The Dark Mod Forums

Collision sounds

Springheel

Moveable collision sounds were set to a fixed volume ranging from 1 to 0 depending on velocity instead of using the volume in the sndshd

Wow, Angua, that's awesome. I can't wait to see what this sounds like. :)

Keep in mind that I did that from work without any testing at all, so this will probably need quite an amount of tweaking until it sounds right. I'll probably convert the sound decrease into a cvar or spawn arg to make this easier.

Would this affect - or is there a possibility - of the player footstep drop sound being modified by height - or at least disabled if below a certain height? I tried to step quietly off a bunkbed maybe 5 feet high yesterday and alerted an AI. The thief ought to be able to lower himself silently up to his own height. Reverse mantling would be nice. :) In Thief the drop footstep sound is reduced if the player is crouching.

OK, but perhaps it needs modifying? If you on a bunk bed or on a table, you should be able to get down 3 to 5 feet silently imo or you're trapped if there are permanent AI. Perhaps it can be capped - no sound - or at least similar to crouch if less than 6 feet? Thing is, in RL, you would crouch, sit, lie, roll over and lower yours silently. In TDM it is as if your only choice is step off in mid-air and drop the whole 4 to 5 feet onto tile.

I crouched off a bed onto a tile floor about six feet behind an AI and he didn't hear me.

I fixed this yesterday - the code was already only playing a jumping sound above a certain velocity depending if the player was crouched or not, but the landing animation still had footsteps in it so that always a standard footstep sound was played at landing (which was more quiet when crouched, but still there).

Now there is no sound any more when you step down a ledge while crouched (unless the ledge is really high).