The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I could swear I've seen it with different textures, but you're right, there's nothing in DR.

Probably wouldn't be hard to make your own though, just replace models/darkmod/props/textures/chest with one of the rough_wood_x textures.

I have two new questions, both important if I'm to get my mission near completion anytime soon.

First is about a bug I'm getting; I set up my ambient lights and music exactly as described in this article. Although ambient lighting seems to respect map areas for the most part, the light gets brighter and darker whenever I walk through any portal, including portals not marked as a different location. Why would the ambient light change between portals NOT marked with an info_locationseparator entity, and how do I change that? And yes, I do have an ambient light textured with lights/ambientlightnfo and named ambient_world covering the entire level.

Second issue is more simple; How do I make an atdm:froblock and atdm:mover_button only work once? So after they've been pushed, they stop being frobable and doing anything again.

The ambient light changes might have something to do with http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Dynamic_ambient_light

The simplest way to make a single entity unfrobable is probably via a 'Set Frobable' Response effect. Failing that, an atdm:target_set_frobable brush entity should work just as it does for chests, etc.

• Like 1

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Although ambient lighting seems to respect map areas for the most part, the light gets brighter and darker whenever I walk through any portal, including portals not marked as a different location.

I've no mapping experience so I don't know whether this is a common problem, but if you can isolate the bad behaviour in a small test map I'll take a look.

The only time ambient light transitions in this manner is at a visportal with a location separator on it. Since these transitions can be jarring depending on how many candles or torches or electric/gas lights are in the new location, some mappers put

"ambient_light_dynamic" "0 0 0"

on their info_loc entities, to deactivate the dynamic portion of an ambient light change.

Something worth testing is to add that spawnarg to the info_loc entities involved and see if the jarring light change goes away.

That having been said, the transition takes a bit of time, so it's possible that what you're seeing is a legitimate transition that's still going on as you cross a visportal w/o a separator.

There's no code that runs on visportals on their own; only when they're touching other entities like doors and separators and the other entities that turn portals on and off based on distance from the player.

• Like 1

Something else that might be happening is that the dynamic ambient light might be changing based on what's in the player's PVS. Perhaps you're picking up new lights as your PVS changes, and the dynamic light is changing even though you're nowhere near a visportal/separator combo. The spawnarg noted above should take care of that problem, if that's what's going on.

I have been experiencing this bug for a while now. Some of the textures in my mission have turned into a weird black colour, as if only the specularmap was visible. I am at odds about what is causing it. Any idea?

textures_bug_zpsxh9wr4xb.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Sounds like http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4110and friends if it isn't custom.

Yes, that seems to be my problem. :blink: The bug affects two stock textures, textures/darkmod/stone/sculpted/grey_block_trim and textures/darkmod/window/metal_diamond_pattern3_selflit. However, only the first has its creation date set to 2088, according to the bug description.

What an odd thing.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I had the problem of black textures in my oak village map, it was as if a wood texture wasn't being drawn, I just replaced the texture with another wood texture, as I didn't use it in many places, when I looked at the material file and then looked for the texture only the specular texture existed in the files. Cant remember which texture it was, except it was a dark wood board texture of some type.

its this texture, just checked didn't replace them all.

textures/darkmod/wood/boards/rough_wood_darkbrown

Edited by stumpy

Yes, that seems to be my problem. :blink: The bug affects two stock textures, textures/darkmod/stone/sculpted/grey_block_trim and textures/darkmod/window/metal_diamond_pattern3_selflit. However, only the first has its creation date set to 2088, according to the bug description.

What an odd thing.

Not everyone will see the black texture. It can be different on different machines. You get more black textures the more TDM updates you've done without a fresh install, although it does seem to be the same textures that go awry no matter who's looking. People who installed 2.03 from scratch instead of updating should have zero black textures.

taaaki has submitted a fix for 2.04, but we still haven't planned a release date. You could probably package the affected texture with your mission to fix it.

Figures. Don't remember it exactly, but it is possible I have never done a fresh install since 1.0. Or standalone?

Well, theeeere goes my monthly bandwidth.

Figures. Don't remember it exactly, but it is possible I have never done a fresh install since 1.0. Or standalone?

I hope I'm not too late... You should be able to reduce the bandwidth impact by deleting just the texture_<example>.pk4 which contains the offending texture

then running tdm_update.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

No prob, I downloaded it on my work connection, and I'm good. :)

I have the x86 (32 bit) version of both Visual C++ and the latest version of DR installed.

I setup everything as it should be, even followed the advice of not using "TDM 2.0 Standalone" in the settings, but still "Doom 3".

Despite this, no .map files show up in my editor's browse window at all when I try to open them or import them, Despite everything being linked through ".../darkmod/maps".

What am I doing wrong ?

You're not really giving us much to go on.

Are there actual map files in your darkmod/maps folder? Is DR on the same drive as your darkmod folder? Maybe post a screenshot of your game settings?

Both TDM and Dark Radiant are installed on C:, with TDM in a C:/Games/ folder and DR in the C:/Program Files/ folder.

Could the issue be that my "Games/The Dark Mod/darkmod" folder path contains a name with spaces ? Should I rewrite it to "The_Dark_Mod" or something in that vein ?

Screenshot of my current DR settings:

4z943pvukopd4fjzg.jpg

Screenshot of my .map file issue:

8gh3o30346o7ag8zg.jpg

I won't be shocked if the latter is actually not an issue at all. (Oh, the joys of being a newb... :blush:)

• Like 1

Spaces might be a problem.

My darkmod folder is in C:/darkmod, and my settings are :

Engine path: C:

Mod (fs_game) darkmod

I have been experiencing this bug for a while now. Some of the textures in my mission have turned into a weird black colour, as if only the specularmap was visible. I am at odds about what is causing it. Any idea?

Well I had this and it turned out to be either a typo in the material def or a corrupt normal. Before you go nuking your monthlty bandwidth wouold you like me to take a look at it.

Actually, I just pulled down a fresh install through my work connection. :ph34r:

I had a question, related to both DarkRadiant and the engine: Is pk4dir supported? Some idTech based engines let you create a directory named whatever.pk4dir, which works the same was a zip archive called whatever.pk4. This would be very helpful for maps and other mods in progress, which I currently have to symlink from my test mission in darkmod/fms/.