The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

This is a specific command to do it even without the debug version, but I can never remember it myself.

Isn't there a console command or some way to get a single line of "r_showprimitives 1" to print across the very top of the screen without the console itself being open? I'm looking for a way to walk around with debug info like you can in Dark Engine/New Dark, and I could have sworn this feature is in D3/TDM. Am I misremembering again?

con_noprint 0

You can put it in your autoexec.cfg too (you can't do that with r_showprimitives 1, tdm will crash if you do).

• Like 2

I seem to have a problem with creating skins and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have a pretty simple case of a lamp which has a primary "unlit" material definded in ase model. I also created materials for white and orange light in my material file. I created skins folder and a text file there (the name of the file is irrelevant I guess?) Now my definitions look like this:

skin cor_lamp01_wht
{
model models/do/cor_lamp01.ase
textures/do/mesh/cor_lamp01_unlit
textures/do/mesh/cor_lamp01_wht
}

skin cor_lamp01_orn
{
model models/do/cor_lamp01.ase
textures/do/mesh/cor_lamp01_unlit
textures/do/mesh/cor_lamp01_orn
}

The problem is, they don't show up matched to the model in the browser, and when I apply the skin definition to the mesh, I am able to choose it, but it's black in-game.

[Edit] Damn, it was my fault, I messed up the emmisive texture paths :( So that's solved, but I still don't have those skins matched in model browser, it would be useful to select those right away.

Edited by Judith

If the model is listed in the skin definition you should find the skin under 'matching skins'. If that is not the case than there is probably a typo.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It's not in the Matching skins, but it is in All skins, and it works in-game. I don't know how to make the skin appear as an option in the model browser though. I looked at similar ase models and tried to copy those settings, but no dice:

Clipboard03.png

The same goes for multiple materials. I don't plan to use them much (never, preferably), but when you need. e.g. a translucency for a lightbulb in lamp, that might be useful. I managed to get multiple materials using multi-sub object in 3dsmax.

Clipboard02.png

But in game it always shows the second material. I tried to copy the material structure from those flowers, but then I can only see the first material. No idea why that happens :(

Edited by Judith

It's not in the Matching skins, but it is in All skins, and it works in-game

That means there is something wrong with the "model" line; either a typo, or DR doesn't understand the path to get to the model.

The same goes for multiple materials. I don't plan to use them much (never, preferably),

You'll often want different materials if the model has different surface types, at least for larger models. The game uses them to determine footstep and impact sounds, among other things.

I narrowed down the skin problem – model browser doesn't like the ".ASE" in uppercase, which 3dsmax does by default when exporting. That's what was wrong with the path. It must be lowercase, file extension included. Typically I use lowercase everywhere, but I missed that.

Clipboard04.png

• Like 2

Ugh, I'm an idiot. I was trying to use multi-sub object, because DR seemed to detect it, but in fact you have to split mesh into multiple meshes, as per required multiple materials, and then export the whole scene as .ase (not Export selected). I read that workflow for Blender like 10 times and I still missed it. It's basically the same process for 3dsmax.

Still, it was quite productive afternoon/evening.

do_2017-06-05_22.53.47.png

Edited by Judith
  • Like 2

Yeah as far as I'm aware of, you can just merge a whole model prior to exporting. As long as your material groups are setup right it'll pick them out automatically and apply their various attributes defined in the mtr. That goes for special collision materials as well as the shadow optimizations.

Edited by Epifire

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

So you can use multi sub-object material, and then just export the whole scene? That would make sense. I'll try that in the evening. Speaking of collisions, can you add the monsterclip material as a part of the mesh so the AI can walk on it (like for mesh stairs), or it should always be done in the editor with brushes?

Nodrawsolid is for such purposes. I guess monsterclipping will only work if added ingame, as it needs to be worldspawn iirc.

• Like 1

Be aware that if you add collision textures to a surface of the model, the rest of the model becomes non-solid.

• Like 1

You can't use monsterclip, as that has to be generated at runtime to work. You can add any of the various tdm_collision_x textures though--that can simplify collision detection, and is sometimes useful if your wall models have diagonal trim at floor level--the player bounces off diagonals rather severely, so putting a straight collision box at the bottom can help there.

• Like 1

I have a stable with an open window that the player can see through. It also has an upstairs room

for the stable boy where a group is playing cards. The problem is when you're outside, the conversation

they say is as clear as day, and it shouldn't be. It needs to be deadened by the walls.

Is there some way to drop the sound level? I can't use caulk cause it'd block the ability to see through the window.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Is there a visportal in the window and does it work properly? You might have an internal leak.

It is possible to manipulate the sound drop caused by a visportal (there is none by default). Use an info_locationseperator (if you use the location system) or an info_portalsettings that touches the visportal. You can set 'sound_loss' on the entity (you'll find it in the inherited spawnargs) to let the vp reduce the sound that travels through it. Note that this will apply suddenly, so there is no smooth transition when moving through the vp.

You could also try to alter the sound shaders used by the conversation so they have a lower distance.

Thank you both, and for the link grayman, I did search for it, but never found this.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Ugh, I'm an idiot. I was trying to use multi-sub object, because DR seemed to detect it, but in fact you have to split mesh into multiple meshes, as per required multiple materials, and then export the whole scene as .ase (not Export selected). I read that workflow for Blender like 10 times and I still missed it. It's basically the same process for 3dsmax.

Still, it was quite productive afternoon/evening.

Don't know if that is something that is required with ase models (never used them) but when using .lwo or md5 i don't need to split anything, just assign different materials for the faces/polys you want, and it will work fine in idtech4.

It might be the fact that I used Export selected instead of just Export, which is a difference between exporting one mesh and the whole scene in max. Haven't tried that yet, but exporting one mesh as a scene (without splitting anything) should work as well.

Okay, next hurdle - moving the origin on a .lwo already existing in TDM: I downloaded and opened Blender about a decade back, scratched my head a few times and shrugged. Thus concludes my Blender (or any 3d modeling program beyond level builders) experience.

How hard would it be to open a lwo, move the origin about 10-20 doom units down the z-axis and re-save the results? I'm stuck with a crappy dsl line that fails before the d/l of Blender completes, so I'll have to haul my laptop over to a relative's decent internet connection tomorrow to get it. What other scripts, who-hahs, and flibberty-jibbits might I need? As always, thanks in advance.