The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I tried to insert some readables with i18n support, but all I get are the string numbers ingame. :wacko:

shot00001.jpg

I've found it best to do the translation setup automatically, after all the readables have been set up and edited. DarkRadiant doesn't fully support I18N, so it will show you "str_xxxxx" strings when looking at a readable that's been "localized".

Read this wiki page on how to use Tels' perl script. It only takes a few seconds to run.

Hm.. I have no idea, why it works now. All I did was removing the brackets in the xd-file and saved...

Another weeeird error:

I created a small testroom for my new materials. Everything worked fine. But when I copy the testroom into my mainmap, I can't see my new textures! o.O I also have got problems with new light textures. Here is an example:

This one works:

lights/tdm_streetlamp_square_light
{
lightFalloffImage makeintensity( textures/lights/streetlamp_square_light )
{
forceHighQuality
map textures/lights/streetlamp_square_light
colored
zeroClamp
}
}

This one not:

lights/tdm_grill_light_big
{
lightFalloffImage makeintensity( textures/lights/grill_light_big )
{
forceHighQuality
map textures/lights/grill_light_big
colored
zeroClamp
}
}

They are both in the same mtr file.

lights.jpg

Is there a limitation for materials, that are loaded?

When I apply the non-functional material as a texture to the light with the following path:

textures/lights/grill_light_big

instead of the material path:

lights/tdm_grill_light_big

it works... but this isn't a real solution. Please help.

Edit: An error I get after loading teh map:

error.jpg

Edited by Radiant

Yes, but we don't know what effect Obsttorte is aiming for; he doesn't say he's dousing - and toggle let's one test repeatedly without relaunching the map. He's using toggle. Let's see - he's hitting a generator. Hey Obsttorte, if your purpose is to shortcircuit a generator with a water arrow - I applaud it but make sure you let the players know in a readme or clue or something or they'll never think to try that. I quite like that idea actually, short-circuiting electrical apparatus to disable, eg, a security device or electric gate bolt. :)

@Fidcal:

yep, thats what I had in mind, and yes, I added a readable hint for that (but at least it's not nesessary to complete the mission)

btw.: it seems, that some entities are reacting to some stims and some not

e.g.: the generator does not respond to water-stims, but some gears I placed before him does

an electrical lamp can be set to react to water, but does not react to shield

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I managed it to copy my materials from the testmap to the mainmap and I can see them. But as soon as I move the brush with the material up or down, I can't see them. Moving to left and right on the same level works. -.-'

Even if I delete everything, except for the materials.

This one works:

// primitive 1
{
brushDef3
{
( 0 0 1 -48 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0.5 ) ( 0 0.0625 0.5 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 0 1 0 -32 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 29.5 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 1 0 0 -57 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0.5 ) ( 0 0.0625 29.5 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 0 0 -1 -24 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 0 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 0 -1 0 -24 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 29.5 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( -1 0 0 56 ) ( ( 0.015625 0 127.5 ) ( 0 0.015625 127.75 ) ) "textures/darkmod/sfx/glint_blue" 0 0 0
}
}

This one not, it is just some units above the other:

// primitive 15
{
brushDef3
{
( 0 0 1 -200 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0.5 ) ( 0 0.0625 0.5 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 0 1 0 -32 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 7 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 1 0 0 -57 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0.5 ) ( 0 0.0625 7 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 0 0 -1 128 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 0 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 0 -1 0 -24 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 7 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( -1 0 0 56 ) ( ( 0.015625 0 127.5 ) ( 0 0.015625 2.125 ) ) "textures/darkmod/sfx/glint_blue" 0 0 0
}
}

Edited by Radiant

some entities are reacting to some stims and some not

e.g.: the generator does not respond to water-stims, but some gears I placed before him does

an electrical lamp can be set to react to water, but does not react to shield

Maybe size does matter then. In any event, you don't want a water arrow to disable a big generator by hitting a bolt on its base plate. I would set up a clip or no draw brush func static with the response around the vulnerable-looking parts where one might expect water to cause a short.

I don't know how a shield stim works.

OK, first quick look - if you look in the console in DR you see a jpeg error - the editor image is the wrong file format. Convert it to a true jpg and it shows correctly in DR.

I'll look again at this later - maybe that was the only error?

Oh - just glancing up you say you can see it in DR - maybe you have a later DR than me that can handle jpegs. False alarm. I'll check later. Perhaps you can clarify what you mean by moving it up and down - I assume you mean in DR? It's probably to do with your main image being one horizontal line but that's a guess. I'll look later - just got up... zzzzzz......

[...] what you mean by moving it up and down - I assume you mean in DR? [..]

Yes.

And yes, it is a horizontal image. But this should be solved by setting the texture to "fit". But it's a good idea. I will try to just "resize" the old brush, until it reaches the top of the new brush, which didn't work.

Edit: The experiment didn't work. The brush disappears after resizing.

Edited by Radiant

Only just had time to look at this again. The glyph shows in DR and in game so I don't know what the problem is. If I move the brush in DR then the glyph moves with it. So the question is, what effect were you aiming for in-game? I can't see anything wrong unless I know what your intentions are. They show and they flicker. Is it intended that they scroll or fade or what? What speed? Is there a reason why these are thin brushes and not patches? Aren't these glyphs one of the things that are supposed to be invisible until you do something then they show?

Edit: I have found the issue now. :laugh:

I removed the following from the mtr file:

"deform tube" so it isnt bend.

"translucent" because it already has got an alpha channel

"clamp"

@Fidcal: Thank you very much again for your helping hand!

Edited by Radiant

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the func_fracture entity

in an earlier post Fidcal mentioned that the func_fracture entity triggers it targets upon destruction

that doesn't seem to work

any suggestions?

You might want to take a look at func_damagable.

If what you're trying to do is destroy something and have that act trigger other entities, I have a test map that shows you how to do it.

I've never used func_fracture, so I can't comment on that.

I want to have breakable glass, behind that glass there's a target_set_frobable that should be triggered when the glass is broken

the glass breaking effect is quite nice, so ... just the triggering doesn't work

If what you're trying to do is destroy something and have that act trigger other entities, I have a test map that shows you how to do it.

that would help, or you just explain it ;)

thanks

A very Noob question here.

I'm about to start looking at DarkRadiant (last time I did anything like this, it was with DromEd). The documentation on TDM Forums about DR appears at first glance to be a bit sparse - but maybe I haven't looked hard enough yet. However, the question is simple - should I be looking at gtkRadiant first and then moving over to DR, or is gtkRadiant (and its documentation) now irrelevant?

There could be a folder in the install for Dark Radiant with the A-Z tutorial and a few other key tutorials, the starter map, some test maps... That's what Thief2 had and I would have had no idea about mapping but for that. I know everybody has internet access these days, but I imagine some people on some forum out there getting the game, who knows how, without any idea you can map for it or what's on the home site... Digging around inside and stumbling into the dark radiant folder may be just the invitation they need. We're a map driven community, so I think it'd have a good payoff. It's not that much extra size, people that already have it can delete it, & they have everything they need to start mapping. They can start without even knowing about this site. Well just a suggestion.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I totally agree with demagogue. - Maybe even mention the opportunity in the training mission in one of the readables?

However, the question is simple - should I be looking at gtkRadiant first and then moving over to DR, or is gtkRadiant (and its documentation) now irrelevant?

If you map for TDM there is no reason to go back to Gtk. ;) Many of the Gtk Tutorials still can be applied to DarkRadiant.

Just follow graymans link. (You can find some Tutorials on YouTube as well.)

If you are really new to mapping, make sure you have selected the right window layout for the editor. (View->WindowLayout) I think, many things come down to this, when you don't feel comfortable with the appereance. Anyway, don't hesitate to ask further questions or write a pm.

I've used the regular Radiant editor and thought that DarkRadiant would be just as easy to start. Not so. I am unable to load Dark Mod files with this editor. I copied the dark mod's files into my C drive and yet I do not get any of its textures or models when running the editor. How do I solve this?

I've used the regular Radiant editor and thought that DarkRadiant would be just as easy to start. Not so. I am unable to load Dark Mod files with this editor. I copied the dark mod's files into my C drive and yet I do not get any of its textures or models when running the editor. How do I solve this?

Go to preferences and the first option I believe is the path to Darkmod. put that in, it works just like Radiant where you point it to Quake3 directory where the exe is. So if your Darkmod folder is C:\Games\Doom3\Darkmod you would put c:\games\doom3 into the path.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.