The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

12 hours ago, Dragofer said:

Anyone got experience with the path_talk entity? I'd like to use this instead of a conversation to get an AI to say a line, but neither the entity description nor the inherited properties suggest how to use the entity.

The path node wiki says this isn't implemented.

If you put one in your AI's path, you'll see this warning appear on the console when he reaches it:

Unknown path node classname 'path_talk'

Folks have created a simple conversation to cover this situation.

You can also use a trigger to start up a speaker saying the desired line, but one downside is that the AI's lips won't move, as they do in a conversation. If the player won't notice, go this route.

@grayman thanks for clearing up the status of path_talk.

I'm already using a 1-line conversation to get an AI to say something to the player a few seconds after map start. The problem is that the AI should sit at map start, so what happens is:

1. Map loads. AI sits down (screen slowly fades in from black to conceal the animation)
  2. AI says a line
  3. When he's done talking, AI stands back up, then sits down again.

I'm assuming it's because the conversation starts while the AI is still finding the most comfortable position on his chair, so I'll probably have to delay the conversation even more. A path_talk would've been a nice solution for a snappier start.

@grayman alright, I isolated the cause of the bug that a sitting AI briefly stands up and sits back down after a conversation finishes: it only occurs if the path_sit node is his final path node. Adding a path_waitfortrigger after the path_sit fixed it. Will look into a bug report.

@Geep yes, just like that.

"Advanced Bobbing using Func_Mover" thread is set up. Could some admin please move the following posts in this thread to it:

- Everything from Jack Farmer's original post of March 26 thru my last post of March 31

- Selective posts in April 1-8. Skip posts exclusively about silhouettes or path_talk nodes. (Those that touch on these topics + bobbing... duplicate?)

Thanks

• Like 1

Adding Textures. 

Looking at the Wiki. It says don't go over 1024 x 1024 for your textures. Is this still the case? I have some lovely 4k textures,
especially one very long wall that once dropped to 1k is 1024 x 128 which makes it useless. However at 4096 x 1024 it's beautifully
detailed.

[Why is it on this forum now, if I want to get a new line, I get double new line, and have to hit shift enter to get single new line? Who
thought this would be a good idea and more efficient???? Can we please go back to the old way? Sometimes programming fads 
are really thick!]

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

1 hour ago, NeonsStyle said:

Adding Textures. 

Looking at the Wiki. It says don't go over 1024 x 1024 for your textures. Is this still the case? I have some lovely 4k textures,
especially one very long wall that once dropped to 1k is 1024 x 128 which makes it useless. However at 4096 x 1024 it's beautifully
detailed.

[Why is it on this forum now, if I want to get a new line, I get double new line, and have to hit shift enter to get single new line? Who
thought this would be a good idea and more efficient???? Can we please go back to the old way? Sometimes programming fads 
are really thick!]

The guidance is for standard tiling textures. A single large texture with a unique pattern shouldn't cause too much harm, especially if it is

used sparingly. The other consideration is whether this "beautiful" texture matches the pixel density of other textures at natural scale.

You may be admiring your great new texture but players will be looking at TDM textures next to it and thinking "why is everything except the wall

so blurry"? To which the answer will not be "OK, we are going to increase all the texture resolutions and make the game unplayable except for

high-end hardware from 2016+". Doom 3 \ TDM is more texture heavy than many other engines since it relies on normal maps for most detail

so you have to budget textures differently than an engine where half of the detail is baked into the diffuse because of baked lighting. The limit

is there to act as a sane guideline.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

2 hours ago, NeonsStyle said:

are really thick!]

You don't really get two new lines, it is a simple formatting issue in which the next paragraph is set apart by a set number of pixels (just like you can increse the distance to the next paragraph in Word). Shift+Enter does not create a new paragraph, but rather only jumps to the next line, which is why you don't get the separation. It is meant to be clearer than the regular line break. I have not found any setting, where you could change this, so I assume that this is a default setting in the forum.

3 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

The guidance is for standard tiling textures. A single large texture with a unique pattern shouldn't cause too much harm, especially if it is

used sparingly. The other consideration is whether this "beautiful" texture matches the pixel density of other textures at natural scale.

You may be admiring your great new texture but players will be looking at TDM textures next to it and thinking "why is everything except the wall

so blurry"? To which the answer will not be "OK, we are going to increase all the texture resolutions and make the game unplayable except for

high-end hardware from 2016+". Doom 3 \ TDM is more texture heavy than many other engines since it relies on normal maps for most detail

so you have to budget textures differently than an engine where half of the detail is baked into the diffuse because of baked lighting. The limit

is there to act as a sane guideline.

Agree that a stark difference in quality of near textures is immersion breaking and generally brow-raising as it's a sign of something home-made

On the other hand it's not a mapper's fault that an average TDM texture is low-res. If the scene is dark and local light spots are limited to high-res textures then it has a right to live.

We need to think more about upgrading core asset textures and presume mappers are sane enough to balance texture quality on their own. I suppose the texture in question is just being stretched too big and becomes even blurrier than core textures :).

If you're wondering about technical limitations

• 1024 px: hardware so old it's not worth talking about. Definitely won't be able run TDM 2.07
  • 2048 px: some DX9-compatible hardware (practically old IGP's by Intel and ATI). 2.07 still supported those. It's up to you to decide if you're willing to support those. I doubt  it makes sense to do due to terribly low FPS you're bound to get there.
  • 4096 px: you'd think this is the current standard? Nope. Only DX9 hardware has this limit, and mostly IGP's of those. Of course, there's the issue of total VRAM and how much size your textures take up combined, but again: a single texture can be even bigger than this, especially if compressed. 2.08 will not support the DX9 class of hardware, so if you target 2.08, you don't need to worry about it.
  • 8192 px: it's seemingly the hardware limit for a lot of DX10 hardware. I think it makes sense to stop here

In any case, users can always override your texture quality with a load-time downscaling via image_XXX cvars.

All good points but I guess I didn't add one of the main reasons for the limit. The original design goal for TDM was to have the same visual fidelity as Thief Deadly Shadows but have missions as large as the largest Thief 2 fan mission (or larger). Increasing texture quality will leave less VRAM for geometry and forces missions to remain small or less dense. All subjective of course. To set a more firm standard we could take the largest TDM map and double it then increase texture fidelity until whatever class of hardware we define as minimum (2012 era?) cannot run it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have thousands of textures now.  Upgrading them all would be a project that would take years for a small group of dedicated artists.  Since most of our textures exist only in .dds format, they would have to be remade, not just resized.  And any time you remake a texture, you run the risk of it not working as intended in missions where it has already been used.

And beyond that, you ultimately run into the comparison trap.  If you increase the quality of one thing, it makes the weaknesses of other things stand out more.  The rigging of our character models (done by me, as far from a competent animator as you can get) is already our weakest link (followed closely by some animations themselves), and the better everything else looks, the more that is going to stand out.

• Like 1

Sup Taffers. Need some help.

Getting a crash during dmap, last few lines of log say ‘Couldn't exec autocommands.cfg - file does not exist.’

attaching the log. Pretty sure all I did between dmaps was adjust a couple VPs. Might just go back a version and do em one at a time, but I’d like some education deciphering the log. What am I looking at?

mylog.txt

Edit: There was also a few warnings about briefing, but a workaround to skip the files ended with same results. Same with reverting to earlier safe build.

And then I remembered I am running 2.08 beta (but not the very latest version). Any coders want/need additional info let me know please.
I tried to update to the latest version but will have to do it after my wife’s iPad is done updating and syncing and whoring all my bandwidth.

So I guess I’m dealing with a corrupt install (I’ll get on a fresh one after I blast some some mutants in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.), something specific to my FM (kingsal promised a look if the above doesn’t work) or something related to 2.08 throwing new errors ( I hope not but how do I tell?)

Thanks you all

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe
Sort of update?

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Please make sure you are on the latest 2.08 build rev 8660

You will need to use the latest tdm_mirrors.txt and use the keep mirrors option in tdm_updater

Are you running a 32-bit OS? Why are you using the 32-bit executable?

Please update your AMD graphics drivers, there is no way that an AMD HD 6900 doesn't offer "GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test".

12 hours ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

Getting a crash during dmap, last few lines of log say ‘Couldn't exec autocommands.cfg - file does not exist.’
I’d like some education deciphering the log. What am I looking at?

I don' think log contains anything about the crash.

The only proper way to know what is crashing is to record a crashdump and share it to one of the coders.

Latest drivers installed of course. I got it dmapping fine in 2.07 again. I was running 2.08(v1 or 2) in 64x mode but had an issue updating it again to the latest version.

I’ll work on that crashdump in the meantime...

Edit: Updated to latest beta and still same results.

Not sure if it will be usable, I never got a dialogue box that the Wiki states not to close, but I followed the rest of the steps. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AZ01aeKiFwZjAzrlcTIyOZCeYFeFumnE  <-condump

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

I have problem with modifying gui file on a inventory map during game, changing one of its subparts "visible" from 0 to 1.

In Obsttorte automap there is "gui::gui_garden" line instead of 0/1 in the gui file, but it is controlled by the objectscript on the map entity - can I (and how) change it by external trigger? .setKey isn't working, I guess once the map entity goes into player inventory it is destroyed and replaced. Or maybe I'm using wrong formula for stating a gui variable.

S2wtMNl.gif

Thanks for the info. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I just did a rewrite of the wiki article on Caulk

Please take a look. In particular, I added a section on Caulk Sky (which was new to me), with a small placeholder paragraph about Atmospheric Fog. Does anyone know if there's still a difference these days (given the Portal Sky changes in 2.06) between how fog (and its boundaries) works with portal sky versus caulk sky? If so, please revise it yourself or enlighten me. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Anyone got some experience with modifying the strength of gravity in part of a map? The TDM Script Reference only has enableGravity() and disableGravity().

I was thinking of adapting the slow-fall potion script, but it seems to use SDK-level coding (which I can't access in scripts) and it wouldn't affect moveables.

I heard that some Doom 3 branches have a so-called Volume_gravity entity that modifies gravity within its volume by a vector (so it could even change the direction of gravity), but we don't seem to have any entities with "gravity" in their names in TDM.

1 - The corridor is ok from this angle (I cannot put VPs here because the gratings in the middle are transparent and the tunnel below can be entered):

1.thumb.jpg.d6b09cd83ef59727d06cfca20b1d321d.jpg

2 - shortly before the player reaches the crates, there is one spot where DCs skyrocket:

2.thumb.jpg.640704df33c9587c6f7e8e8f4ec6aebb.jpg

3 - one step ahead, everything returns to normal:

3.thumb.jpg.7cfe3a7c84c28ebf40b123b4e9af83ff.jpg

What's causing this? The entire corridor is perfectly sealed.

@AluminumHaste

I have identified a second spot with the same problem,  you can see that problem at the beginning of the video. The second part of the video shows the problem explained above. r_showtris 1 is enabled:

https://streamable.com/qqn788

EDIT: Update: link updated

Edited by JackFarmer