The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTxJ_SRMYaY&feature=youtu.be

Anybody seen this before and/or know what the hell is causing it? I've tried systematically deleting and testing everything around it but it still hangs around. It's not there in the editor, obviously. The missing door and the like are unrelated; I deleted those while trying to find out what was causing it (put them back since).

Edited by Airship Ballet

@Airship

Judging by that video you posted earlier I think that FM might now be cURSEd! I think you may have summoned something! Maybe the FM is being controlled by an evil soul now and soon it will take over your computer and teleport you in to the dark abyss like Flynn but instead of neon light cycles it will be goats with three heads and the like.

...Just sayin...

• Like 1

Anybody seen this before and/or know what the hell is causing it? I've tried systematically deleting and testing everything around it but it still hangs around. It's not there in the editor, obviously. The missing door and the like are unrelated; I deleted those while trying to find out what was causing it (put them back since).

It looks like you have a corrupt brush or patch. It's corrupt enough to make DR not display it, but not corrupt enough to make dmap ignore it.

The only way I can offer to get rid of it would be to bring the *.map file up in an editor, and look for brush faces that use that floor texture. Wherever you find one, see if that brush definition is missing a few other faces. Here's what a good brush definition looks like for a simple brush with 6 faces:

// primitive 1
{
brushDef3
{
( 0 0 1 -64 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 0 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 0 1 0 -776 ) ( ( 0.015625 0 120 ) ( 0 0.015625 0 ) ) "textures/editor/visportal" 0 0 0
( 1 0 0 -64 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 0 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 0 0 -1 -64 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 0 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( 0 -1 0 772 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 0 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
( -1 0 0 0 ) ( ( 0.0625 0 0 ) ( 0 0.0625 0 ) ) "textures/common/nodraw" 0 0 0
}
}

Those 6 lines inside the inner brackets are the faces. You want to find one that fits this pattern:

( 0 0 1 N ) ( ( N N N ) ( N N N ) ) "textures/darkmod/wood/boards/polished_01" 0 0 0

That would be the top of the corrupt brush - what you see when you stand on it. I'm guessing at the texture, but that's what it looks like to me.

For now, w/o changing anything, just see if you have one or more brushes like that. Do any of them have fewer than 6 faces?

Any chance visportals are filtered out in DR? That will also filter anything with a nodraw surface. (You've probably deactivated all filters and verified all layers are shown and unhidden everything though, but you know, starting with the easy stuff/Occam's Razor and all that.)

Outside of those guesses, I'd probably enable drawing the wireframes (r_showtris X, where X is 1-3 depending on how far) in game to see where it extended to, in case funky geometry wasn't telling dmap where a polygon is supposed to end, or something like that.

As Grayman just posted I see... I'd try to find the origin.

Then again, if it can't be selected in DR, you could select everything, export/import to a new map file for a quick fix.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Being one sided and able to be jumped through, smells like a patch to me, try unfiltering patches in DR.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Unfilter everything. Unhide everything. Then find the brush/patch. Delete.

Grayman's suggestion is what you should do next.

You might get away like this:

Unfilter everything. Unhide everything. Zoom out. Select everything. Open new map. Paste. The new map could be free of the offeding geometry.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I've had the issue a couple of times, and this has helped.

Yep that solution also helped me out a couple of times with an black box. Copy/pasting map seems to be the solution for stuff like this.

Thanks everybody, fixed it by just copy/pasting. It didn't remove it but it did make it display in DR so I could do it myself. I'm certain I had brushes and patches unfiltered to no avail (fiddled with each a lot), but once I'd copy/pasted it disappeared and reappeared by fiddling with the patch filter. DR works in mysterious ways.

Why does a func_static'd brush allow the player to move through it once it has been teleported? (using teleport set origin)

Is there a way to stop this?

Perhaps the collision information stays behind, back where it was when dmap created it.

func_statics aren't moveable entities, and they don't think. I wouldn't expect their collision models to follow them around.

That's my guess.

I use teleporting func_static brushes all the time. The trick is that you need to move the worldspawn brush to its final location, and then turn it into a func_static. Once you've turned it into a f_s do not move it again, ever in DR. If you do, you'll run into problems. If you don't then you can teleport it and it will collide just fine.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I use teleporting func_static brushes all the time. The trick is that you need to move the worldspawn brush to its final location, and then turn it into a func_static. Once you've turned it into a f_s do not move it again, ever in DR. If you do, you'll run into problems. If you don't then you can teleport it and it will collide just fine.

If you've placed it in its final location, and don't move it afterward, where are you teleporting it to? Its arrival destination isn't its final location?

Quick scripting question: what's the code that's used to make the GUI of used objects flash green (i.e. when you unlock a door with a key the GUI of the key flashes green if the key is the right key and flashes red if it's the wrong key)?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

check tdm_inv.gui

There are named events which you should be able to call from script

scriptEvent void callGui(float handle, string namedEvent);

Calls a named event in a GUI.

The names are

• onInventoryNegativeFeedback
  • onInventoryPositiveFeedback

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hello, I've got a little problem here. I started the Dark mod the other day and all models in my map were gone. I ran the map in Dark mod and the models show normally. So they have to be just hidden but I dont know how to show them again. Hope someone will help me with that :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can you be more clear on what you mean. I don't understand what is common between light and water reflection or what effect you are actually aiming for.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter