The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

OK, then try this:

•  
  • Create a path_anim
  • Put the anim on that
  • Also rotate the path_anim so the AI faces the way you want. That gives it an angle spawnarg. It's important or the anim won't work according to the wiki.
  • Target the path_anim from the AI. You might also need a path_wait targetted from the path_anim I don't know.

Some of my textures are leaking, and I am wondering why. Any ideas based on the material file entries below?

textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian
{
metal

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian_ed
diffusemap 	textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian
bumpmap 	textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian_local
specularmap 	textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian_s

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend 	gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map 	_white
	rgb 	0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend 	add
	map 	textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian
	rgb 	0.15 * parm11
}

// TDM Ambient Method Related 
{ 					 
if (global5 == 1) 
blend add 		 
map 		 textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian
scale 	 1, 1 
red 		 global2 
green 	 global3 
blue 	 global4 
} 					 
{ 					 
if (global5 == 2) 
blend add 		 
program ambientEnvironment.vfp 
vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump 
vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular 
vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1 

fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1 		 
fragmentMap 1 textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian_local 	 // Bump 		 
fragmentMap 2 textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian
// Diffuse 	 
fragmentMap 3 textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian_s 	 // Specular
}
}

textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_rivets_dirty_moss
{
metal

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_rivets_dirty_moss_ed
diffusemap 	textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_rivets_dirty_moss
bumpmap 	textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_rivets_dirty_local
specularmap 	textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_rivets_dirty_s

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend 	gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map 	_white
	rgb 	0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend 	add
	map 	textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_rivets_dirty_moss
	rgb 	0.15 * parm11
}

// TDM Ambient Method Related 
{							
	if (global5 == 1)		
	blend add				
	map				textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_rivets_dirty_moss
	scale			1, 1		
	red				global2	
	green			global3	
	blue			global4	
}							
{							
	if (global5 == 2)		
	blend add				
	program	ambientEnvironment.vfp	
	vertexParm		0		1, 1, 1, 1		// UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump	
	vertexParm		1		1, 1, 1, 1	// (X,Y) UV Scale for specular		
	vertexParm		2		global2, global3, global4, 1	

fragmentMap		0		cubeMap env/gen1				
	fragmentMap		1		textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_rivets_dirty_local			// Bump				
	fragmentMap		2		textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_rivets_dirty_moss
// Diffuse			
	fragmentMap		3		textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/panel_rivets_dirty_s			// Specular
}
}

Or does it come from something else? :blink:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Should be OK. Check the brush is not too thin (I think the minimum is about 1 unit.) Check also the textures on other surfaces of the brush(es) because even if they are on the side it makes the whole brush leak, eg, nodraw, decal, clip, all will causes leaks. Try converting to stone to test if that fixes the leak. If it still leaks then you know it's not the texture.

It has to be the texture since if I retexture the brush, the problem ceases.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

All the textures are Power of Two, correct?

I don't see a syntax problem with the definition. I would make sure to re-check the texture names (and also look for conflicting names in TDM?)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

That can't be a problem either. The textures have correct resolution and names.

The materials are in your root darkmod directory when you dmap or "elsewhere'?

I would use an override pk4 like zzz_melan_new.pk4 to make sure that your versions win.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I would use an override pk4 like zzz_melan_new.pk4 to make sure that your versions win.

That's where they are.

And no, the textures with the problems do not have transparent areas, unless Gimp saved the TGAs/DDSs with transparency.

I'm starting to wonder if the text editor may have had something to do with it. This is my first time writing a .mtr on Windows 7, and whereas I used Wordpad before, I switched to Notepad now for aesthetic reasons... Still, the entries above look normal. :mellow:

Have you temporary source files with the same prefix but different suffix in the image directory? If doom tries those first it probably gives up. I had that and it showed 'failed to load image' etc in the console even though the tgas were there. In my case there was no leak because they were used internally but perhaps against the void it might.

Try narrowing down where the problem lies. Cut out all the extraneous stuff and just use:

textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian

{

metal

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian_ed

diffusemap textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian

bumpmap textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian_local

specularmap textures/darkmod/metal/detailed/beam_rusty_victorian_s

}

Everything else is just for frobbing or ambient light, so the above should still work (thought it might look black under certain light). If it still leaks, then it has to be something specific to the texture files.

Thanks for your help, everyone, but I probably bothered you over my own mistake. It looks like the errors were actually in the testmap itself; leftover old textures still on the walls, which the game interpreted as "no shader". It drove me crazy too. :wacko:

The good news is, it doesn't look like the new textures have any technical problems (although some will need to have their normalmaps remade when I submit them to Serpentine). So far. :unsure:

A question: this article on the wiki mentions prefabbed sign text decals, saying they are under prefabs/readables/sign_text_decals/. However, the readables folder doesn't have anything like that. Are they maybe elsewhere, or do they not exist yet?

Thank you, Stumpy! For some reason, they do not show up in the hierarchy.