The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I believe something like that has been done, but only for a static one. We have the option to project a camera view on a surface. If you use a teleporter on the moment the player gets close to that surface, you could simulate a portal. Having the ability to create portals like in "Portal" is a lot more difficult and will most likely require some serious coding.

EDIT: Here is the wiki page on how to set up the surface: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Security_Camera
Section "The Display Screen"

Edited by Destined

One problem is that you would have two additional views, one for each portal, and as far as I remember the engine doesn't like that or isn't really setup for that. You could probably bypass this issue by using sort of a distorting effect at distance and only really render a view through the portal on closeup or by extending the specific pieces in the source code. The other issue is that you will not be able to get the connectiveness the portals in portal had. You can teleport the player or anything moveable once it touches the surface/gets close enough, but you cannot lean through it or say place an ai in it so that the legs are on your side of the portal while the upper body looks out on the other portal. I fairly doubt that this can be easely coded, as their is nothing comparable in the engine this could be build upon.

So all in all it is possible to mimic a similar behaviour, but nothing nearly as good and versatile as in portal. And as grayman noticed, the setup would require some work.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

4 hours ago, Obsttorte said:

I fairly doubt that this can be easely coded, as their is nothing comparable in the engine this could be build upon.

There is this

From this thread in 2014. Looks like the creator doesn't respond to messages though, at least back in 2014.

14 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

That's quake 4 though.

I've checked beforehand, quake 4 seems to use idtech4 so it should be comparable?

@Dragofer

If a camera was in an other room, and it stays in relatively the same position as the players head (getOrigin() and add distance in one direction to be in the other room). And you can make it "look" the same direction as the player (getViewAngles( )), you could have that video feed showing on a screen in the room where the player is, so he can see it.

Edited by STRUNK

5 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

@Dragofer

If a camera was in an other room, and it stays in relatively the same position as the players head (getOrigin() and add distance in one direction to be in the other room). And you can make it "look" the same direction as the player (getRotation()?), you could have that video feed showing on a screen in the room where the player is, so he can see it.

Is it possible to "get" the looking angle of the player?

Obsttorte wrote a script based on the player's view angles (statues that only move when the player's not looking at them):

object statue_look
{
	void init();
	void loopLook();
	vector viewDir;
	vector direction;
	float cosine;
	float tolerance;
};
void statue_look::init()
{
	thread loopLook();
}
void statue_look::loopLook()
{
	while(1)
	{
		if (distanceTo($player1)<1024)
		{
			viewDir=sys.angToForward($player1.getViewAngles());
			direction=getOrigin()-$player1.getOrigin();
			cosine=viewDir*direction/sys.vecLength(direction);
			direction_z=0;
			if (cosine<sys.cos($player1.getFov()/2+30))
			{
				setAngles(sys.VecToAngles(-direction)+'0 90 0');
			}
		}
		sys.waitFrame();
	}

}

I'm trying to recreate some sort of portal like in @Dragofer's post above and have a camera a target_null and a screen. I have the target_null moving relative (in an other room) to the players EyePos(ition) .. but it doesn't change the view. (have a visable cube bound to it to check if it it's indeed moving, and it is). When I place the target_null in a different place in DR, the view angle of the camera is different, so it seems to me it only checks whet the target_null is at gamestart, but doesn't update after that.

Is there a spawnarg that should be applied to have it update all the time, or do I have to take a different approach and ajust the camera view angle (rotation) with a script?

EDIT: Have the camera now looking around, but ofc. this doesn't work, for when you pan a camera, the straight horizontal lines get skewed on the screen : )

Edited by STRUNK
  • Like 1

Playing with some mapping again and I have a basic question: When you group a set of entities, is it possible to enter that group and select / manipulate individual entries? I hate how whenever I need to change the position or a property on an entry in a group, I have to ungroup everything first then select it all again to group back.

The camera approach to the "portal" doesn't seem to work in any way I can imagine. Even tried adding a mirror to point the camera at. Now I had an other idea: having a brush with portal_sky texture, you can see through a wall with that, to move over a wall relative to the players position but the problem is .. you can only see through the wall when it's still worldspawn, so it can't be moved by script ..

Does anyone know of an other glich that works when it's a func_mover ... or any other glich that might worth looking into?

Thanks! So I have several questions about some less usual things I'm planning to do with a FM I'm working on... to avoid asking too much at once I'll post each one as it comes, this is the first effect I'm looking to toy with.

How do you make a group of AI's die when an objective is completed? Is there a trigger to set an NPC's health to zero? I'm interested to make sure that each affected character drops dead and becomes a ragdoll where they stand. Ideally crying out the death sound in case the player is within hearing range... don't care about blood particles. I'm hoping this can be achieved without pinning the death on the player too, so it doesn't appear as damage dealt in the stats at the end of the game while also not failing "don't kill anyone" objectives which are meant to fail only if the player attacks that AI normally.

For example: Let's say I have 4 guards guarding an entrance, and the goal is to steal a chalice from inside. Once the player has stolen the chalice and completed the main objective, I want the 4 guards to fall dead where they last stood, as a group of thieves spawn in the area (thematically they killed the guards).

Edited by MirceaKitsune

I'm trying to get stopAnim( float channel, float frames ) to work, but I don't even have a clue about what the channel should be : D And when putting -1 as frames, is it never going to stop (endles number of frames)? The ragdoll is working, but they keep flopping around a bit : P

Other thing is, my approach would be scripting the event with becomeRagdoll and having the AI lay still. Simultaniously a death screem is triggered from speakers bound to the targeted guards. But I haven't got experience with AI in a map yet.

How would you approach this?

Edited by STRUNK

43 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

@MirceaKitsune

I found this script event: BecomeRagdoll https://modwiki.dhewm3.org/BecomeRagdoll_(script_event)

If you are familliar with writing scripts you can try if that does what you want, otherwise I can try making a simple script for it.

I was hoping there's a trigger built into TDM for this, where I could target an NPC and make them fall dead. Didn't other FM's already do this? I recently replayed Exhumed... think one of the guards is killed by an objective there.

10 minutes ago, grayman said:

$NPC_Name.kill();

Thanks! But how do you put that in a trigger? Is there a scripted trigger in DR that can be added to the map, to which I can then add that line?

3 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

@grayman

That would be it : D But how to have a finished objective trigger that? (I never did anything with objectives)

That too: How do you actually make completing an objective trigger something? I'm familiar with with say pressing a button to toggle a light, but how can completing an objective do it? I worked with objectives in the past but don't remember if I had to use triggers upon completing them before.

You can trigger damage brushes, as an alternative...that would work if you know where the AI is going to be when they die.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

@grayman

That would be it : D But how to have a finished objective trigger that? (I never did anything with objectives)

In your objective, fill in this field:

Completion Script: Kill_Bob

In your missionName.script file, insert "Kill_Bob()" just above the main() routine, like this:

void Kill_Bob()

{

$Bob.kill();

}

void main()

{

}