The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Yeah, I thought of that too, but it won't work for the setup I'm using. Basically I have an old, dying man lying in a bed and talking to the player (so he needs to have a body with the sleeping anim, but still be able to talk to the player).

The way I had it set up was to use func_animates for the body and head. That way I can run the sleeping animation on the body and the talking animation on the head. The only problem is that using a trigger to get the talking animation to work on the head doesn't really work (the animation isn't synced, loops poorly, and can't be turned off by re-triggering), so I was hoping to swap the func_animate head out with a real talking head (and just hiding the AI body won't work).

Is there really no way to get an AI head to have a conversation w/out the body?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

If you can hide the body in a nearby wall, and the head doesn't have to move during the conversation, try using this spawnarg: "offsetHeadModel".

It's a vector that's applied to the head to sit it properly on the body.

I used it to make Grimmore's headless ghost in the chapel in In the North.

• Like 1

I don't know how this would work, but have you tried replacing his "idle" animation with the sleeping animation? You'd have to replace the "conversation" ones with sleeping as well so he doesn't teleport to his feet while talking, but theoretically it should work. I think the head would be able to talk normally in the case, since as far as the code is concerned the AI is in normal default state.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a spawnarg to disable the AI noticing when you've pickpocketed them? I have several AI that *must* be pickpocketed and I'm worried that them noticing might be unfair.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

Another quick question: I have a section of my map where I hear intermittent crackling sounds, almost like the sound is crapping out for a milisecond and then going on as normal. I've tried checking around but nothing seems amiss. Has anyone run into this or have any ideas on how to track it down?

-Sun Myung Moon

Is it happening at a location transition where a new ambient comes online? It could be a quirk of the fade-in system, because the Doom3 engine insists that sounds start full-volume, so to fade-in you have to instantly set the volume to zero and fade that back up. I suspect that was the origin of certain ambients popping when they come on line, which happened more often when I first made the system, then I put in what I thought was a check for it (a half second blip of silence at the head), and it doesn't seem as common now, but it's possible that it still happens? If so, it's hard to think of another fix, unless you want to modify the ambient directly to quiet down the start and put that in your pk4 ... if that's even the problem to begin with.

This is my only guess based on what I know directly. It could be something totally different.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm struggling with figuring out how to getting the AI to perform animations properly. I have read several articles on the wiki, but I'm still confused.

What I want to do for now is to have a guard sit down a chair, wait a moment, and then play the 'write' animation.

Can someone kindly assist me with correctly setting up this scene?

I have gotten the AI to sit down, and wait, but then I'm totally lost.

There is a path_anim entity designed for such purposes. Link it to the ai path and link to the path_wait from there. Set the anim you want to be played on the path_anim.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Depends on what you want to achieve. There is writing _behaviour_ and there is the writing animation. They're somewhat different. Writing behaviour occurs when you def_attach a specific prop quill to an AI. The quill will override his regular sitting behaviour and instead play writing animations, and will stop if he gets alerted.

You can use a path_anim to play the writing animation (never tried path_anims for sitting AI myself), but then you would have to def_attach a quill separately, if you wanted one, and it would only play once.

@Springheel

What I want to achieve in the end is that there will be two AIs in the scene. The player reaches a trigger and then the two AIs initiate their conversation. The one AI (A) is talking and the other AI ('B') is writing down what the former is saying, while also speaking. A is initially sitting down (but stands up and walks over to B during the conversation), while B is sitting down throughout this scene.

How should I go about achieving this?

Edited by Dunedain19

Huh, that's a tricky one. I assume you'd have to use the conversation system to time it properly. If you just use the prop-quill, there's no way to control exactly when and how frequently he writes. Maybe you could use the conversation system to play each writing animation when you need it.

Okay, thanks for the advice - I'll start reading up on how the conversation system works now.

EDIT:

So I have been playing around with the Conversation Editor for the last hour-and-a-half. I have managed to get a small scene working; however, my main frustration has been the apparent need to constantly exit the Conversation Editor whenever I need to add either a s_shader or track down an animation. I know DR 2.03 is in pre-release at present, so hopefully this issue can be resolved in a subsequent version. Ideally, the mapper should be able to access everything he/she needs for the scene from within the Editor, instead of having to input everything manually after hunting through several drop-down menus after exiting the Editor.

@Springheel

I have tried attaching the prop_quill.lwo to AI 'B' using the def_attach spawnarg; however, TDM is preventing the map from loading for some reason - something about spawning in the item in question (I think...).

Posts Combined:

Having just fiddled with AI 'B's position in order to make the writing animation [without quill] appear as accurate as possible, I've encountered an issue that I need help resolving. Once the conversation is complete, if 'B' is alerted, he gets stuck in the desk and cannot "escape". I have placed him on a stool - is there some way that I can script him to rotate 90' clockwise first, and only then stand up?

Edited by Dunedain19

is there some way that I can script him to rotate 90' clockwise first, and only then stand up?

Yes, there is an "angle" spawnarg you can use. I don't remember the exact syntax, but the wiki might have it under sitting.

Thanks, SteveL. I found that wiki earlier this morning and I've been tinkering with the spawnargs. I would like to expand that wiki based on my experience with setting things up correctly, how do I go about this?

@Springheel, I've combined my above two posts (always hated double posting, old habits die hard) - I have asked a question there, please can you look at it when you've got a chance.

Another quick query I have is: how do I rename AI so that when their body/corpse is shouldered, it displays the character name and not just "Body" and "Corpse"? I renamed the actual AI entity (for conversation purposes) but it doesn't seem to have had any effect on the issue?

Edited by Dunedain19

Hey Dunedain19, there's are spawnargs called "shouldered_name" and "shouldered_name_dead". Just name those and that's what will show up when you pick up a dead or unconscious AI.

-Sun Myung Moon

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I thought I'd ask anyways. I have a locked door that takes bit of time to pick. I also have an AI who goes through this particular door. If I get half-way through picking the door, and the AI passes through it, he relocks the door on the other side and all my lockpick progress is gone. This means that in order to pick the door, I have to do so fully before the AI passes through, otherwise all my lockpick progress is reset when the AI relocks the door.

Is there any way to preserve the lockpick progress until it's fully picked even if the AI is relocking the door as he passes through it? I'm guessing not, but wanted to check.

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

If the picked-states are saved somewhere you can get in a script, then you can make a script that triggers when the door is opened or closed or whenever (or even put a AI trigger brush if you have to) that resets the state directly (i.e., triggered before the time of the change to save the state, then lasting until after the change so it can reset it).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.