The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Hmm. There is a material "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth/marble_white01_glow" in the "gatehouse decorative" material

that was added to TDM. I guess that the "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01_ed" might be picked-up by the media

surface inspector.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Here is the infamous glowing bookshelf.  This is the `models/darkmod/furniture/shelves/bookshelf_wide01_alt` model with the `mansion_dark_redwood` skin.

Problematic texture seems to be `textures/darkmod/wood/boards/dark_redwood`. Applying this texture to a brush also reproduces the same glowing effect.  Shame, really, just based on the renderings in Dark Radiant this wood looks really nice.

crusher1_2020-05-26_23_30_19.thumb.jpg.6cd791da9be970389f814c185281889c.jpg

crusher1_2020-05-26_23.38.21.jpg

Btw textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01 is not to be found in the media browser,

Hold on.  "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01" is the actual name of the diffuse texture file.  The material shader name is "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth/marble_white01"

The skin should be pointing to the material shader, not the file.  That's the problem there.

Problematic texture seems to be `textures/darkmod/wood/boards/dark_redwood`

Again, I see nothing wrong with the material shader.  And the skin seems to be correct too.  I just tried it in game and it worked fine.  Why are the books black in yours?

There must be something missing, because it works fine for me.  You say you don't see dark_redwood in the media list?

redwood.jpg

1 hour ago, Springheel said:

Hold on.  "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01" is the actual name of the diffuse texture file.  The material shader name is "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth/marble_white01"

Small tangent here, but using suffixes for diffuse textures would probably make things easier to grasp, especially for new mappers. I use simple _d, _n, _s, _em (emissive mask) notation in all my materials, never had any problems with it.

Edited by peter_spy
  • Like 1

@peter_spy @Springheel

Ok, so this is a original skin for the cup:

skin cup_marble_shiny
{
model models/darkmod/decorative/vases/cup_marble.ase
model models/darkmod/decorative/vases/cup_stone_large.ase
model models/darkmod/decorative/vases/cup_stone_small.ase

textures/darkmod/stone/natural/dark_dirty	  textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01
textures/darkmod/stone/flat/rough_marble_light01  textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01
}

textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01 here should point to the material/shader right? But there is no smooth_marble_white01 in the media browser, however there is a image file in that location in tdm_textures_stone_flat01.pk4 named "smooth_marble_white01_ed.jpg" (but not smooth_marble_white01.* (dunno what extention that should be)).

textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth/marble_white01 does exist in the media browser and this is it's shader definition:

Spoiler

textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth/marble_white01
{

surftype15
    description "tile"

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01_ed
    diffusemap      textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01
    bumpmap         textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_grey01_local

{
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
        map         _white
        rgb         0.40 * parm11
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01
        rgb         0.15 * parm11
    }

// TDM Ambient Method Related
    {                            
        if (global5 == 1)        
        blend add                
        map                textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01        
        scale            1, 1        
        red                global2    
        green            global3    
        blue            global4    
    }                            
    {                            
        if (global5 == 2)        
        blend add                
        program    ambientEnvironment.vfp    
        vertexParm        0        1, 1, 1, 1        // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump    
        vertexParm        1        1, 1, 1, 1    // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular        
        vertexParm        2        global2, global3, global4, 1    

fragmentMap        0        cubeMap env/gen1                
        fragmentMap        1        textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_grey01_local            // Bump                
        fragmentMap        2        textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01            // Diffuse            
        fragmentMap        3        _black            // Specular            
    }

}

Where the diffusemap is textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01

So I think this diffusemap is missing in tdm_textures_stone_flat01.pk4 AND the skin is pointing to a none existing material/shader ... is this right or am I missing something?

In case of the glowing bookcase it seems krrg and I are just missing a material/shader, or do you perhaps do have this "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01" in the media browser and are we just missing an other material/shader and therefore have this glowing cup?

Trying to understand how this all works : )

Edited by STRUNK

25 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

@peter_spy @Springheel

So I think this diffusemap is missing in tdm_textures_stone_flat01.pk4 AND the skin is pointing to a none existing material/shader ... is this right or am I missing something?

No, the texture file is there.  The problem is that skin files should reference material entries, not texture files.  To correct it, replace "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01" in the skin with "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth/marble_white01".  That should fix it.

25 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

In case of the glowing bookcase it seems krrg and I are just missing a material/shader, or do you perhaps do have this "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01" in the media browser and are we just missing an other material/shader and therefore have this glowing cup?

Trying to understand how this all works : )

The redwood issue seems to be a problem with something missing.  I'm pretty sure the redwood texture was uploaded for 2.07, as it is used in all the interior mansion models.  I'll have to look into it.  Perhaps someone else can confirm whether they see it or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STRUNK said:

@All

Are there other people missing "dark_redwood" in textures/darkmod/wood/boards?

Yeah, I'm missing it as well. Can't find it anywhere

31 minutes ago, krrg said:

What is the fastest way to determine that?

Open the console and scroll to the top and see if you are on revision 8079.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hmm, for some reason, while the texture files is present, the material entry seems to be missing from 2.08.  Maybe it was just never uploaded?  Not sure, but I've added it now.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Springheel said:

Hmm, for some reason, while the texture files is present, the material entry seems to be missing from 2.08.  Maybe it was just never uploaded?  Not sure, but I've added it now.

Thanks! You're talking about the `dark_redwood` material, correct @Springheel?

If so, there is still the matter of the smooth marble that started this whole discussion.

9 hours ago, Springheel said:

The problem is that skin files should reference material entries, not texture files.  To correct it, replace "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth_marble_white01" in the skin with "textures/darkmod/stone/flat/smooth/marble_white01".  That should fix it.

Can this skin also get fixed for 2.08? I'd be happy to submit the change myself, but I think the asset definitions are part of a private repository.

Quick question, is there a way to add a custom item into the player's inventory? I see a target_itemremove in the entity list but no "itemadd". I want to have the game add a specific item to the player's inventory when an objective is completed. I have made the custom item, which doesn't need to be dropable. There are also four fragments of this item that need to be removed from the inventory at the same time, though I assume the itemremove would do that for me?

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

1 hour ago, Bienie said:

Quick question, is there a way to add a custom item into the player's inventory? I see a target_itemremove in the entity list but no "itemadd". I want to have the game add a specific item to the player's inventory when an objective is completed. I have made the custom item, which doesn't need to be dropable. There are also four fragments of this item that need to be removed from the inventory at the same time, though I assume the itemremove would do that for me?

In that case you can specify a completion script for the objective in the objective editor, i.e. bienie_add_item. The script could look like below:

void bienie_add_item()
{
	$player1.replaceInvItem($bienie_custom_item_part1, $null_entity);
	$player1.replaceInvItem($bienie_custom_item_part2, $null_entity);
	$player1.replaceInvItem($bienie_custom_item_part3, $null_entity);
	$player1.replaceInvItem($bienie_custom_item_part4, $null_entity);
	$player1.addInvItem($bienie_custom_item_complete);
}

bienie_custom_item_complete would need to exist somewhere in your map, i.e. your blue room.