The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Also is there a way to get an AI to speak something without using the conversation system?

You could handle it from a script using this line:

$<AI_Name>.playAndLipSync("<sound_shader>","talk1");

The sound_shader is of the form "snd_*", where "snd_*" is defined in the AI's voice set.

So, if you have a guard named "Bill", and you want him to say something about spotting the player, you'd use:

$Bill.playAndLipSync("snd_to_combat","talk1");

If you are creating a custom bark, you'd need to create a new voice set that inherited a standard set (I assume this can be done), with the custom sound shader added.

If you don't care about lipsync, you could just have him walk through a trigger that recognizes him and targets a speaker that plays the bark.

• Like 1

So I seem to have a problem with objectives although I believe everything is set correctly.. however obviously it is not.

Basically I have 5 objectives, 4 are visible and 1 is not.

At a point in my map 4 objectives are completed then after a period of time the 5th one becomes visible and must be completed.

My problem is though once you complete the 4 objectives that are visible that game just ends saying mission complete.

All objectives are ticked as mandatory.

My problem is though once you complete the 4 objectives that are visible that game just ends saying mission complete.

You'll want to include an enabling objective to either an existing one or a new "wrapper" objective. See "Enabling Objectives" under http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Objectives_Editor#Editing_Objectives

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Only the visible mandatory objectives count toward "being finished".

So the mission ends when the fourth visible objective completes.

I would have to know what you want to happen between the fourth and fifth objectives before I can suggest anything.

Well I tried the enabling objectives thing but it didn't work.

Is there a way to tell TDM that the mission should only be completed if all objectives are completed? say 1-5 need to be completed before the mission completes.

So I seem to have a problem with objectives although I believe everything is set correctly.. however obviously it is not.

Basically I have 5 objectives, 4 are visible and 1 is not.

At a point in my map 4 objectives are completed then after a period of time the 5th one becomes visible and must be completed.

Well I tried the enabling objectives thing but it didn't work.

Is there a way to tell TDM that the mission should only be completed if all objectives are completed? say 1-5 need to be completed before the mission completes.

If the player have to complete objectives 1-4 in order, so that 4 is the last one, make it like this:

Have objective 4 be really controlled by external script (or the objective control entities).

If 4 is, for example "KO a guard," when the guard is KOd, you show objecive 5, wait 1 second, complete objective 4. Mission will not end, because the new objective is added before the last one is completed.

If all the objectives 1-4 can be completed in any order, it gets more difficult.

In principle, you must invent an additional objective, like "Complete all objectives 1-4," or "once you are done, return to where you started," similar. This objective prevents the mission ending and you can add the fifth without problem.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I can't really go into details as it would give away spoilers for my mission which I would like to avoid but basically I need 1-4 to be completed for 30-60 seconds until 5 pops up and if 5 pops up straight away it would look really strange..

Ugh it's just annoying that I cant control when objectives are completed because objective 5 is mandatory so the mission should not complete but it does :/

I can't really go into details as it would give away spoilers for my mission which I would like to avoid but basically I need 1-4 to be completed for 30-60 seconds until 5 pops up and if 5 pops up straight away it would look really strange..

Ugh it's just annoying that I cant control when objectives are completed because objective 5 is mandatory so the mission should not complete but it does :/

If 5 is invisible, it is not counted. You must have a visible mandatory objective, or the mission will end. That is the law of TDM, I'm afraid.

Cannot you invent just some new objective?

If 1-4 must be the only objectives visible there is still one chance:

1) make 1 objective that in a single sentence tells objectives 1-4: "Steal gem, KO bernard, do the shopping list and kick the bucket." Have it to be controlled by external script.

2) Make an invisible non-mandatory objective "Complete objectives 1-4," which has all the objectives 1-4 as COMPONENTS. When all the components have been fulfilled, this objective completes, but it is invisible and player will not know about it. Have this objective run a Completion Script,that i) adds objective 5 and ii) completes objective 1 (the only visible objective that tells to do objectives 1-4)

Clipper

Hm that could be an idea at the end I could just add "Complete all objectives" and that only completes right at the end. I guess its not the best solution but most people probably wouldnt even notice it.

Thanks for the help all! :)

Oh and one last thing I just wanted to make sure I had correct. When doing an objective for collecting say 200 loot would it be setup as follows in the objective editor.

Components Acquire 200 entities

Type: Player possesses item

Flags: none ticked

Item: Overall (component-specific)

Amount: 200

Is that right?

Oh and one last thing I just wanted to make sure I had correct. When doing an objective for collecting say 200 loot would it be setup as follows in the objective editor.

Components Acquire 200 entities

Type: Player possesses item

Flags: none ticked

Item: Overall (component-specific)

Amount: 200

Is that right?

Can't remember, you could check it from any of my missions, though. I think it involved the player "acquiring X entities overall."

Once that is known, I think someone ought to update this wiki entry so that it clearly tells how to set up "acquire loot" objectives. This is just uninformative at present:

http://wiki.thedarkm...t.22_Objectives

Maybe add about comment tdm_show_loot console command,too (dunno if the command was correct here.)

Clipper

Can't remember, you could check it from any of my missions, though. I think it involved the player "acquiring X entities overall."

Once that is known, I think someone ought to update this wiki entry so that it clearly tells how to set up "acquire loot" objectives. This is just uninformative at present:

http://wiki.thedarkm...t.22_Objectives

Maybe add about comment tdm_show_loot console command,too (dunno if the command was correct here.)

And also add what the wiki says about recommended loot levels which last time I read was (of total loot) Easy: 40%. Hard: 55%. Expert: 70%

Is that right?

Yes, that matches both the prefab and A - Z Beginners Guide on the wiki.

And also add what the wiki says about recommended loot levels which last time I read was (of total loot) Easy: 40%. Hard: 55%. Expert: 70%

Wouldn't that depend entirely on how the designer placed loot on the map? I think of it as easy including the obvious loot, hard doesn't include what's not on the beaten path, expert includes the have to seek it out, hidden loot.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

Wouldn't that depend entirely on how the designer placed loot on the map? I think of it as easy including the obvious loot, hard doesn't include what's not on the beaten path, expert includes the have to seek it out, hidden loot.

It's not meant as a golden 100% fool proof thing but rather just as a general rule of thumb

*nods, :-) hence, "recommended", but seems rather arbitrary and not correlating to how hard obtaining loot might be?

Also, now that I think about it, given the wide values of individual loot pieces, percentages of total makes even less sense, you could end up unknowingly trapping players into having to obtain the same high value pieces for all "difficulty" levels, regardless of difficulty.

Well the way i'm currently doing the loot objectives for my map (as thats where i'm at with my mission) is to use the percentages then playthrough and only loot regular loot areas.. so things that I haven't tried hard to hide. With that I can easily gage if I need to lower it or raise and then as the difficulty goes up people will need to find say at least one secret in order to progress.

But i've never released an FM so I don't know exactly what to do yet but the percentages seem fine on paper for me

• Like 1

So I have managed to get a custom moveable object that works/looks and sounds great but my problem is it doesn't highlight. Here are pictures of the two items I have that make the one moveable. Could someone please tell me what i'm missing to make the object highlight when you look at it.

qLoUvjK.png

NF9B1EC.png

Does something else put in place of your custom object highlight set up that way?

I've found it easiest to use something that already has the capabilities I desire, and just use the model spawnarg to make it appear like what I want, "atdm:grabable_custom_item" in this case (also providing a clipmodel for collision). That highlighted for me without having to do anything else, perhaps because the material I used already had a highlight stage?

Another forum thread answering this had this answer for custom textures lacking a highlight stage: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Basic_Material_File#Add_the_Frob_Highlight_Stage

• Like 1

My turn with a query! (I know, I've been able to answer more than I've asked recently.)

I'm trying to replace the walk animation(s) on a female AI.

"replace anim_walk" worked up to a point.

If she is alerted, when she comes off alert, she doesn't return to walking with my replacement anim, but a regular walk anim. Peeking in the pk4 defs for anims, I've tried also replacing:

walk_male

walk_cautious_ready

walk_alerted

But no help, she walks normally after alert. Similarly randomly trying to replace walk1 and walk2 (per wiki anim list) does nothing.

Am I missing something? Is this an issue? Is it past time I learned how to use the bugtracker?

Is she armed? When armed AI come down from an alert, they use a different walk animation (for holding a weapon). It should be walk_alerted. If she has a weapon, it's possible the "replace" command on the weapon is overriding yours. You might need to make a custom weapon entity for her.

• Like 1

Is there a way to create two distinct inventories for the player that can be switched between? I'd like to create one batch of items for the player to use while in one location and another batch while in another location, with the ability to switch between locations at will.

Is that at all possible?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Know scripting? Apparently via scripting you can add, replace or remove items from player's inventory, see: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Inventory#Scriptsupport

Presumably you'd use the location system to fire the scripts as people switch back and forth between your areas to swap out the items.

I don't know scripting so I'd probably need to ask a generous soul :-). What I don't see in the available script functions is a way to keep track of whats in inventory at a given moment. Without that there's no way to know what to add/remove.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

You could set up the inventory sets in a blueroom and target the items in each set from a tracker entity so that scripts can access the list easily. Or you could just hard code the inventory sets in the script.

The script reference provides functions to cycle through the inventory, so you could compile a list of references to the current items and store it for later use. It might show the items scrolling around the HUD though, unless you do something to disable it. Likewise swapping them out would presumably trigger hud messages unless you suppress them.

Question: If the inventory sets include disposables like arrows, would you want the process to keep track of how many are remaining? So if the player starts with 5 broadheads and uses 3 then picks up 1, then swaps out inventory twice, should he have 3 broadheads or a fresh set of 5?

Edited by SteveL