The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

On 4/6/2023 at 10:44 AM, grodenglaive said:

I figured it out! I had deleted a previous desk in that location, but left behind the drawer collision boxes. I had the collision filter on, so I didn't see them (and also they didn't get selected for the test map I exported). 😀

Even though the boxes don't overlap with the position of the key, it was still interfering some how. Anyway, I deleted those and now I can frob the key.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 112855.jpg

Isn't it amazing how potent these "new to me" experiences are and how much more agile you get after trudging through an issue?  Many a time have I been stalled simply because I had the filters on.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cvlw said:

Isn't it amazing how potent these "new to me" experiences are and how much more agile you get after trudging through an issue?  Many a time have I been stalled simply because I had the filters on.

I'm pretty sure this is a Dark Radiant rite of passage

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi,

I'm currently experiemnting with optical illusions and I'm searching for a way to create a door using a portal sky texture. Seems that doesn't work as expected. Based on testing, I assume the portal sky texture does only work when it's counter side is facing the void.

Is there an easy way to bypass that?

Here's an example. For testing I created a room out of a bush and put the portal sky texture on the inner side. This is the portal sky texture in the background and it's just used to seal my playgorund. In the foregound you see a lever, which is supposed to open a secret door. The wall and secret door also have the portal sky texture.

So I'm hoping to see my skybox on the wall, which you could then open and be in another room all of a sudden.

This is what it looks like in DR:
portal_sky_door.jpg.cc0d74c4baf22ada2dd6c5f0aad99698.jpg

And here's an ingame screenshot. As you can see, instead of the skybox texture the wall is invisible. The player is supposed to see the sky instead.

ingame.thumb.jpg.f49b00fa585fdd089aeb840438c527e3.jpg

Also,
I'm looking for a way to use multiple skyboxes. Since there's only one portal sky texture I don't see an elegant way to do this. I'd imagine that this would requrie naming the skyboxes and scripting the portal sky texture, in order route it to the currect skybox. But thats just me guessing on a potential solution, without having the actual technical skills yet.

Edited by schabernack
Update

13 hours ago, schabernack said:

Here's an example. For testing I created a room out of a bush and put the portal sky texture on the inner side. This is the portal sky texture in the background and it's just used to seal my playgorund. In the foregound you see a lever, which is supposed to open a secret door. The wall and secret door also have the portal sky texture.

So I'm hoping to see my skybox on the wall, which you could then open and be in another room all of a sudden.

This is what it looks like in DR:
portal_sky_door.jpg.cc0d74c4baf22ada2dd6c5f0aad99698.jpg

And here's an ingame screenshot. As you can see, instead of the skybox texture the wall is invisible. The player is supposed to see the sky instead.

The brushes have to be touched by the outer portal sky geometry as per the example attached and you need to add a visportal, of course.

uw1.map

• Like 1

14 hours ago, schabernack said:

Also,

I'm looking for a way to use multiple skyboxes. Since there's only one portal sky texture I don't see an elegant way to do this. I'd imagine that this would requrie naming the skyboxes and scripting the portal sky texture, in order route it to the currect skybox. But thats just me guessing on a potential solution, without having the actual technical skills yet.

Don't know if this works, but you can give it a try:

1. Place all skyboxes you want to have in the mission in the void

2. Remove all cameras from the skyboxes with one exception.

3. Try to teleport the camera in question with a switch  into other skyboxes.

Has anyone experienced the following issues and can offer advice?:

• I'm having a problem where some beta testers have reported that belt-attached keys aren't frobable on some AI. I haven't been able to reproduce it at all, and not everyone has reported it.  It might be intermittent as well (i.e. it will work on reload, etc).
  • In a couple of places I have some visportals in outdoor areas (i.e. not simply covering a door or window).  If you cross them the ambient light changes slightly.  These aren't separate locations with different ambient settings or anything.  Not sure what's causing it.
Edited by Frost_Salamander

6 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:

Has anyone experienced the following issues and can offer advice?:

• In a couple of places I have some visportals in outdoor areas (i.e. not simply covering a door or window).  If you cross them the ambient light changes slightly.  These aren't separate locations with different ambient settings or anything.  Not sure what's causing it.

Give the relevant info location entities the property

ambient_light_dynamic - 0 0 0

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

Give the relevant info location entities the property

ambient_light_dynamic - 0 0 0

That appears to have done it!  Thank you.

19 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

The brushes have to be touched by the outer portal sky geometry as per the example attached and you need to add a visportal, of course.

You are saying all skyportal brushes have to be connected to each other?

Doing this gives me the same efect in-game, although the skyportal brush is not touched by the outer portal sky geometry anymore.

portalsky.jpg.2bcdf0e7a4f1bbc4ba6053ff3141b718.jpg

I conclude that the brushes have to be connected, but they don't need to be all skyportal applied. Correct?

Sorry, I highjack the question, but I had this earlier as well and didn't understand.

Edited by datiswous

On 4/11/2023 at 11:59 AM, datiswous said:

You are saying all skyportal brushes have to be connected to each other?

Doing this gives me the same efect in-game, although the skyportal brush is not touched by the outer portal sky geometry anymore.

portalsky.jpg.2bcdf0e7a4f1bbc4ba6053ff3141b718.jpg

I conclude that the brushes have to be connected, but they don't need to be all skyportal applied. Correct?

Sorry, I highjack the question, but I had this earlier as well and didn't understand.

Since there was no explanation yet. Based on my experience, the portal sky texture only works when being on the border of a visleaf. Hence, the comment for the necessity of a visportal.

So in my earlier attempt I just put the texture on a random brush in the middle of the map, which was then transparent instead of the skybox texture.

However, creating a proper door out of a portal sky brush is still tricky, when it comes to immersion. Once the door/visportal is opened the portal sky texture looses it's effect and will turn transparent. Which means, it works but looks strange to the player. So there should be a way to blend from the portal sky texture to the new texture from what you see behind. Also it might be necessary to stack two doors behind each other, that will be opend together, Otherwise you would end up having a transparent door from the side of the portal texture (once it's opened).

Even though the wiki was just mentioned when it comes to objectives. Alternatively you can also listen to Sothas calm voice 😉

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 5:38 PM, Dragofer said:

Has anyone figured out how to change the font colour in a readable? The font images have a recolour-friendly white base colour, but the GUIs always seem to set them to pure black regardless of matcolor setting

Have you figured this out? Do you mean the 3d-view (so how it shows in the game world) or when you click on it and opens fulscreen? I ask this because I remember I stumbled onto something when doing fixes to StLucia (making the church book visible in color in the game-view).

13 hours ago, datiswous said:

Have you figured this out? Do you mean the 3d-view (so how it shows in the game world) or when you click on it and opens fulscreen? I ask this because I remember I stumbled onto something when doing fixes to StLucia (making the church book visible in color in the game-view).

Thanks for asking, Ive figured it out in SLL for making those self-fading readable items. I think it was a matter of setting the colours in the GUI stages in a certain way.

image.png.390ec1897268ec93b6c6228c8505735e.png

When I look at a brush with water texture through clear glass (A), nothing can be seen.  If I move to another position (B), it becomes visible.

I would like to create transparent pipes with toxic (or any sort of) water in it, but do not know how to get it working.

6 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

image.png.390ec1897268ec93b6c6228c8505735e.png

When I look at a brush with water texture through clear glass (A), nothing can be seen.  If I move to another position (B), it becomes visible.

I would like to create transparent pipes with toxic (or any sort of) water in it, but do not know how to get it working.

I had this discussion here, but it was about warp glass. Maybe somewhat related?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

In other words: no solution to this problem, right?

correct.  Although I thought it worked with clear glass and you are saying it doesn't?

12 minutes ago, Frost_Salamander said:

correct.  Although I thought it worked with clear glass and you are saying it doesn't?

Yes, I used clear glass warp as per the example above, and it does not work. :(

Sorry, my mistake; I uses warp instead of clear glass. This works, thank you very much!

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1