The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Does anyone know a good way to have an AI unlock a door he is not actually going to pass through?

I mean, AI normally unlock doors when they open them when their path takes them through the door. But what about when they are to open the door/drawer/cabinet etc, using an path_interact, instead of passing through it? Works great when the door entity is not locked. But an AI with a key and 'can_unlock' etc, only frobs a locked door.

Does this call for an S/R setup between the specific AI and the locked door so it auto-unlocks for that one AI before they interact with it?

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

deleteme

Edited by Goldwell

@Goldwell: Regarding the multistate_mover, it is normally used for elevators. Check the elevator prefab and ignore anything that has to do with aas right now. If you have problems, I can, as always, provide an example map.

@Pranqster: If the path_interact dion't work, check the frob_action_script. By default it is frobDoor, which will simple activate the door. However, those methods get passed the activator IIRC, so you could write an own script that let the door behave different if frobed by an ai, thus meaning it will always unlock itself if frobbed by an ai.

Another approach would be to let the ai interact with a hidden button, which targets a target_callscriptfunction which calls a script that unlocks and opens the door.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yeah, it seems to me that a custom script might be better for what you're describing since it'll cut down on the trial and error. Or just look for a simpler way to do the same thing. Most players won't notice the difference if the result is the same.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

A while ago someone has asked how to make unconscious/dead ai non-frobable. Well, I just stumbled over these spawnargs:

set_frobable_on_death and set_frobable_on_knockout

I've never noticed them before so I guess they are new to 2.0.

A little question: I have a material were I only blend add an image, so the texture is translucent (but this keyword does not appear in the mtr). However, while the object taking this texture is solid to the player it is not to projectiles. Is there a way to bypass this?

Solved.

I'm trying to modify my FM's briefing (button, not timed). What I'd like to do is to have the image appear and then 2 seconds later have the text appear. I don't know enough code to know what to do, but I'm pretty sure that it has to be possible. Here's the current code:

onAction {

set "BriefingText2::visible" "1";

transition "BriefingText2::forecolor" "1 1 1 0" "1 1 1 1" "10000";

set "NextButton2::visible" "1";

set "PrevButton1::visible" "1";

set "BriefingText1::visible" "0";

set "NextButton1::visible" "0";

set "BriefingMovingPicture1::visible" "0";

transition "BriefingMovingPicture2::matcolor" "1 1 1 0" "1 1 1 .9" "4000";

transition "BriefingMovingPicture2::rect" "0 0 704 528" "0 0 640 480" "15000";

set "BriefingMovingPicture2::visible" "1";

}

This runs "on action" (i.e. when you hit the button). Is there a way to have a delay before the text becomes visible? By looking at Grayman's WS1 briefing I know it's possible to trigger things at a specific time with a "onTime" function, but I don't think it will work embedded into an onAction fuction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

Sorry, another question, this time about debriefing videos:

Right now the debrief video plays right after the mission ends, before the "mission complete" screen. Is there a way to swap this order, so that the "mission complete" screen shows and then the video plays after you hit "Continue"?

Thanks.

-Sun Myung Moon

I think there must be a file handling the order, but I'm not sure. I guess you'll have to search the pk4's for something like that. Maybe in the guis.

I have a gui were the player has a cursor. Is there any way to get the mouse position inside the gui without dividing the gui into tons of little squares?

I'm looking for a way to either trigger a speaker, or remove it from the game, when a particular/nearby AI is KO'd.

I tried setting up an S/R with a couple entities, but wasn't sure how to set them up properly.

Basically, a sound is playing while an AI is conscious and unharmed. If the AI is harmed/KO'd I want the speaker to be silenced.

I have a stool (AI sits on) with a TRIGGER response set to trigger 'speaker_2'. It is targeted by a beer mug. How do I set up the stim on the mug to have the stool trigger the speaker when a certain AI is knocked out?

You could use objectives for that. I did it in KM, the sensless chatter of the leaving nobles. You could check out how it was put together. I think it used "AI alerted" "AI KOd or killed" objectives. if either were fulfilled, the chatter speaker was removed.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Is there any way to limit how much of any certain inventory item can be carried by the player at one time?

I'm thinking of setting up a shop or armory in some yet-to-be planned mission. The armory will not be limited on supplies, but the player could only pick up a few items at any given time. For instance, limit the amount of water arrows the player can have in inventory to something like 3 or 5, but have a couple dozen of them at the armory. Then the player would/could need to return to the armory throughout the mission to stock up.

Is this even possible?

In a word... money. The startup shop seems to work okay that way. Trade loot for weapons. That will also add a new dynamic to loot gathering especially if there is a non-optional loot objective. The player will have balance his hopes of gathering enough loot against the immediate gain of some water and rope to get into a mansion.

• Like 1

Is there any way to limit how much of any certain inventory item can be carried by the player at one time?

I'm thinking of setting up a shop or armory in some yet-to-be planned mission. The armory will not be limited on supplies, but the player could only pick up a few items at any given time. For instance, limit the amount of water arrows the player can have in inventory to something like 3 or 5, but have a couple dozen of them at the armory. Then the player would/could need to return to the armory throughout the mission to stock up.

Is this even possible?

I will extend my in-game shop script this evening, so it adds this feature. Will post here again once I'm finished.

• Like 1

So I updated to TDM standalone and decided to delete the Doom3 folder and then that broke Dark Radiant. I seemed to have fixed the textures being missing problem by updating the path in the settings but I just wanted to make sure that I have done the right thing.

My game folder was originally "C:/Games/Doom 3/Darkmod" however I moved the Darkmod folder upto the games folder and deleted Doom 3 so now my settings in DarkRadiant are

Select a Game - Doom 3

Engine Path - C:/Games/

Mod (fs_game) - darkmod/

Mod Base (fs_game_base, optional) - [i left this blank]

Are those settings ok? or do I need to change something else to avoid problems down the track?

Thanks!

This looks good. If all the textures, models, entities etc... are showing properly, you can keep that.

This looks good. If all the textures, models, entities etc... are showing properly, you can keep that.

Cool! Thanks :)

A brief question. Is there anything I need to know about editing under 2.0 that's different from previous versions?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A brief question. Is there anything I need to know about editing under 2.0 that's different from previous versions?

It's probable that new AI features (better hearing, looking at opening doors, etc.) might cause you to design differently.

Also, sound occlusion to AI and the player has changed for the better, so there are considerations in that area. (wiki page)

And you can have a following skybox in 2.00.

There are probably a lot of other things that are new that I can't remember.

Is there anything I need to know about editing under 2.0 that's different from previous versions?

Getting DR to recognize your path requires changing some settings, and there is a LOT more flexibility now in how you channel sound through portals. But editing is still basically the same.

Getting DR to recognize your path requires changing some settings ...

Oh, yeah, forgot about that part, since it has nothing to do with 2.00.

Using the latest version of DR, my preferences->Game settings are:

Game: Doom 3

Engine Path: C:/

Mod (fs_game): C:/darkmod

Mod_base (fs_game_base, optional): C:/TDM/Missions/steele/ws3_cleighmoor

DR is able to understand full pathnames now, so you can place your TDM folder (Mod) and working mission directory (Mod_base) anywhere.