The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

How do I get a "pickpocket an AI" objective to work?

I made a guard called Bob, gave him a key, and set the objective to read "Pickpocket entity Bob" but stealing his key does not finish the objective.

I also tried changing it to "Player possesses item BobsKey" but that does not work either.

What am I doing wrong?

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

3 hours ago, thebigh said:

How do I get a "pickpocket an AI" objective to work?

I don't know how that works but the key that Bob has, is an unique item so I guess this should work, where Tropy shoud be the specific key "BobsKey" and the description "Steal Bob's key". (And forget about the Completion script "DropDead, that should be empty, if you don't want to call a script on completion that is, otherwise there should be the name of the script you want to call) :
objective.jpg

Edited by STRUNK

DR question: suppose I have a func_static made of a large number of brushes. To select an individual brush, I know I can cycle through the components with Tab (or Shift-Tab the other way). I know I can select an individual face by touching it with Ctrl-Shift LMB. Is there some way to select a component without cycling? Either directly, or by expanding a selected face? Other than by converting the func_static to worldspawn and back.

17 minutes ago, Geep said:

DR question: suppose I have a func_static made of a large number of brushes. To select an individual brush, I know I can cycle through the components with Tab (or Shift-Tab the other way). I know I can select an individual face by touching it with Ctrl-Shift LMB. Is there some way to select a component without cycling? Either directly, or by expanding a selected face? Other than by converting the func_static to worldspawn and back.

There's a button called "Select Group Parts" on one of the top panes of DR. Rather misleadingly, it won't let you select parts of actual groups.

• Thanks 1

Probably "Select Entity Parts" or "Select Entity Primitives" would be better naming.

There's another toolbar button next to it, "Select Entities", that as far as I can see only untoggles any of the other 4 selection-mode buttons. But seems unnecessary to exist because you can just directly untoggle whichever selection button is down. Unless there's some key-binding or accessibility reason to need it.

I did eventually get the "Player possesses item" thing to work but I still would like to know how to get pickpocket objectives to fire, for future reference. This is what I am looking at:

Pickpocket_Bob.thumb.jpg.f0941277433657eaae5221102c80356b.jpg

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

On 1/9/2022 at 6:18 PM, thebigh said:

I did eventually get the "Player possesses item" thing to work but I still would like to know how to get pickpocket objectives to fire, for future reference. This is what I am looking at:

I tried to get it to work with no succes. I guess it's meant for the general act of pickpocketing, not for getting a specific item.
I don't really see the practical use of it unless you want to make a: "Pickpocket as many ppl in 10 minutes" sort of challenge : )

Wiki says:

• pickpocket
An inventory item must be taken from a conscious AI. Note that it doesn't matter what happens to the item after it is pickpocketed. It could be destroyed or dropped, but as long as it was originally pickpocketed, it counts. SDK Name: COMP_PICKPOCKET Number of Specificatons: 1 (Item the player must pickpocket) Applicable Specifiers: All except AI type, team and innocence Expected Arguments: int (number of items to pickpocket, 1 by default) Edited by STRUNK

Texture material files have the following code in them which is for frob-highlight:

{
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
        map         _white.tga
        rgb         0.40 * parm11
    }
    {
        if ( parm11 > 0 )
        blend       add
        map         path/to/texture
        rgb         0.15 * parm11
    }   

Is this also needed for textures that won't be frobbed like a floor or a wall? If so, why is that?

(edit: strictly this isn't entirely DR related, but I didn't want to make a whole topic about it)

Edited by datiswous

I've got another problem involving objectives that I can't figure out.

I have a pretty standard set of objectives: get a specific item, get X amount of loot, go to the exit when you're done. But I want a door near the exit location to open when your objectives are done and you enter the info_tdm_objective_location. However, triggering the door using a Completion Target does not work- I'm guessing because the mission complete takes priority and never triggers it. How can I get this to work?

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

1 hour ago, thebigh said:

I've got another problem involving objectives that I can't figure out.

I have a pretty standard set of objectives: get a specific item, get X amount of loot, go to the exit when you're done. But I want a door near the exit location to open when your objectives are done and you enter the info_tdm_objective_location. However, triggering the door using a Completion Target does not work- I'm guessing because the mission complete takes priority and never triggers it. How can I get this to work?

Objective 1 ---> completion target ---> trigger-count_entity XYZ with count N

Objective 2 ---> completion target --> trigger_count_entity XYZ with count N

Objecive N --->dto.

Then simply target the door in question from the trigger_count entity XYZ.

Edited by JackFarmer

That will open the door when I am away from player_exit, and I already had that working more or less OK. What I was hoping for is this: you've been out on a dangerous mission, grabbed your special treasure and loot objective and it's time to come home. When you approach home, the door swings open welcomingly just as the screen fades to black and you get the "MISSION COMPLETE" text.

The problem is that an objective that completes the mission does not trigger its Completion Target (or script) and I haven't been able to find a way to fake that behaviour.

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

39 minutes ago, thebigh said:

That will open the door when I am away from player_exit, and I already had that working more or less OK. What I was hoping for is this: you've been out on a dangerous mission, grabbed your special treasure and loot objective and it's time to come home. When you approach home, the door swings open welcomingly just as the screen fades to black and you get the "MISSION COMPLETE" text.

The problem is that an objective that completes the mission does not trigger its Completion Target (or script) and I haven't been able to find a way to fake that behaviour.

Then this should work if you expand the setup I described above with the following:

Objective 1 ---> completion target ---> trigger-count_entity XYZ with count N

Objective 2 ---> completion target --> trigger_count_entity XYZ with count N

Objecive N --->dto.

Further steps:

1. Place a trigger_once entity brush in the location you want the player to be the door in question shall open
  2. Give the trigger_once entity the property "triggerFirst - 1" (this sets the trigger_once brush inactive - the player cannot activate it by touching - and it waits for its activation)
  3. Target the trigger_once_entity brush from the trigger_count

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 2

Perfect! I had to fiddle a bit to get the trigger_once and the player exit to not compete with each other but I think I have it working now

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Geep said:

I have a atdm:bonfire and a large surrounding trigger hurt. If the player extinguishes the bonfire, I'd like that shut off the trigger hurt. Possible?

I think you just target the trigger_hurt from the bonfire.

Edit: I guess I finished third. At least my answer was correct. 😁

Edited by joebarnin
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another question -

I have a atdm:env_ragdoll_skeleton_white, with a def_head of atdm:ai_head_skeleton_skull. The skeleton is frobbable. When the skeleton is frobbed, the skull doesn't highlight. Is there a relatively easy way to do so?

(Evidently FM "Cole Hurst 1: Eaton" also had this problem... but solved it by making the skeleton unfrobbable.)

It would seem that frob_peer spawnarg set on the skeleton would be appropriate, but how do you figure out or set the name of the skull in that case, so frob_peer can reference it?

2 minutes ago, Geep said:

Another question -

I have a atdm:env_ragdoll_skeleton_white, with a def_head of atdm:ai_head_skeleton_skull. The skeleton is frobbable. When the skeleton is frobbed, the skull doesn't highlight. Is there a relatively easy way to do so?

(Evidently FM "Cole Hurst 1: Eaton" also had this problem... but solved it by making the skeleton unfrobbable.)

It would seem that frob_peer spawnarg set on the skeleton would be appropriate, but how do you figure out or set the name of the skull in that case, so frob_peer can reference it?

It's a core bug of ragdolls. The best I can think of is to use "set frob_peer on head" "(name of ragdoll)" so that the head is a frob peer of the body.

• Like 1

The best I can think of is to use "set frob_peer on head" "(name of ragdoll)" so that the head is a frob peer of the body.

But doesn't that presume that "head" is the name of the head in the "set" command? Tried it, didn't work.

10 minutes ago, Geep said:

But doesn't that presume that "head" is the name of the head in the "set" command? Tried it, didn't work.

No, "set" commands for heads are a special feature that I added support for in 2.10. If you use "set x on head" on an AI it'll apply the spawnargs to the head even though there is no name_attach for it.

Well, I dont think this applies to ragdolls since those are a completely different spawnclass from AIs (AFEntity with attached head).

Would it be sufficient to place an AI and KO/kill it at map start?

I tried without success -

"set frob_peer on def_head" <name of skeleton>

"frob_peer" "atdm_ai_head_skeleton_skull_1"     just guessing what the name might be; only use of this head in game

"frob_peer" "atdm_ai_head_skeleton_skull1"

5 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

Would it be sufficient to place an AI and KO/kill it at map start?

With that approach, it would be harder to position the skeleton in the right orientation. Nevertheless, I'd do it if it was vital, but in this case, it's just some eye candy.

Thanks for thinking about it. I'm moving on.  🚶‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Geep said:

"set frob_peer on def_head"

It would be "set frob_peer on head" actually. Anything with def refers to an entityDef (classname), while "head" is just some name given to this particular attachment on this body.