The Dark Mod Forums

Beta-mapper application

demagogue

(I know there's more to it than just "signing up"; don't know why I wrote that by-line, it was just off-the-cuff, but aaanyway...)

So ... I started building with the St. Lucy stuff, but it has come to my attention that I may as well also go the Beta-mapper route while I'm doing it; it only helps things out. (I would have signed up sooner but my ancient computer just didn't have the video card for Doom3 and I finally got a new computer.)

Since I agree it's much better to build without being as tied down, and I would be more than happy to contribute my opinions on building, I'll apply to be a beta-mapper.

As evidence of my building-prowess and commitment, immediately on hand I have (in Thief 2) my section of the Chain Project. Best way to see my part is probably to open Darkloader, highlight Chain Project, hit "Dromed mission", go into game-mode (alt-G), hit "shift-;" to open the console, type "physics" (because the doors are locked), shift-Q fly through the door (or kill the guy), turn right, go down hallway and fly through the next door on your right, it has a sign with my name, and that's my area. Once inside the door type "physics" in the console again and "unfly" then you can look around.

I can continue making what I'm doing in Dark Radiant if you want to see something there, too, though it would take a bit more time of course.

Cheers. :)

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Sure thing (the first three are from my WIP FM, by the way.)

MountBafford014.jpg

MountBafford012.jpg

2j10qs1.jpg

Chain1.jpg

Chain6.jpg

Chain7.jpg

Chain3.jpg

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I was looking at those screenshots thinking "How did you get all of those soft shadows, and isn't the image quality a bit low for the Doom 3 engine?", then I realised it was Thief. D'oh.

That goes to show just how far TDM has gotten! :D

Rather nice stuff, too. I also like that last pic. Especially the lump of lead.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I also like that last pic. Especially the lump of lead.

Haha, the lump of lead, huh?

Some people are surprisingly easy to please. ^_^

You know, if you put the lead into the smoking bowl on the table, you'll get a bang and a lump of gold. B)

I was looking at those screenshots thinking "How did you get all of those soft shadows, and isn't the image quality a bit low for the Doom 3 engine?", then I realised it was Thief. D'oh.

LOL The same here, I was almost posting to compliment you on your good usage of TDM textures :P

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo ... about that application thing. :unsure:

If you guys want to see some more, with TDM this time, I'm game.

Been working with the St. Lucy stuff. All still WIP, but it's fun to post shots anyway.

The story I cooked up for this, btw, is effing wicked, so I'm excited to get it built.

Tenatitve title: Patently Dangerous.

25z56y9.jpg

Sort of tight so not so easy to get the best screenshot... (Debating putting that facade into the light)

There was a recent murder in the townhouse on the left there. That's why the police are patroling.

2d28un7.jpg

Some good Z-action in this one; accidently fell getting here, though.

(used a chimney to shut a portal)

An inventor lives in that house on the right, and has just made a discovery with important commercial value. Sounds like an opportunity for a little corporate espionage. Might be able to get in that window in the back.

I'll try to get some more shots as I go on.

Edit: whoa, didn't even notice my group status changed. Cool beans.

Edited by demagogue

Looks cool! (the inverted normal on those roof tiles has always bothered the heck out of me though!)

Why inverted? There are different types of roofing tiles. This one was supposed to be like this:

SuperStock_1566-388836.jpg

However... On the second shot those tiles below are rotated 90 degrees.

It's only a model...

I guess I stand corrected, but I always imagine roof tiles being primarily convex, so it always just looks wrong to me. That pic looks more wavy (both) than just concave though, whereas our texture looks entirely concave.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif