The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

@ Obstorte: I cant get the map to work. When I load the map there's just a bunch of unlit torches and nothing else. When I open DR I can see a fire and water arrow. Have I put put the script file in the wrong folder? I put it in the Map folder with the map as well.

That's the correct place. The arrows should be in your inventory and the torches should be unlit. Fire fire arrows at them to lit them. Once all four torches burn, the key will appear.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'm crossposting this problem on pathing I reported elsewhere (in fixing my FM Patently Dangerous for 2.0) so more people can see it and help out. It's not specifically a 2.0 problem, just a general problem that also exists in v1.8, so anyone could help out.

Edit: Grayman answered this in the other thread. I needed to lower the path_corner so it was on the ground and not hovering up in the air. And that worked.

I have a break-down with the path nodes I can't figure out. An AI is only going to one path_node (the wrong one in sequence at that) & stopping, not going on to the others, so the "target" series isn't working properly. (Edit: This is the source of OldJim's report in this post, BTW.) This is pretty seriously gameplay compromising; so I hope I can fix it.

I suspect it may have worked when I originally released this and gotten broken later (or I would have noticed it, since it's such an obvious break-down), but it's been so long I can't confirm that. All the other AI paths work fine, & this is visually like the others, so I don't seen the problem off hand. Does someone know a typical reason this problem happens, a change in the game since 1.0 that might have introduced it, or can someone just look at the map & help me out? (it's on the FTP, but the bug is also in the original version too. So you can see the problem in-game or in DR for any version. But obviously it's the FTP version that should get the fix.)

So here's the full description. I have an AI named Ugarte (nearby the tunnel entrance, 2nd in line to it).

The target sequence for the paths goes as follows --

Ugarte: path_corner_21 (by Harlan's house)

path_corner_21: path_wait_9

path_wait_9: path_corner_20 (in the tunnel)

path_corner_20: path_wait_10

path_wait_10: path_corner 21

And the cycle starts over.

The actual behavior is as follows --

Ugarte walks to path_corner_20 (in the tunnel)

Ugarte stops & stays standing in the tunnel for the rest of the game (at either path_corner_20 or path_wait_10, or for all I know keeps cycling through but never actually walking to path_corner_21)

How do I get ugarte to go properly to path_corner_21 (towards Harlan's house) like he's supposed to, and continue on the path sequence correctly? Is there something wrong with path_corner_21 or the path to it, for instance?

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

This is probably a question for Springheel, but if anyone else knows feel free to jump in: on the "Eric" head there is a patch of hair at the base of the neck. I'm making a custom skin and need to get rid of it but can't find the right shader name to replace. What's the name of that shader?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Not off hand, but if you open the eric md5mesh file, it will be the shader that has "scientist" in it.

I'm running into a situation where my fm will freeze up soon after I enter a specific area on the map, and I'll need to use the the task manager to force D3 to close. I'm not sure where to even begin to debug this issue...I know there is a log file which might help but if it's the one in the darkmod folder titled "Darkmod.log", then there's nothing in there that's useful.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

Are you using 1.08 or 2.0?

I'm seeing this in a few fms using 2.0, and the only time I remember it happening in 1.08 was in Dragon's Claw (I think) when the renderer was asked to suddenly render a very large area (a lot of portals opened up in the same frame).

Could be an internal leak causing large sections of the map to suddenly become visible.

Thanks Kvorning, that's exactly what it was :-). I copy/pasted that part of the map into its own file and still got the crash. When I deleted all my visportals, the crash went away. The weird thing was that if I deleted only enough visportals to remove one leaf I still got occasional extreme slowdowns (especially if I mantled through a visportal), but if I deleted more then I had no issues at all.

If any Darkradiant gurus want a look for future DR improvement let me know and I can mail them the map segment.

-Sun Myung Moon

Could someone test something for me? I think I have discovered an error with the spiked fence models. I get a crash when using these models in a mission, and I would like to see if other people can reproduce the problem:

models/darkmod/architecture/fencing/fence_spike_01_tall_1_segments.ase

models/darkmod/architecture/fencing/fence_spike_01_tall.ase

post-2023-0-65076200-1371158808_thumb.jpg

If yes, I will file a bug report.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

This is the third reported problem with the new fencing. One problem was already fixed, but I found a second one a week ago. This will be the third.

Please file the bug report.

Baddcog, the creator, is not responding to a PM.

Just a quick newbie question I should be adding Visportals to pretty much every door and room right? (including crawl spaces)

I mean I assume it wont hurt to have more than less

As visportals are not only used for rendering but also for sound propagation, yes, you should use them on every part that connects two *rooms* with each other, as the doorways or crawls spaces you've mentioned.

• Like 1

I'd like to modify a vocal set to stop a specific audio file from being played (to be precise the "sniff" sound from the werewolf vocal set). Now, I know that the werewolf vocal set is going to be redone in TDM 2.0, so I can't just make a custom vocal set. My initial plan was to override that part of the vocal set via a spawnarg. The "sniff" sound is tagged in the vocal set to be played for "snd_alert1", so I put in a spawnarg redirecting "snd_alert1" to another sound. This didn't work. Does anyone have a way to do this?

-Sun Myung Moon

The sound shader used by the werebeast can be found in tdm_sound_vocals_decls01.pk4. Create a copy and change the werebeast_sniff part to suit it to your needs. (I guess the simplest way would be to remove the sounds listed in that definition, but I don't know if this causes problems. You may have to add the nosound file there.)

shader def

// grayman - #2341 - 'no_dups' commented out in favor of TDM handling no_dups

monster_werebeast_sniff {

minDistance    1
   maxDistance    20
   volume        0
   // no_dups

sound/ed/imp/alert_test32.wav
   sound/ed/imp/alert_test33.wav
   sound/ed/imp/alert_test34.wav
   sound/ed/imp/alert_test39.wav
}

monster_werebeast_idle {

minDistance    1
   maxDistance    30
   volume        0
   // no_dups

sound/voices/monster/werebeast/were_chatter1.ogg
   sound/voices/monster/werebeast/were_chatter2.ogg
   sound/voices/monster/werebeast/were_chatter3.ogg
   sound/voices/monster/werebeast/were_chatter4.ogg
   sound/voices/monster/werebeast/were_idle5.ogg

sound/ed/cyberdemon/chatter1.wav
   sound/ed/cyberdemon/chatter2.wav
   sound/ed/cyberdemon/chatter3.wav
   sound/ed/cyberdemon/chatter4.wav
}

monster_werebeast_alert_idle {

minDistance    1
   maxDistance    30

sound/ed/pinky3/idle_test1.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/idle_test2.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/idle_test3.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/idle_test4.wav    
}

monster_werebeast_sight {

minDistance    5
   maxDistance    35

sound/ed/pinky3/sight3_test1.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/sight3_test2.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/sight3_test3.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/sight3_test4.wav

sound/ed/pinky3/sight_test21.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/sight_test22.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/sight_test23.wav
}

monster_werebeast_meleeattack {
   minDistance    1
   maxDistance    30
   volume            0
   // no_dups

sound/voices/monster/werebeast/were_melee1.ogg
   sound/voices/monster/werebeast/were_melee2.ogg
   sound/voices/monster/werebeast/were_melee3.ogg
   sound/voices/monster/werebeast/were_melee4.ogg
}

monster_werebeast_pain {

minDistance    1
   maxDistance    30
   volume        3
   unclamped
   // no_dups

sound/ed/pinky/pain_test1.wav
   sound/ed/pinky/pain_test2.wav
   sound/ed/pinky/pain_test3.wav
   sound/ed/pinky/pain_test4.wav
   sound/ed/pinky/pain_test5.wav
   sound/ed/pinky/pain_test6.wav
   sound/ed/pinky/pain_test7.wav
}

monster_werebeast_die {

minDistance    1
   maxDistance    30
   volume        4
   unclamped

sound/ed/pinky3/death_test1.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/death_test2.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/death_test3.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/death_test4.wav
   sound/ed/pinky3/death_test5.wav
}

change

minDistance    1
   maxDistance    20
   volume        0
   // no_dups

sound/ed/imp/alert_test32.wav
   sound/ed/imp/alert_test33.wav
   sound/ed/imp/alert_test34.wav
   sound/ed/imp/alert_test39.wav
}

to

minDistance    1
   maxDistance    20
   volume        0
   // no_dups

sound/ambient/ambience/silence.ogg
}

Hope that works.

Thanks,

So if I just put a shader of the same name in my sound folder it will overwrite the one in the default pk4 files? Will this still work with v2.0?

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

It should. But you should ename it and tell the ai to use the new one. So I guess you have to create your own vocal_set.

:-(, see that's the problem. The werewolf vocal set defines the sound shaders being used and is going to have to be gutted for standalone because it includes a lot of Doom 3 sounds, so I can't just create a separate vocal_set and still be compatible with 2.0 (I think).

One idea I had...If I look at the zombie AI it looks like they don't have a vocal set, just a series of spawnargs...is this a possibility, that I can just set up the vocalizations on the AI via spawnargs instead of a vocal set? Because the spawnargs point towards the sound shader directly (and not the definitions) then it should still be compatible when the sound shaders are redefined in 2.0?

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

If you want your mission to be compatible with 2.0, I'd stay away from the werebeast entirely.

Hey Guy`s

Can someone please point me in the right direction to make an ai sleep in a bed?

I cant find an argument in the entity properties, am i way off?

Thanx in advance:)

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

There's a wiki page on it.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Sleeping_AI

For general topics like that, the wiki should be the first place you look, then a search on the forums.

Good luck.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.