The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

If you're starting right now, then to be honest TDM 2.0 should be ready to come out before your FM, or close enough, so you'll be able to test it on TDM 2.0 before you release it. But like Obs said, if you use only TDM assets there won't be a problem, and if you want to use any custom assets you should just package them in your own pk4.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well I got one. I have taken a long break from the project but I was going to submit a good cellar window prop I made a couple months ago. Problem is that my other mod project picked up again and I ran into a dead end where the model wouldn't render in-game.

Not sure why it wont but the thing will appear in the editor fine and dandy but it wont render at all after compiling and running the test map. Thought there might be a quick answer to this one so I decided against making a separate thread over it. Not sure what to look for in the console for errors but I read the log and it didn't look like there were any model related issues. Would help if I knew what to hit for copying the compile log though too so I could post it here.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

Enter

condump blabla

in your console to print the console text to a txt file.

It would be also of great help if you could upload an example pk4 where the model is used.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Wait, you say the pk4 where it was used... U'm I wasn't informed it was supposed to be in one. I didn't know if that was an engine requirement, I just thought it was a convenient way to ship assets in a smaller file size.

Would have helped had I tackled this a couple months back when all this was fresh in my memory.

Everything that is custom must go in the pk4. So if you've created a model you have to put the models folder with the specific file into the pk4, too. Same for textures, scripts etc...

The map file is just refering to the model, it's not storing it.

Makes sense. I'm used to working more with Source where if you have the model compiled and working in the editor that it will work the same way in the engine.

That does take one other bit into account and that would be, is compressing stuff into a pk4 as easy as renaming a zip file or do I need a tool for that?

Does anyone know how to do the following with an AI character

1) Make them lay on a bed

2) Is it possible to make one lay normally and a different one lay in maybe a fetal position? I don't know how hard that might be

3) Make an AI silent, so you don't hear them sneezing etc (I want to use my own sounds to make them speak and thats it)

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by TylerVocal

check the wiki for 'sleeping AI.'

There is no fetal position possibility as there is no such animation.

check the ai spawnargs. def_vocal_set IIRC. Set it to mute. Then AI will be silent. you could create your own vocal set for the ai and point the def_vocal_set to that.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I love TDM! Thank you to everyone who has contributed. I want to contribute too. I want to make a horror FM for Halloween.

In my FM I have a room with a bunch of unlit torches. Once the torches are lit via fire arrows I want a key to teleport into the room. I have the key in a blue room and an atdm:teleport in the location I want the key to appear in. How do I get the atdm:teleport to teleport the key once all the torches have been lit?

Thank You!

Hey DollFace,

There are probably a couple ways to do this, the first thing that comes to my head is as follows:

1) make a "trigger_count" entity, and set the "count' spawnarg to equal the number of torches. Then target the trigger_count to your atdm: teleport. Once the trigger_count has been triggered enough times, it should then trigger the teleporter.

2) next make a set of "trigger_relay" entities equal to your torches and set the "wait" spawnarg to -1 (this makes sure that the trigger will only activate once per torch, you could also use trigger_once entities instead). Target these to the trigger_count.

3) how you want to to count whether a torch has been lit depends on how comfortable you are with stim/response. If you want to use stim/response, then select a torch and add a "fire" response. For that response, select the option to trigger another entity, and then use that to trigger one of the trigger_relays. Do this for each torch.

What this will then do is that when you fire up the torch, it will target the trigger_relay which will target the trigger_count. Do this for all the torches, and your teleport should trigger. Because each trigger_relay can only be activated once (due to the 'wait' spawnarg being at -1), you won't have the problem of a player just targeting a single torch multiple times.

The only "hitch" to this setup is that someone could light a torch, and then use a water arrow to douse it, and the key would still teleport in, so you would need to set the "extinguishable" spawnarg on the torches to zero, just to be safe (and maybe put in a readable about fires that never quench or something :-P). Also, the player could be colossally foolish and run out of fire arrows, leaving him stuck. If you wanted to avoid that, maybe have the torches turn on by frobbing them (also by using stim/response) instead of by hitting them with fire arrows.

Hope this helps :-).

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

This does not take into account that the player may extinguishes the torches.

I'll post an example map tomorrow. :smile:

@dollface: dollface.zip.txt

Also, the player could be colossally foolish and run out of fire arrows, leaving him stuck.

Silly me I did not think of this. I have another idea which would be more simple and just as effective.

Instead of torches i have switchable lights. Once they are turned on by a switch the key appears. I could just target the atdm:teleport via the switch and have they key teleport in to the room.

Or give the player a candle? Or a slow match?

Yep. There are other ways to light torches then just fire arrows. You could for example place a campfire nearby and some moveable extinguished torches. The player can then light such a torch with the campfire and use it to light the torches.

An alternative way is to give the player the neccessary amount of fire arrows together with the hint pointing to the *torch puzzle*. This way the player knows that he'll need the arrows and will not waste them. It was done this way in Thief1 IIRC and I've done it that way in my last FM.

I know even basic objectives can be tricky, but my build works in just unpredictable way. I use objectives editor and I don't know if it is maybe buggy? Objectives are switched wrong, they refuse to work when I apply change in unrelated place, when I have multiple similar objectives some work and some skip to next obj... I extracted whole chain of entities if someone want to take a look.

S2wtMNl.gif

PM me a link and I'll take a look.