The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

8 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

Does the AI circle around itself in front of the switch?

no, won't go anywhere near it

9 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

Another possibility might be that the AIs can't see the origin of the switch because it's within the module wall.

think I just need to spend a while playing with it to get to the root of the problem.  It's not just one switch, but all of them in the area I'm working on.  I need a general strategy that takes into account the modules, the monsterclip and the switch placement that will work everywhere...

I'm guessing the AI path nodes don't really have anything to do with it?  Is it expected they will stray off course to deal with the light?  Not really an issue as the switches are right by doors they walk through, but just thought I'd ask.

Edited by Frost_Salamander

2 hours ago, grayman said:

I think you're at the point where you should release a small test map exhibiting the problem, so that someone else can actually see what's happening. It doesn't seem like you're getting anywhere in this discussion.

Test map here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zi_elHG2t7mTA6k5LI4g8gERYUNjkENr/view?usp=sharing

There are 2 rooms, one with modules and one with brushwork.

Observations:

• that switch can't be flush against the wall, I think because the origin then won't be visible to the AI as @Dragofer mentioned.  You can see this in both rooms.
  • in the room with the models, the monsterclip interferes with the pathing.   If you reduce the MC to the point where it can operate the switch, the AI will faff around for a while before it gets to the switch.

So I can sort of get it to work in with the modules, but not in a state where I would include it in a map unless I can figure out how to overcome those issues.

58 minutes ago, Frost_Salamander said:

Test map here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zi_elHG2t7mTA6k5LI4g8gERYUNjkENr/view?usp=sharing

There are 2 rooms, one with modules and one with brushwork.

Observations:

• that switch can't be flush against the wall, I think because the origin then won't be visible to the AI as @Dragofer mentioned.  You can see this in both rooms.
  • in the room with the models, the monsterclip interferes with the pathing.   If you reduce the MC to the point where it can operate the switch, the AI will faff around for a while before it gets to the switch.

So I can sort of get it to work in with the modules, but not in a state where I would include it in a map unless I can figure out how to overcome those issues.

When you remove the casing of the switch (the rectangular cover), then it works. I do not understand that as this item is a func static.

You can make models invisible to AIs by giving them the "noclipmodel" "1" spawnarg (also makes them nonsolid, so would need nodrawsolid brushes if the model is large enough to be noticed as being nonsolid). It's worth seeing how applying this spawnarg to surrounding models, such as the switch casing, affects the switch.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

You can make models invisible to AIs by giving them the "noclipmodel" "1" spawnarg (also makes them nonsolid, so would need nodrawsolid brushes if the model is large enough to be noticed as being nonsolid). It's worth seeing how applying this spawnarg to surrounding models, such as the switch casing, affects the switch.

You are right, that works on my end.

@Frost_Salamander:

Select the casing and give it the property as per Dragofer's post above.

• Thanks 1

I think I have a way forward. 

• If you make the monsterclip very thin, you can drag it almost all the way over to light switch and the AI will use it.  If it's not close enough to the switch, they get confused.  It's thick in the test map because I wanted to simulate how it would look if it was covering other models I had in my 'real' map.
  • You can't have another monsterclipped model like a table too close, as the AI then won't go near it.  So I would need to re-arrange a couple of things but no big deal
  • you can move the switch one unit out from the wall and it's not really that noticeable that it's not flush.  It's obvious if it's casting a shadow, but setting noshadows=1 on it and you can't tell.

4 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

You are right, that works on my end.

@Frost_Salamander:

Select the casing and give it the property as per Dragofer's post above.

Yep just tried in my real map with it flush to the wall model and that worked 👍 🎉

• Like 1

also as a side note, you can cover the switch with monsterclip and it still works.  I guess MC just affects where the AI can move, and not what it can interact with?

@Frost_Salamander

Yep, AIs can only come within 16 units of an MC wall, and I believe it only affects movement possibilites. If a path node is closer than that to a wall, I believe the reason it usually still works is that the AI comes within the node's tolerance zone, but you ofc don't really have tolerance left for anything else then and could easily get an AI walking circles.

• Like 1

REQUEST FOR HELP from someone with rig and skills for working with TDM humanoid md5anim. This would probably take you a few hours. It would take me, I dunno, until the end of time.

Specifically,  I need a shorter version of an existing md5 animation, sotha's pray, by cutting off the beginning and end and making sure the results loops OK. PM me if you can help with that, and to discuss details. Thanks.

You can restrict the frames of an animation to be used in the respective md5anim file. It can be opened in a text editor like notepad++. Remove the frames you don't want and change the framerate to speed it up or slow it down. Getting it to loop well will require some testing, though. I dunno whether there is a working animation editor in TDM, but DarkRadiant comes with an animation viewer at least. Could be useful to get it to loop.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

They serve the best cocktails there :D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I am currerntly trying the new real-time preview which looks to me a major improvement in dark radiant. Is it possible for this to work on a open project with a click of a button without having to type in any console commands?

Edited by kin

6 hours ago, kin said:

I am currerntly trying the new real-time preview which looks to me a major improvement in dark radiant. Is it possible for this to work on a open project with a click of a button without having to type in any console commands?

If your "open project" is not a TDM mission or not using the TDM engine than no, is not possible to use that real-time link, unfortunately is exclusive to TDM.

13 hours ago, HMart said:

If your "open project" is not a TDM mission or not using the TDM engine than no, is not possible to use that real-time link, unfortunately is exclusive to TDM.

What I meant is: can I load a TDM fan mission I have build in dark radiant and hit a single button (in dark radiant) to start dark mod with my mission loaded and syncronised ready to play?

9 hours ago, kin said:

What I meant is: can I load a TDM fan mission I have build in dark radiant and hit a single button (in dark radiant) to start dark mod with my mission loaded and syncronised ready to play?

Ha Ok that does explains better, unfortunately cannot help you, I never used that feature my self. 

I have a model and textures, and I've created a materials file for it.  I don't get though how to associate the materials file with the model so it all shows up properly in DR.  I've looked at the dewdrop model as an example, but I can't figure it out. What am I missing?  Do I need a skin?

Edited by Frost_Salamander

@Frost_Salamander
That sounds lile you're trying to use an .obj, which can't be used in TDM. It works differently for .ase, the model needs to be exported with its surfaces carrying material names corresponding to the material names in TDM including paths.

So i.e. compass1 or textures/darkmod/wood/boards/rough_wood.

An alternative is to use a skin to swap out materials on the model.

It's a .lwo model that @Kerry000 provided, along with diffusemap and bumpmap texture files.  They are .dds though (I converted them to .tga as well so I have both - do I need both)?

4 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

@Frost_Salamander
That sounds lile you're trying to use an .obj, which can't be used in TDM. It works differently for .ase, the model needs to be exported with its surfaces carrying material names corresponding to the material names in TDM including paths.

So i.e. compass1 or textures/darkmod/wood/boards/rough_wood.

An alternative is to use a skin to swap out materials on the model.

oh right - so there is information in the model file itself about where to find the materials?  OK will check about that...