicate. But this doesn't affect the results in practice.

As to the failing "All But Loot Goods", removing the unwanted trailing space in the key value did not fix anything. Also tried a match of "^3". No luck.

Could it be that the problem is that the "3" value is represented by a float, not a string, and that matching can't handle that?

Super newb question here, I must be doing something wrong.

How do I prevent a monsterclip brush from disappearing after I deselect it?

I'm working on monsterclip stairs underneath some uneven terrain patches, and every time I do anything, such as try to make another brush, the first one goes away. Can't tell if it gets deleted or disappears or what, but I've consulted the wiki and nothing hints towards this.

Thanks in advance.

Ah sweet I was decorating in the meantime I’ll check my filters after this dmap.

Edit: Filters > Clip Textures, that did it. Duh. I had like 20 monster clips floating around down there lol. Thanks for the timely response Judith ?

Here goes my first test of an AI patrol on uneven ground patches. So exciting.

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe
  • Like 1

Also, if you press H you can hide something, Shift H unhides it. So sometmes it might be that. Very useful tool too.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

This might not be the place to ask this, but...

In http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Mission_Title_Screen_while_Loading

It is requested that the mission title screen be created in 1024x768 tga format, then stretched to 1024x1024 tga to "support older graphics cards"

This wiki page was created by Fidcal circa 2007. At the edge of 2020, is it still necessary to do this stretching for support old graphics cards?

(And in my mind, there's the larger question about whether, for new FMs, something nicer than the ratty-looking 1024x768 tga format could be handled.)

6 hours ago, Geep said:

This might not be the place to ask this, but...

In http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Mission_Title_Screen_while_Loading

It is requested that the mission title screen be created in 1024x768 tga format, then stretched to 1024x1024 tga to "support older graphics cards"

This wiki page was created by Fidcal circa 2007. At the edge of 2020, is it still necessary to do this stretching for support old graphics cards?

(And in my mind, there's the larger question about whether, for new FMs, something nicer than the ratty-looking 1024x768 tga format could be handled.)

You can use a larger image. Keep in mind that image_downsize doesn't work on these images anymore (or any other GUI images) so

you'll need to consider that a fixed cost in your overall texture RAM budget.

Also, it has become the norm to create splash screens in 16:9 ratio then squeeze the width so that you have 4:3 ratio.

On wide-screen displays, this will stretch back to 16:9 and look normal whereas it will look a little pinched on old 4:3 displays.

See Crucible of Omen: Behind Closed Doors for one of the best examples of this.

Thanks. I'll play around with this.  If I use a larger loader image, but still want to use the guis/map/<fm>.gui text overlay, should I leave all the windowDef rect settings contained therein at "0,0,640,480"? Or give up on the overlay and just burn text in with (for me) Photoshop?

In your "Also" comment, you mention "splash screens". Are we still talking about the loader image, or instead the traditionally 256x256 install_splash.tga?

Looked at CoO: Behind Closed Doors. For the loader screen background, 2048x2048 jpg was used; presumably 16:9 horizontally compressed to 1:1 (not 4:3). The title and associated text was burnt in there, but there was still text specified in the .gui file, namely that associated with  the Mission Loading bar. The specs still used "0,0,640,480" throughout. I was surprised that .gui file continued to reference a ".tga" file as background, even tho it was now a .jpg (but otherwise the same path and filename) .... whatever works.

My screenshots were at 1960x1080, so I chose one at full height and compressed the width to 1080 (i.e., 1:1) as well. Looked much better than before, tho still banding (some from the original screen image) and color shifts in gradients. I can live with that. For lazyness, I overlaid the title and associated text  using the .gui method, rather than burn-in. If run on a machine with 4:3 ratio, the strings will not be in optimal locations, but on the other hand, the font characters will be normal size, not squeezed.

All good

• Like 1

I was just reviewing warnings in my build to find ones I could fix.

The following are instead due to duplicate definitions in the stock 2.07 distribution and might be fixable in a future distro:

[In tdm_textures_base01/:]
WARNING:file materials/tdm_epi_shader_2.mtr, line 462: material 'wizard_cloth_001' previously defined at materials/tdm_epi_shader_2.mtr:366
WARNING:file materials/tdm_water.mtr, line 1189: material 'textures/particles/ripple_1' previously defined at materials/tdm_particles_ripple.mtr:1
[In tdm_models_decls01/:]
WARNING:file skins/tdm_epi_skins.skin, line 86: skin 'steam_engine_003_off' previously defined at skins/steam_engine_003.skin:1
WARNING:file skins/tdm_epi_skins.skin, line 97: skin 'steam_engine_003_on' previously defined at skins/steam_engine_003.skin:18

Forgive me if these have already been reported and/or fixed. Where exactly is the TDM bugtracker, anyway?