The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Is there a hotkey / command in DR I can use to jump to a selected entity in perspective view? E.g. I got something selected in 2D view, but I have the camera far away, and I want to see the object in perspective view quickly.

Besides what Obs said, you can also ctrl+middle click on the 2D viewport to send the perspective window's camera there. Ctrl+tab (if you're not in the 4-view layout) and ctrl+MMB again, if the camera is still off by an axis.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

I can't make atdm:readable_immobile_sign_small01 to work: if I put other readable with _world gui I can see text, but I've tested all fonts on this sign and none is wisible. Can someone point a mission where this sign is used?

I've used it in my missions.

Here are the relevant spawnargs from a sample sign in Cleighmoor:

"gui" "guis/readables/sign_text_decals/sign_text_stone.gui"

"gui_parm1" "Warden Fielder"

I assume you can use any of the guis in guis/readables/sign_text_decals/.

Does that help?

• Like 1

I made a thread about my issue without realizing this thread existed, but I figured I'd ask here since it seems I'm more likely to get an answer. If I get an answer here I guess my original thread could be deleted or something.

So far I've managed to create everything in my mission smoothly, but I can't make readables. I followed the instructions on the wiki and specified custom folder for my xdata files (a folder in my darkmod/map), and I can create a readable in the editor and save the xdata file. However in game I receive the error "Non-Existant xdata declaration: readables/(MyMissionName)/mybook" as well as "num_pages not definined on readable" followed by the entity name, upon loading my mission. Attempting to read or pick up the readable locks up my character making it impossible to change equipment or items. I even poked around my files and opened the xdata file in notepad, and the contents match what I got in the editor and structure itself seems fine.

Does anyone know a solution, so far the mapping has been going smoothly and it's quite frustrating to get stuck on readables. I don't technically need them but, they I couldn't make the mission I want without them.

I made a thread about my issue without realizing this thread existed, but I figured I'd ask here since it seems I'm more likely to get an answer. If I get an answer here I guess my original thread could be deleted or something.

So far I've managed to create everything in my mission smoothly, but I can't make readables. I followed the instructions on the wiki and specified custom folder for my xdata files (a folder in my darkmod/map), and I can create a readable in the editor and save the xdata file. However in game I receive the error "Non-Existant xdata declaration: readables/(MyMissionName)/mybook" as well as "num_pages not definined on readable" followed by the entity name, upon loading my mission. Attempting to read or pick up the readable locks up my character making it impossible to change equipment or items. I even poked around my files and opened the xdata file in notepad, and the contents match what I got in the editor and structure itself seems fine.

Does anyone know a solution, so far the mapping has been going smoothly and it's quite frustrating to get stuck on readables. I don't technically need them but, they I couldn't make the mission I want without them.

I had the same problem a few weeks back, it was a mistake with my folder structure, check my post in this thread dated Dec 14th at 9:53 and the following discussion:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9082-newbie-darkradiant-questions/page-317

Edited by JackFarmer

I had the same problem a few weeks back, it was a mistake with my folder structure, check my post in this thread dated Dec 14th at 9:53 and the following discussion:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9082-newbie-darkradiant-questions/page-317

So I organized my FM Folder like the Springheel video suggested and changed my readable editor settings to place the xd files in mod/xdata, and now the readables appear to work, I can read them in game and I can modify them too, it just requires rebooting the game for the changes to appear in game. The folder structure seems like it'll come in handy for future work on the map and any future missions.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by some1stoleit

FYI you don't have to reboot the game to see the changes. From the Readables wiki page:

When testing readable text you can use reloadXData in the console to reload changed xdata definitions in-game.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Neon - do you ever use the wiki at all..? Or do you just forget that you made a thread on the subject, don't search the forums and ask again instead..?

I think that I've answered this question for you at least twice last year...

If you'd even bother to search "water" in the wiki - it tells you all of this...

*slams head into wall in attempt to get brain damage to understand neon's methods*.

Calm down man. Don't sweat the little shit, jeez. Yes I do use the wiki, and google,

I asked this questions a couple of times, but never got a workable answer. This one worked

and it looks awesome.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Is it possible to turn off the sound in game with a single option or command line switch? I sometimes feel like listening to music while working on things, but the in-game sounds can get in the way a bit. All of my audo sliders are at the same level, so I can drag them to the minimum values without upsetting the balance, but I can still hear things faintly and I'll probably forget I've done this, and later on wonder why I can't hear anything.

Edit: I opened up the .exe in Notepad++ and did a search for 'sound' and found s_noSound. I already have two shortcuts - one for normal TDM to play FMs, and an editing one with the easy console enabled. I can have a third one with the console and +set s_noSound 1. It seems to be a startup-only command though; I can't get the sound status to change in game.

Edited by R Soul

Hi again guys, having another problem in my map now with AAS regions. The wiki entry on AAS is pretty much a joke so I guess I have to hope some more experienced mappers have had similar issues.

So in my mansion there's these double doors in certain corridors that are there to block line of sight both for atmospheric and performance reasons. On the ground floor these doors work great but on the second floor they are blocking the AAS regions so my AI won't walk through them (see pics). Furthermore, I have figured out that it's a problem with the vis portals and not the doors themselves. Is there a way to override dmapped AAS regions or is there an easier way to fix it? There are no leaks in the portal and there's no hidden monsterclip or anything like that.

Door+visportal = AAS cut off

2zhqn9i.jpg

No door and vis-portal = AAS cut off2aeyo0n.jpg

No visportal + door = AAS success!

2qup6wj.jpg

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

On the ground floor these doors work great but on the second floor they are blocking the AAS regions so my AI won't walk through them (see pics). Furthermore, I have figured out that it's a problem with the vis portals and not the doors themselves. Is there a way to override dmapped AAS regions or is there an easier way to fix it? There are no leaks in the portal and there's no hidden monsterclip or anything like that.

Check that the non-visportal faces of the visportal brush are all nodraw. If one of them is something other than nodraw, then the consequence is AI do not walk through that visportal; and the solution is the change the offending faces back to nodraw. Reading your explanation makes me think it's likely this.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Check that the non-visportal faces of the visportal brush are all nodraw. If one of them is something other than nodraw, then the consequence is AI do not walk through that visportal; and the solution is the change the offending faces back to nodraw. Reading your explanation makes me think it's likely this.

This was my thought as well.

Yep, I also had this problem, once. I used the brush->create visportal method, so I thought it should all be fine, but at some point I cut the visportal, so one side became caulk intead of nodraw, which then caused the error.

Thanks demagogue! That solved it, there was caulk on the bottom of the thing, can't believe I missed it. It's strange that the visportal still works, but blocks AAS regions.

Speaking of visportals I have another issue with one that makes me scratch my head. I have a window that leads to a small corridor with another window on the other end. One window works fine but the other one is being incredibly stubborn. Earlier the visportal didn't show up at all, until I figured out there was a tiny leak in the ceiling. Now it shows up, kind of... but it's very odd. When the window opens so does the visportal, but there's only skybox behind it, until I pass through it and the street shows up as normal. When I look back then I can see right through everything. Basically if I've understood correctly it refuses to draw both "rooms" at once. What can I do about that? See pics below for reference.

I can add that there is a street that wraps around the building and has a large visportal in the middle, if that could have an impact...

Looking out the east window from inside corridor, works as intended.

261k9qw.jpg

Looking out the west window, black/skybox on the outside.

513o6f.jpg

Looking in to the west window from below. Skybox.... and curiously, no green line indicating a visportal!5d1cuh.jpg

Looking in to the west window from right outside. More skybox, and stuff that are supposed to render in both rooms, I guess?izot1j.jpg

Edited by Bienie

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

I had a problem like that when a visportal was inside another leaf (as opposed to on the barrier between 2 leafs); it acted like caulk/skybox. It's hard to tell by your screenshots whether that's the problem here though. (And I don't recall if the visportal still has its green outline in those cases.)

The other potential issue is what I dubbed the "black walls of death", which is when sliver-like messy brushwork has some kind of rounding error which makes the render barf and you get skybox black & invisible walls, although that doesn't really look like this case here either if it's really focusing on the visportal rendering. (Anyway, it's one reason why you want to build with clean and not-too-small brushwork.)

In any event, my usual method for any kind of visportal problem is to rebuild the visportal space over with cleaner and simpler brushwork and that often works whatever the issue. You might try a test visportal & brushwork that's ridiculously basic just to see if it works.

Ok thanks for the tips, I can look into it. The brushwork isn't sloppy per se, but I guess it could be simplified.

I was also thinking that it could have something to do with the surrounding visleafs... It's basically an elevated tunnel that kind of "shortcuts" the larger leafs around them. It's hard to explain in words... Maybe these DR screens will illustrate better!

This is what the area looks like without entities. on the left side of the top down (right) panel there is another window and beyond that is another VP.

11bhift.png

Here's the other view from the other side of the visportal (on the right in the previous image).

20zvd54.png

Does that give anyone any other ideas? I'm definitely going to take a closer look and maybe rebuild the whole interior visleaf.

My Fan Missions:

Disregard above post... it had nothing to do with the way the visportals were set up it seems like. I followed your recommendation demagogue and rebuild all the worldspawn, this time with grid-snapped, thicker walls and no unevenness and now the portals both work fine! Thanks again you've really helped me sqash these annoying bugs today! ^_^ Feels like I'm pretty close to a beta now, or at least alpha!

My Fan Missions:

There is a betatest forum that an admin needs to give you access to. Hopefully one will see your post here and do that. Once you get access, start a betatest thread there. Then you post a public thread asking for volunteers, probably in the main TDM subforum because you want to get a mix of players and builders. Then PM them a link to your betatest thread, and then you put a link to your pk4 file in there. (If an admin hasn't given you access after a day or so, then you could try PM'ing one to ask.)

Usually you post in the Fan Mission forums to ask for beta-testers, and then set up a beta-testing thread after that.

I want to use a helmet as disguise so a enemy won't attack if item is equipped. I manage to achieve it by adding $city_guard.setTeam(0);

to a helmet script but now I can put it on in the middle of fight and a guard will even feel sorry he was chopping me just a while ago.

"chanceNoticePerson" and "acuity_vis" don't work at all with script, so how can I make a player less visible/ noisy by a switch flip?

Also how can I make a toxic gas zone? "trigger_hurt" with "def_damage" = "damage_noair_1" works in a same way like basic triger_hurt: hurt barks don't express suffocation - maybe some sort of water volume without movement restrictions?

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

The helmet script issue would be easy to just put a Boolean conditional switch in front of the set_team function, something effectively "has seen player without helmet" which flips true when the described case happens, and in that case the set_team function is non-functioning from that point.

Suffocating players has been done before, and there's a vacuum property in there, but I can't recall the particulars. You can go into the sourcecode and see its functioning, so that might give you a hint.

In my FM, I faked one by just playing a triggered omni speaker of a gagging cough which realistically sounded like it was coming from the player, and I could have soundlessly taken HP, and that could do the job for you too if you can't find the "real" way.

• Like 1

Also how can I make a toxic gas zone? "trigger_hurt" with "def_damage" = "damage_noair_1" works in a same way like basic triger_hurt: hurt barks don't express suffocation - maybe some sort of water volume without movement restrictions?

Creating a vacuum is rather complicated. I also played around with it. These are my experiences:

I first tried to create a water entity that does not encompass the physics changes while under water, but am not firm enough in the soure code to find it. With simple definitions I could not do it.

The original doom has a couple of vacuum entities that are still present in TDM. However, Doom originally only used vacuum if you destroyed windows towards an evacuated area. I could recreate it for sepcific zones by creating a small, invisible room with a vacuum and giving it a door with a vacuum_trigger (not sure if this is the right name). Then I used the location system and created small areas out of visportals that triggered the door. Thus, when the player entered such a region, the door would get opened and the room flooded with vacuum. When the player left the region, the door would close and the vacuum would disappear. I have searched for easier ways to do this, but so far had no luck with that. Also, this method has some problems: the vacuum will expand through each open door, thus choking any AI, as long as the player is in the choking gas. Thus the player could kill any AI in the area by standing in teh choking gas with a couple of breath potions. Additionally, when the vacuum sets in, the sound that you hear will be of getting under water.

• Like 1