The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

(I have a little problem, after playing around with a worldspawn object i forgot to name it back, saved and dmapped... i could not load the map so back to DR i saw that every brush was yellow... i named the brush i forgot back to worldspawn, i got an error but everything seems to be normal but i still cant dmap and load the map in DM. Is there a way to fix this? Please help me :rolleyes:

Edit: if not its not so bad because i am saving very often but its still a lot of work)

edit2: NM, started from a previous savepoint

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Convert the image to a format it understands. Look for an image conversion library written in C# (or with bindings to C#) that supports DDS. I found DevIL.NET and XNA without even trying - just Googled "c# dds" and that came straight up. You're welcome. :P

However, replicating D3's GUI code sounds like a fairly challenging coding task for the uninitiated. Getting the images working is only a small part of the battle. Might I suggest getting everything else working first, and then coming back to proper image display later?

Yeah I just converted the DDS files to PNG, I'll get back to the DDS file format later. It's a pretty rough GUI so far, needs lots of work, but I've only had tonight and 2 nights ago to play with it.

post-529-125748155055_thumb.jpgpost-529-125748156451_thumb.jpg

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

(I have a little problem, after playing around with a worldspawn object i forgot to name it back, saved and dmapped... i could not load the map so back to DR i saw that every brush was yellow... i named the brush i forgot back to worldspawn, i got an error but everything seems to be normal but i still cant dmap and load the map in DM. Is there a way to fix this? Please help me :rolleyes:

Edit: if not its not so bad because i am saving very often but its still a lot of work)

edit2: NM, started from a previous savepoint

If you select worldspawn, do you see any unusual spawnargs in entity inspector?

What error do you get in the console when you try to dmap?

If you select worldspawn, do you see any unusual spawnargs in entity inspector?

If you mean "World" in the Entity List, no seems to be ok

What error do you get in the console when you try to dmap?

--------------------------------------

--- Common Initialization Complete ---

------------- Warnings ---------------

during DOOM 3 initialization...

WARNING: file sound/tdm_sfx_impact.sndshd, line 425: sound 'small_metal_impact

' previously defined at sound/tdm_sfx_impact.sndshd:77

1 warnings

Couldn't write .

]dmap gen55/general5

---- dmap ----

--- LoadDMapFile ---

loading maps/gen55/general5

0 total world brushes

0 total world triSurfs

3 patches

335 entities

784 planes

0 areaportals

size: 1000000015047466200000000000000,1000000015047466200000000000000,10000000

15047466200000000000000 to -1000000015047466200000000000000,-10000000150474662

00000000000000,-1000000015047466200000000000000

############### entity 326 ###############

--- FaceBSP ---

0 faces

1 leafs

0.1 seconds faceBsp

----- MakeTreePortals -----

WARNING: node without a volume

----- FilterBrushesIntoTree -----

1 total brushes

1 cluster references

----- ClipSidesByTree -----

--- FloodAreas ---

area 0 has 1 leafs

1 areas

----- PutPrimitivesInAreas -----

----- OptimizeEntity -----

----- OptimizeAreaGroups Results -----

2 tris in

2 tris after edge removal optimization

2 tris after final t junction fixing

----- FixGlobalTjunctions -----

############### entity 333 ###############

--- FaceBSP ---

1759 faces

1401 leafs

0.2 seconds faceBsp

----- MakeTreePortals -----

----- FilterBrushesIntoTree -----

287 total brushes

839 cluster references

----- ClipSidesByTree -----

--- FloodAreas ---

area 0 has 307 leafs

area 1 has 438 leafs

area 2 has 1 leafs

area 3 has 1 leafs

area 4 has 1 leafs

area 5 has 1 leafs

area 6 has 1 leafs

area 7 has 1 leafs

area 8 has 1 leafs

area 9 has 1 leafs

area 10 has 1 leafs

area 11 has 1 leafs

area 12 has 1 leafs

area 13 has 1 leafs

area 14 has 1 leafs

area 15 has 3 leafs

area 16 has 1 leafs

17 areas

----- PutPrimitivesInAreas -----

----- OptimizeEntity -----

1488 tris in

872 tris after edge removal optimization

999 tris after final t junction fixing

WARNING: backwards triangle in input!

3775 tris in

2218 tris after edge removal optimization

2920 tris after final t junction fixing

4 tris in

4 tris after edge removal optimization

4 tris after final t junction fixing

8 tris in

8 tris after edge removal optimization

8 tris after final t junction fixing

6 tris in

6 tris after edge removal optimization

6 tris after final t junction fixing

6 tris in

6 tris after final t junction fixing

7 tris in

7 tris after edge removal optimization

12 tris after final t junction fixing

6 tris in

4 tris in

4 tris after edge removal optimization

4 tris after final t junction fixing

12 tris in

10 tris after edge removal optimization

15 tris after final t junction fixing

10 tris in

10 tris in

9 tris in

7 tris after edge removal optimization

7 tris after final t junction fixing

2 tris in

2 tris after edge removal optimization

2 tris after final t junction fixing

32 tris in

28 tris after edge removal optimization

28 tris after final t junction fixing

8 tris in

----- FixGlobalTjunctions -----

----- WriteOutputFile -----

writing maps/gen55/general5.proc

--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

--------------------------------------

ERROR: Entity 333 has surfaces, but no name key

WARNING: idSession: triggering mainmenu watchdog

I get more triangle and node warnings, i have no idea where entity 333 is, and at the end watchdog... something

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Use menu > Map > Find brush > Entity number.

so i have found brush no. 333 and replaced it, after dmap it shows me again that 333 has no name key. Back at DR i search for it again but this time it was anouther brush and again and again. I think the only way to get that map back to normal is by replacing all the brushes. well i am not trying that but maybe its usefull for a bugreport.

Entity Inspector is not the same as the entity list.

;) yeah i know, i meant that "worldspawn" i choose in entity list and then check the inspector

thanks for your help again

Could someone attach for me the following texture: plaster > framed_gables? In the PK4 file, there is an editor image and a localmap but not a diffuse; hence, it does not show up in the game.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Could someone attach for me the following texture: plaster > framed_gables? In the PK4 file, there is an editor image and a localmap but not a diffuse; hence, it does not show up in the game.

The diffuse is there, it's a DDS file which is located in the dds/ subtree: dds/textures/darkmod/plaster/framed_gables.dds so it should show up in game.

I see the file is there, but in game mode, it does not show up. Granted, a similar error is found on another textured surface. Will try to upload a screenshot, but I am in a seriously bandwidth-free area.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

so i have found brush no. 333 and replaced it, after dmap it shows me again that 333 has no name key. Back at DR i search for it again but this time it was anouther brush and again and again. I think the only way to get that map back to normal is by replacing all the brushes. well i am not trying that but maybe its usefull for a bugreport.

;) yeah i know, i meant that "worldspawn" i choose in entity list and then check the inspector

thanks for your help again

No it's not brush 333; it's entity 333. Check again menu > Map > Find brush > Entity number then if it finds entity 333, take a look in entity inspector to see what it is. If it has no entity name (not the classname but the next line down) then try giving it a name. Alternatively you might delete it if you recognize what it might be and not important.

• Like 1

I see the file is there, but in game mode, it does not show up. Granted, a similar error is found on another textured surface. Will try to upload a screenshot, but I am in a seriously bandwidth-free area.

If it is showing black this sometimes happens where doom3's rendering process goes slightly wrong. It often can be fixed by rebuilding slightly differently, moving a brush or whatever. Anyway, try that texture on another surface elsewhere just to check it's working.

If you have to upload then of course convert to jpg low quality and crop and reduce the size as much as appropriate enough to see. It might only be 2 or 3K.

No it's not brush 333; it's entity 333. Check again menu > Map > Find brush > Entity number then if it finds entity 333, take a look in entity inspector to see what it is. If it has no entity name (not the classname but the next line down) then try giving it a name. Alternatively you might delete it if you recognize what it might be and not important.

I was searching for entity, sorry that was just a failure in writing.

To make it easier here a pic, the entity 333 is highlighted, the two entitys with no texture were entity 333 before.

entity.jpg

edit: ok thats just a waste of time, after replacing that one it shows me, Warning: map is empty, no entitys found. I already started from another savepoint. Thank you for you help but i dont think this is repairable.

Edited by Sonosuke

...:D

i have build like 50 monsterclips.... i did not think that he will try to run into the fridge :o

Helpme.jpg

Edited by Sonosuke

I've got to admit, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the Stim/Response system. I'm not sure when an entity has to be a stim or a response, or which ones should be which.

I've been experimenting with trying to turn a light on by standing near a func_static or putting objects near it, but I'm not sure how to pass which arguments where. *Confused*

I feel like I should be explaining my confusion better but I'm not sure how.

S & R takes a bit of understanding and its not fully documented.

One problem is that you want to detect the player. There is a player stim but you have no control over its radius etc from the player. Instead of s & r, for the player I suggest you use one of the trigger entities: trigger_multiple. Drag out a brush around the func static to define the volume where you want the player to trigger it then give it trigger_multiple. Then add to it: target lightname.

Similarly, for the specific objects you might try trigger_once_entityname. Again target the light. You also need to add the entity name that triggers it. This is something like entity_name but I have to check that.

Alternatively create a custom stim name and assign it to the func_static. Adjust the radius. Then assign that same stim name as a response to the objects to be placed near it.

Sorry I can't test at the moment.

<br />If it is showing black this sometimes happens where doom3's rendering process goes slightly wrong. It often can be fixed by rebuilding slightly differently, moving a brush or whatever. Anyway, try that texture on another surface elsewhere just to check it's working.<br /><br />If you have to upload then of course convert to jpg low quality and crop and reduce the size as much as appropriate enough to see. It might only be 2 or 3K.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I could fix the building facade with the gables texture. Here is the other instance:

post-2023-125759567927_thumb.jpg

The problem is, it would be pretty hard to rebuild that segment completely. Maybe I should patch over the hole with wooden boards? It is a derelict building after all...

@Melan: Yes, that's another trick I did a few months ago in another FM where this happened - just cover it up! It's not surprising that occasionally the doom3 rendering code gets it wrong because it must be quite a complex process.

@ Neb: If you want the whole room or say a recess to trigger the light then it's also worth looking at http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Location_Settings although that article is a bit complicated but in essence I believe you need to set up visportals to outline the area. Ignore the thing about sound and just use an ordinary light instead of the ambient with zero fade if no fade is wanted.

Thanks for the help with that Fidcal. :)

I managed to get the trigger to work on the light, and I'll have to play around with the location settings at some point, too.

I've got lots of experimenting to do, and surely I'll come back with more questions later.

I am having some trouble inserting readables in the map.

1) I have a file named tdm_maps_m.xd in the xdata folder; let's say the readable I want to refer to is named gate_maynard. In this case, the relevant section in my xd file reads thus:

{

"classname" "atdm:readable_mobile_paper01"

"name" "sheet_paper"

"inv_name" "Gate Note"

"origin" "0 0 0"

"xdata_contents" "gate_maynard"

}

readables/gate_maynard

{

precache

"num_pages" : "2"

"page1_title" :

{

"Maynard, you taffer!"

}

"page1_body" :

{

"(readable message)"

""

}

"page2_title" :

{

""

}

"page2_body" :

{

"(readable message)"

}

__

"gui_page1" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand.gui"

"gui_page2" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand.gui"

"gui_page3" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand.gui"

"gui_page4" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_ellianerelle.gui"

//NO NEED TO DELETE UNWANTED PAGES HERE

"gui_page5" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_ellianerelle.gui"

//COPY LINES & RENUMBER TO ADD PAGES

"snd_page_turn" : "readable_page_turn"

}

2) In DarkRadiant, I added a prefab sheet and added the following (modified) string: xdata_contents: gate_maynard

3) The readable does not function. I don't even have an idea where I am going wrong; the instructions in the tutorials go right over my head.

Edited by Melan

No worries; there are several things that can go wrong with readables and I do most of them some of the time. :laugh:

The xdata heading must be the full virtual path and name, ie, readables/gate_maynard not just gate_maynard. Remember that is not a true folder path but just an arbitary invention that you choose yourself.

so I tryed to install DarkRadiant. But somehow it didn't want to work properly.

Orthoview don't show anything except plain whide.

ager: Event FilterPatches already registered!

EventManager: Event FilterBrushes already registered!

EventManager: Event FilterWeatherTextures already registered!

EventManager: Event FilterPaths already registered!

model intro_scientist inherits unknown model char_npc

[particles] Failed to parse examples.prt: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required "particle", found "material"

[particles] Failed to parse weapons.prt: DefTokeniser: Assertion failed: Required "particle", found "material"

Cannot register statement Example, this statement is already registered.

Cannot register statement SelectAllModelsOfType, this statement is already registered.

[soundManager]: SoundShader with name small_metal_impact already exists.

MainFrame: Activating layout Embedded

ToolbarManager: Instantiating toolbar: texture

OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = none

OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = 32bpp

OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = none

[shaders] ShaderLibrary: definition not found:

init.py executed

EventManager: Shortcuts found in Registry: 338

Thats what the console readout says. Is that in bold letters normal?

Picture:

dmdr.jpg

Edited by Bouregard