The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

So, um, why is my map leaking? I'm pretty sure there aren't any external leaks out into the void... Dmap doesn't generate a pointfile either. :(

http://www.debacle.us/hs_1.map

If someone could check it out for me, I'd be grateful. :)

Well I checked that map and there's this huge gaping hole.

82804506.png

You see how one can see grey void there?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Leaks were a headache when I started mapping. If you scroll the console up it will tell you which entity is involved in the leak. In this case it is func_static_76, a roof gable. It is weird because the gable itself is in-bounds but its origin is outside. The other gables right next to it have the same problem. You can fix this by selecting them and then right click somewhere and revert them back to world spawn. Then turn them back in to statics and their origin will be in bounds.

Well help was nicely forthcoming; I sit and see another screenshot without having to open the whole map; I like; I am intrigued furthermore farther & further; I check out http://www.radiator.debacle.us/; I like even more...

This all looks quite promising

Was it the moddb and/or other escalations in promotion that brought Radiatoryang here?

Edited by Aprilsister

Leaks were a headache when I started mapping. If you scroll the console up it will tell you which entity is involved in the leak. In this case it is func_static_76, a roof gable. It is weird because the gable itself is in-bounds but its origin is outside. The other gables right next to it have the same problem. You can fix this by selecting them and then right click somewhere and revert them back to world spawn. Then turn them back in to statics and their origin will be in bounds.

Ahh, thanks! That did the trick. (Err, now an even stupider question -- how do you scroll up in the console?...)

EDIT: Aprilsister, I've been a TTLG lurker for years, I've played a lot of T2 FMs, so TDM's been on my radar since the beginning. I'm not sure how effective the ModDB stuff is, but if you really want publicity for TDM then it's all about stunningly pretty screenshots. Like this: http://www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/devblog/

Edited by Radiatoryang

Ahh, thanks! That did the trick. (Err, now an even stupider question -- how do you scroll up in the console?...)

It's not a stupid question. I wouldn't know if you hadn't asked... ^^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Light Gem question:

Is there a way to "map" the light in a zone such that AI do not have to calculate the Light Gem values in real-time? (Yes, this would only be for areas with static lighting.)

Eg: If you are here, your light gem = value x.

Possible with scripting?

AI Question:

Is there an easy way to transition an AI to a func_animate and vice-versa?

(Curiosity will probably kill the cat... :unsure: )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Sure but you could the location settings to setup zones I believe?

Even if you had to make a table of values, reading a table is much less CPU intensive than what the dynamic Light Gem is doing, no?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Mmm. I think it would need hundreds of thousands of zones. Light intensity varies every few inches and there are many thousands even in an average room.

It's not a bad idea to have a lookup table but I don't know if it would be effective here. Maybe that's how Thief works with a pre-compiled 3 dimensional array holding all the light values. Dynamic lights are few very tiny.

In TDM there are almost no FMs with static lighting. Most have moveable candles, extinguishable torches, virtually all have the player lantern, etc. etc.

I wanted to thank Komag for his video tuts. Great stuff, although he moves a little too quick for me sometimes. Need to watch a few times before I get everything. I'm a slo-mo kinda guy, not your fault. Thanks.:)

Edited by ocn

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

Mmm. I think it would need hundreds of thousands of zones. Light intensity varies every few inches and there are many thousands even in an average room.

It's not a bad idea to have a lookup table but I don't know if it would be effective here. Maybe that's how Thief works with a pre-compiled 3 dimensional array holding all the light values. Dynamic lights are few very tiny.

In TDM there are almost no FMs with static lighting. Most have moveable candles, extinguishable torches, virtually all have the player lantern, etc. etc.

Yes but his starting point is he wants to only deal with static lighting. Maybe he's going to rig some baked lighting for an area or use decals, etc.

Location settings won't work because they only apply to an entire portal leaf, way too big for this job.

But Fidcal hinted at something that might work, though it'd take work to set it up: if it's true you're baking light by hand into the textures so it's all static lighting, then you might pre-compile a table of values from the textures themselves. Another possibility is if you use shadow decals, then you can get the values directly from the decal under you, and that might be significantly easier to set up. Either one of those approaches might work. (It wouldn't work for dynamic lighting though, so you'd have to keep them entirely out).

Then to set it up, you'd look into the source code for the lightgem to see what values it wants and where it gets them values from, then set a system up to create those values based on whichever method you're doing, and pass those values to the lightgem code. But that sounds like a lot of work for code that can't handle dynamic lighting, forces you to micro-manage lighting for the *entire* level inch-by-inch, and how much does it actually help performance? But for certain kinds of levels (a massive, megatextured outdoor level), you might do something impressive with it. I think using a system with the shadow decals is maybe the most promising; there's a thread somewhere around here where we talked about it if you search for "shadow decal".

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

A quick question: if I want to target multiple entities from the same lever or button, does it suffice to give the command as target entity1, entity2, entity3 (etc.), or is it done differently?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A quick question: if I want to target multiple entities from the same lever or button, does it suffice to give the command as target entity1, entity2, entity3 (etc.), or is it done differently?

The lever should have spawnargs:

target1 entity1

target2 entity2

target3 entity3

and so forth.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thank you. As a Dromed vet, my immediate reflex is to think in complex Rube Goldberg devices. "So, the button teleports a patrolling servant into a blue room, who frobs all three levers, and then walks on a live mine and dies. Then, ..."

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

As far as I am aware it is, e.g. if you have a big hall, and you want a single switch to turn off/on all the lights in that room you would put links on the switch properties as follows -

target light 1

target0 light 2

target1 light 3

target2 light 4

target3 light 4

Edited by Bikerdude

be easier to do it as a script.

eg

void sewerlight_sequence(entity mover_lever, boolean bOpen, boolean bLocked, boolean bInterrupted)

{

if (bOpen)

{

sys.print("Lever on. \n");

$duff_sewer_1.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_2.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_3.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_4.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_5.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_6.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_7.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_8.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_9.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_10.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_11.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_12.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_13.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

$duff_sewer_14.activate($player1);

sys.wait(1);

}

else

{

sys.print("Lever off. \n");

$duff_sewer_1.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_2.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_3.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_4.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_5.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_6.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_7.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_8.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_9.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_10.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_11.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_12.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_13.activate($player1);

$duff_sewer_14.activate($player1);

}

}

As I recall there's a command that automatically adds an entity as a new target on an entity when you click something. Very handy, click click click. You should only need a script if you're doing some complicated conditional, not just for a general mass trigger.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

1) 1.03 question about yet undocumented feature: how can the "ceiling hang" behaviour of the spiders be set up?

2) On an unrelated note, how can entities be suspended in mid-air until the player grabs them?