The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

The clip brushes inside footlockers and cupboards is probably not monster clip but plain clip. It is a special func to set make the contents frobable/not frobable depending on whether the door/lid is open or closed (so you can't frob right through the wall of the locker.) It's not a solid brush in this state. There are several types of clip material - monster only stops AI but there are clips to stop moveables and clips to stop the player, etc. So, if you see 'red', check what's on the surface to see what sort of clip it is and also check if it is worldspawn because there are special funcs that use clip for other purposes (eg, testing end of mission space.

In addition aas areas are axis-aligned boxes. So you don't have to use such "curved" brushes. Simple quads will do the work. You can also be a bit sloppy when placing them, as it does no harm if they overlap each other.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

great visual example

Could a summary of these monster clip responses be added to the wiki, with these great pics as examples please, so the info doesn't get lost, buried in this thread? (I'd request permission and do it myself, but is there anyone else who can grant wiki accounts, my PM from a week ago remains unanswered as of yet.)

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

They are defined for ai_darkmod_base. To use them, you have to refer to your ai as "ai" in the script, like:

ai ruediger=$ai_guard;
ruediger.PlayAnimationOnce(...);

No, it does not work. It says "unknown value" for the command PlayAnimationOnce

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Then you would have to write your own script object to access the function I guess.

If you don't want the player to interrupt the cutscene, why don't you just use a camera?

Then you would have to write your own script object to access the function I guess.

Sadly, that goes above my recorded level of scripting expertise.

If you don't want the player to interrupt the cutscene, why don't you just use a camera?

Ultimately, it is not about a cutscene. It is about a general universal animation calling for any AI:

1) any AI does whatever they are doing.

2) Script command tells AI to play an animation.

3) The AI stops doing whatever they are doing and plays the animation.

4) AI continues to do whatever they did previously.

This can be already done with the conversation system, and it works, but it has a serious downside: you must have a conversation set up for each and every AI who is gonna play the animation, and you must trigger the conversation. With the script animation call, it would be just about AI.playAnim(anim_name);. It would enable a nice amount of AI control via script. If it was simple to do, it would be a valuable addition. If it was difficult to implement, it probably isn't worth the effort. But because we already have the conversation system that somehow makes it possible to control an AI exactly the way one would like, I am inclined to think it isn't the difficult kind.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

delete me please

Edited by Goldwell

How do you stop this from happening with gui notes?

ZtFVfDH.png

In my xdata file I have the following for the file

note1

{

precache

"gui_page1" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_ellianerelle.gui"

"num_pages" : "1"

"page1_title" : "Captain Farley"

"page1_body" : "I know the movements as of late have been slow but Lord Tamric has

Looks like a bug.

I've never used titles in my readables. When no title is present, the body appears to start higher. I presume that was a desired effect because of what I read here.

So, to work around the bug, you could leave the title empty and just put everything in the body.

I took a look at the gui for guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand.gui (just to pick one)

and it includes this:

windowDef title {
	WORLD_SCALE
	rect 37, 35, 220, 390
	forecolor 0, 0, 0, 0 //1st show before fadein. keep at 0,0,0,0
	font "fonts/jd_hand"
	text "<title>"
	textscale 0.4
}

windowDef body {
	WORLD_SCALE
	rect 37,35, 220, 390
	forecolor 0, 0, 0, 0
	font "fonts/jd_hand"
	text "<body>"
	textscale 0.22
}

Both the title and the body are defined to start in the same place, which is an obvious problem.

I suspect that other readable guis suffer from the same problem.

I took a look at the gui for guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand.gui (just to pick one)

and it includes this:

windowDef title {
	WORLD_SCALE
	rect 37, 35, 220, 390
	forecolor 0, 0, 0, 0 //1st show before fadein. keep at 0,0,0,0
	font "fonts/jd_hand"
	text "<title>"
	textscale 0.4
}

windowDef body {
	WORLD_SCALE
	rect 37,35, 220, 390
	forecolor 0, 0, 0, 0
	font "fonts/jd_hand"
	text "<body>"
	textscale 0.22
}

Both the title and the body are defined to start in the same place, which is an obvious problem.

I suspect that other readable guis suffer from the same problem.

I managed to fix the problem.. I guess its classed as a work around but hey if someone else has this issue and is searching this thread hopefully this helps them.. So I basically added a space and a new line to the body which corrected the problem I was having so it looks like this in the xdata. I have bolded the important part

note1

{

precache

"gui_page1" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_ellianerelle.gui"

"num_pages" : "1"

"page1_title" : "Captain Farley"

"page1_body" : " \n\n" \

"I know the movements as of late have been slow but Lord Tamric has

It then turns into the following ingame

erLyEJT.png

Since I was just reading up on Readables/doing them last week I happen to remember from the wiki Readable Editor page...

Is the Preview broken? My Title overlaps with my Body!

No, it's not, the preview is very precise. The GUIs for readables have intentionally been laid out like this to allow the writing of continuous texts without titles. You just have to add some line-breaks to your body until it looks right.

It would look odd if the body text didn't start at the top of pages that continue on from previous.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Is it possible to remove the reflection in the texture "textures/darkmod/glass/clear" like just have glass that is completely clear?

There's nothing wrong with the xdata stuff. Sotha is right. Just space out using the Enter key in the editor. There should be something on the wiki somewhere. When I created these standard readables guis I made it so you could have two font sizes for anything rather than just a title and body (though they are still named title and body.) So you can put subheadings in further down the page too in large font. Or have everything in large font. Whatever you want. Both fonts fill* the entire page whereas originally readable guis defined the title in a small space only at the top. So, yeah, just linefeed down to avoid overlaps.

Doing it manually in the xdata as I recall there are two ways. The way I use is to put each paragraph in its own quotes so to insert a blank line you literally put in a blank "" on a line on its own. I think that's how the editor generates it too. On the wiki you might find some earlier articles where an end symbol (probably same as C) is used to mark end of line but I'm rusty now so I can't recall exactly. I always thought that was less intuitive to use.

[edit] * By 'fill' I mean the space allotted to both fonts is the entire page so you can type anywhere on any page by spacing along or spacing down.

Is it possible to remove the reflection in the texture "textures/darkmod/glass/clear" like just have glass that is completely clear?

Yes remove the specular line in the material file. The glass will still distort though.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

There's nothing wrong with the xdata stuff.

Well, there ya go. Something that looks like a bug isn't a bug.

The Readable Editor wiki page even describes this situation:

"The GUIs for readables have intentionally been laid out like this to allow the writing of continuous texts without titles. You just have to add some line-breaks to your body until it looks right. And since we are talking about presumably faulty previews here, please also note that some titles of GUIs do not support multiple lines, resulting in some parts of your title not being rendered."

• Like 1

Is there any simple way to create sloped, triangular rooftops? First, I drawn a flat brush, angled it, cloned and mirrored, then positioned them against each other. It looked well except of Z-fighting where they met, so I tried to use CSG Substract. The result was an orgy of degenerated shapes and microbrushes, to the point where I decided it would be easier to restore the earlier version of the map. I tried cutting them, but it turned out to be a very arduous task - rotated brushes don't align even with the smallest grid too nicely, so it's near impossible to cut them properly. I also tried to create caps first, which was quite easy - but positioning the brushes on them turned out to be a problem in itself.

Create a brush and cut everything away that does not look like a roof.

I'm not sure I understand the exact problem, Gantolandon, but it sounds like you're trying to edit brushes on a rotated building? If so then read on, but if not then clarification would be welcome :)

Free rotation in DR makes brushes difficult to edit and tends to create weird geometry errors. It's a million times easier to build things on the orthogonal axes (brushes lined up with the grid, in other words), so I would recommend constructing your building separately and on the grid first and then rotating it into position when it's ready. Make sure you build a rough size and shape approximation of the rotated building beforehand to ensure it fits how you like, because it's hard to gauge in advance exactly how something will fit when rotated. I would also keep the orthogonally-built copy somewhere in the map file so you can easily perform any future updates, then rotate it back into place again when needed.

Is there a place where we can find a list of all the files that match upto the .pk's in the darkmod directory?

I'm trying to find the particle folder for example but I have been going through all of them and cannot find it. It says the file I am after is in textures/particles/drop2 but that directory doesn't exist so I assume it unpacks that texture somewhere when you run the game or has a reference point or something

Check one of the texture...pk4's.

Check one of the texture...pk4's.

Well that was of course my first action however I checked them all and could not find that file.. but it doesn't matter I found a different solution.

I'm more so interested if there is a faster way of finding specific files rather than sifting through the pl4's say if we wanted to modify them and include that copy with a map. If there isn't well yeah whatever but maybe someone here had a more efficient way :)

I'm not sure I understand the exact problem, Gantolandon, but it sounds like you're trying to edit brushes on a rotated building? If so then read on, but if not then clarification would be welcome :)

Free rotation in DR makes brushes difficult to edit and tends to create weird geometry errors. It's a million times easier to build things on the orthogonal axes (brushes lined up with the grid, in other words), so I would recommend constructing your building separately and on the grid first and then rotating it into position when it's ready. Make sure you build a rough size and shape approximation of the rotated building beforehand to ensure it fits how you like, because it's hard to gauge in advance exactly how something will fit when rotated. I would also keep the orthogonally-built copy somewhere in the map file so you can easily perform any future updates, then rotate it back into place again when needed.

No, the building was orthogonal. I just tried to create a sloped roof from two triangular walls and two flat brushes representing the roof itself - and failed miserably. Fortunately, I don't need an attic anyway, so I could just slap a cube there and cut its upper edges to get the same effect. But I saw fan missions with houses which managed to have an attic inside a triangular roof ("Knighton Manor" for example), so I was curious if there is a simple way to build those.