The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

@MirceaKitsune, if you get that "AI turns head" effect working, let us know... I could make use of it too.

A different question, all. I have a series of Readables, and I'm able to manage them by knowing (in script) when they're frobbed. But there's one I'd really like know when it's "read". This ideally would when it is closed after being open, or, less ideally, simply when it is opened. Is there some way to do this either by state determination or by triggering?

Looking at the Conversations wiki page there are a few things left unclear that I need a little help with:

1. How do you define the player as an actor, to make the AI look toward you in a conversation and hear your voice from your own location when talking? I tried tags like "Player" / "player" in the actor field but it doesn't validate.
  2. Can I make the player gain an item the AI is holding or wearing after the conversation is over, as if the player frobbed it to pick it up? In my case, a key on the AI's belt which is given to you after talking with them. That is if the player didn't pickpocket it off them during the conversation, in which case nothing will happen obviously.
  3. To make the AI start patrolling after talking, the wiki encourages using an atdm:target_changetarget. This works I guess but I was curious about something: I tried using a path_wait entity as well, targeted by the AI and which targets the first path_corner. If I have the conversation trigger (using ActivateTarget) either the AI or this path_wait entity, nothing happens. I used path_wait before and it works when triggered by stuff like buttons, why not here?
Edited by MirceaKitsune

1) you can only set AIs as actors in a conversation. I've tried getting an AI to look at the player too, IIRC by letting the conversation run a script that makes the AI look at the player or by letting the conversation make an AI use a path_lookat node. However, the (sitting) AI did a very bad job at looking in the player's direction, so I dropped it.

2) simply let the conversation call a script which runs addInvItem on the key.

3) the way I've done it was to put AIs on a path_waitfortrigger, then trigger the AI at the end of the conversation.

50 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

1) you can only set AIs as actors in a conversation. I've tried getting an AI to look at the player too, IIRC by letting the conversation run a script that makes the AI look at the player or by letting the conversation make an AI use a path_lookat node. However, the (sitting) AI did a very bad job at looking in the player's direction, so I dropped it.

2) simply let the conversation call a script which runs addInvItem on the key.

3) the way I've done it was to put AIs on a path_waitfortrigger, then trigger the AI at the end of the conversation.

Thanks. Ouch... 1) is a big limitation: So an AI can't normally talk with the player at all? Even if the AI can't look at the player, is it not possible to have the player work as an actor and say a line in conversations? I could have sworn I've seen player to AI conversations in a few FM's (looking included) but they probably used a complex workaround then.

2) requires a script? I like keeping that only for more complex stuff, but if that's the case I can live with it.

3) is what I did too. For some reason however it didn't work in my test, no idea why. Perhaps I shouldn't have the actor trigger himself at the end of the conversation?

1) There are player to AI conv in NHAT and IIRC Accountant 1 (following the fence through the sewers), but I have no recollection of them properly looking at the player. In any case, those conversations I've looked at were always workarounds.

2) Maybe you can instead let an actor trigger the key, and give the key a trigger response that frobs itself. Anyway, the script is just a single line. Would be a good idea to set inv_droppable 0 on the key to prevent the situation where the key returns to the player after he dropped it in a sewer.

3) Hm, thats strange, maybe theres more detail to it. Theres a working conversation setup on the top floor of the mansion in Down by the Riverside.

The function expects the entity as argument. Entities are referenced via $ in combination with their name. So if the entity is called atdm_key_simple_iron_dark_1 the reference is $atdm_key_simple_iron_dark_1 (so the name with a $ in front). Don't use "", those are for strings.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I think you also need to put $player1 in front, so that it knows to add the key to the player's inventory.

$player1.addInvItem($atdm_key_simple_iron_dark_1);

Hello. I just downloaded DarkRadiant and The Dark Mod game, and have begun working on a map. I already have some (limited) experience working on Enemy Territory and Urban Terror maps with GtkRadiant some 10 years ago... just getting back into the swing of level design, now with DR. Could someone please tell me where (which pk4 files) the shaders are?... or is there a guide to the shaders, values and the common textures posted somewhere?... I don't want to pester folks here with every question I'm bound to have (like the differences between the various "no draw" and "clip" textures/shaders, etcetera), so I'll study on my own as best I can. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Betaversion said:

Hello. I just downloaded DarkRadiant and The Dark Mod game, and have begun working on a map. I already have some (limited) experience working on Enemy Territory and Urban Terror maps with GtkRadiant some 10 years ago... just getting back into the swing of level design, now with DR. Could someone please tell me where (which pk4 files) the shaders are?... or is there a guide to the shaders, values and the common textures posted somewhere?... I don't want to pester folks here with every question I'm bound to have (like the differences between the various "no draw" and "clip" textures/shaders, etcetera), so I'll study on my own as best I can. Thanks.

From my personal experience, you need to explore them and learn where each asset is located, which is knowledge obtained after a bit of mapping and playing with DR. Select a brush, press S to open the surface inspector, then look at the subdirectories under "darkmod". I'd do the same with models, prefabs, entities and sounds... learn which are commonly available and what folders you generally find them under. The wiki may have a page on this too but I'm not aware of any.

5 hours ago, Betaversion said:

Could someone please tell me where (which pk4 files) the shaders are?... or is there a guide to the shaders, values and the common textures posted somewhere?

Strangely enough, the directory structure for materials is under 'Media' tab (not that it displays any other media, like sound shaders or sth). The materials you currently use in the map are displayed in 'Textures' tab. If you right-click a material name, you can choose Show Shader Definition from the RMB menu.

As for the materials reference: https://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.html

Is there any reason that water brushes that make up a body of water mysteriously break in between saves and essentially allow you to clip right through rather than swimming? You can see the texture, but sink right to the bottom.

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

So here's a fun little two-part question. I'll refrain from spoiling exactly what I'm doing, but I'm interested in having a video with sound on a surface in my FM. I know video on surface is supported by the idTech 4 engine though haven't seen any existing FM use it yet. So far I read a Wiki page on the matter though it seems to be pretty ancient but clarified a few things... such as the fact that I need to convert the video to the roq format, which I understand ffmpeg can do so I'll hopefully have no issues there.

First question is: Is there anything beyond that wiki article I should be aware of? I understand some of the bitrate restrictions may have been lifted or be lifted later... does the audio still need to be separate in its own ogg file? Note that I'd like to make it possible to stop and replay the video with a button, that part isn't explained... how would I go about doing that?

The second question is technically a bit off-topic but it's for the same purpose so I can include it here: Do you know from where I can download any movie or cartoon sequences that would fit the steampunk universe of TDM? Namely ones that went into the Public Domain, such as the first black & white stuff that had sound made in the 1930's, obviously I'm not adding licensed stuff. I imagine any 30 - 60 second sequence that can loop well should do.

@MirceaKitsune

I have a whole thread on that, and I think the followong post is the most appropriate:

https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/20328-playing-in-game-videos/&do=findComment&comment=445630

There is no sound with the video though ...

You could also download the mtr here:

https://forums.thedarkmod.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=17375

Edited by STRUNK

4 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

@MirceaKitsune

I have a whole thread on that, and I think the followong post is the most appropriate:

There is no sound with the video though ...

That's awesome, thanks, I will look soon! No audio in the video file is fine... it would be nice to place the speaker a bit offset from the screen itself anyway. Just as long as the ogg stays synced with the image, including as you turn the screen on / off.

Where can I get any freely licensed clips that would look good on a TDM TV? Something like either a movie or commercial or cartoon, but of course in 1930's TV style... color would still be welcome as I'm not replicating the evolution of television in real life, the mission's still somewhere in the 1800's just in a place that advanced a tad faster.

1 hour ago, STRUNK said:

@MirceaKitsune

I didn't find a way to stop the video once it's started ...

That part's fine: I can trigger the "hide" flag on the video surface to make it become visible / invisible, already doing this with the light source for my neons. But if you toggle the speaker the same way: Do the two stay in sync as you toggle them, or will the video resume as the surface becomes visible but the speaker starts playing its audio from the beginning instead? That would be a problem as the video and sound would easily go out of sync... in which case I may have to give up on the toggle button.

29 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

@MirceaKitsune

I guess you might try to mute the audio rather then stop it, so it will keep looping, just as the video does.

You can do this by stetting the spawnarg s_volume to -60 to mute, and 0 to unmute. I hope this can be done with a target_setkeyval.

Thanks, that would do then. I was wondering how I'd achieve it since targeting the speaker directly turns it on / off.

Might get around to trying this later tonight then; Waiting for suggestions on where I could find some good video source for this, please let me know if anyone is aware of one. I even wonder if someone who's made a FM with a video briefing is willing to donate it... should already be in roq format too and it might look like a good trailer on a TV screen.

Edited by MirceaKitsune