The Dark Mod Forums

New Proguard_02 (still WIP)

ascottk

How many polys is that head, btw? The ear seems to have a lot of detail for a basic mesh.

Those ears probably take up most of the poly #'s <_<

According to the md5mesh, the face itself has 4854 tris. Way too many.

Added some straps & matched the helmet texture to the body:

EDIT: oops . . . wrong screenshot:

post-476-1239819342_thumb.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the md5mesh, the face itself has 4854 tris. Way too many.

Ouch, yeah. :blink: Most of our characters are around that, body and head combined.

Looks nice! I like the 'strong' look of this new head, as well as the look of the facial hair, sideburns, and eyebrows. I'd just extrapolate the normal on the inside of the ear. And something doesn't look quite right about the lips, but I can't nail it down.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

So I'm comparing this guy to the guard & making necessary adjustments to match:

post-476-1240176918_thumb.jpg

What I notice offhand is that the cloth is a lot more coarse with the guard. Maybe a finer cloth works for the imperial? He has smaller feet, huge hands, there are less ornate decorations. Maybe he should be a little taller?

Oh yeah, that's the ticket. He looks less armored then the normal builder though, so it might seem a bit strange for him to be of higher rank, though the armor is more ornate, so not sure.

Either way looks MUCH better then the original first.

To be honest, I think you should scrap the idea of making him a "builder imperial" (a concept that would make him hard to use anyway) and just make him a regular guard character, which we could certainly use more of.

For starters, he actually looks *less* ornate than the original builder guard (no designs on the armour or cloth, a simple belt buckle, a basic guard helmet, etc), so he doesn't come across as 'imperial' at all. He looks like a basic, well-armoured mercenary.

Secondly, he looks nothing like the other builders in terms of style. No one seeing those two characters together would assume they belonged to the same organization. Other than the boots, they have nothing in common. All the other builder characters have heavy, oppressive armour made of large plates, while this guy's armour is the opposite--small, light plates, placed out of the way. All the other builder characters have restrictive metal collars around their neck; this character has an entirely open, uncovered neck. The original guard has a huge, simple hammer symbol that takes up his entire chest, and this guy has a tiny hammer/cog combo that you can barely see. Etc.

I really don't think he fits in with the builder faction at all, let alone a more ornate character. BUT, he does make a half-decent mercenary. Why not do away with the symbol and modify the boots a bit, and then we could have another professional guard character?

To be honest, I think you should scrap the idea of making him a "builder imperial" (a concept that would make him rarely used anyway) and just make him a regular guard character, which we could certainly use more of.

That's my feeling as well. There are already (or will be) higher up Builders, and well as lowers it sounds, so it's a bit unneeded. However another guard type to add to the city watch would be a nice addition.

And yep, he's much improved!

However another guard type to add to the city watch would be a nice addition.

Well, not the city watch (they're covered already) but just guards in general. Mansions, museums, private cemeteries, banks, etc, are all going to need private guards. We only have two private guard meshes at the moment and one is for elite guards. We could definitely use more regular, private guard characters.

I could imagine these guys as part of a professional mercenary team, hired to protect wealthy caravans or guard important aristocrats in public. They would also work well as a noble's personal guard--the elite guards that protect the nobleman himself (rather than the average joe who gets hired to watch the gate).

That guy would make a perfect body guard for the artifact collector in my current fm project :D

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Where would this guy fit logically in the directories? What folder/def/material?

private_proguard

rent_a_guard :laugh:

pro_merc

merc_pro

pro_wrestler :P

& what color scheme (default)? Purple like the museum guards in TDS? Dark forest green? 2-tone like the proguard? Black? Magenta/Maroon?

Where would this guy fit logically in the directories? What folder/def/material?

I'd suggest guards/proguard_02

& what color scheme (default)? Purple like the museum guards in TDS? Dark forest green? 2-tone like the proguard? Black? Magenta/Maroon?

In general I've tried to reserve blue for the citywatch and red for the builders. Anything else is fair game--why not include several skins? I could see black and gold looking quite sharp on those guys.

I'd suggest guards/proguard_02
Done.

In general I've tried to reserve blue for the citywatch and red for the builders. Anything else is fair game--why not include several skins? I could see black and gold looking quite sharp on those guys.
Well, I did make this guy to be versatile so I further separated the materials so I can hide the pauldrons and cape as well as the armor itself. I don't have the heart to leave the builder imperial concept so that'll be an optional skin. I probably add a few new meshes so he can have regular boots and sleeves (only to be hidden as a default skin) so he can be a commoner.

Here's a new screen of the proguard_02 family:

post-476-1240259407_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind I just started to make skins so expect more revisions and variations :ph34r:

I further separated the materials so I can hide the pauldrons and cape as well as the armor itself.

Yes, that's a good idea. Don't forget to separate the meshes according to material type as well for our damage system.

I think the body looks decent now, though still I'm not sure about the head. The eyes and mouth in particular still look a bit off, and there's still that problem with the neck. I suspect this guy would look pretty good with a generic guard (chain coif) head, however. What does the cape look like now with a normalmap, btw?

Coming along real nicely now :)

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

It's always improving with each screenshot, which is really promising.

In my experience, I don't think detailed feedback is too useful, I think it's better to speak in feelings and let the artist try and come up with the solution.

The face feels too pained and akward and stiff. oDDity's faces, obviously based off photos, look much more full of character.

Overall, oDDity's characters visually feel more detailed and dirty, your one still feels unnaturally a bit to clean and shiny. But it's come a long way.

Now I'm having fun :D I had the idea of a forest green theme going so I made this skin:

post-476-1240296926_thumb.jpg

I call it the "Forester" skin. Dirty & worn.

And to go along with the worn out theme here's a balding proguard:

post-476-1240296907_thumb.jpg

I have about 8 skins (3 major ones) so far.

Instead of modifying the boot to get rid of the builder guard knee cap I ended up using an alpha channel to get rid of it. & the buckle is using the gen texture setup I started a couple years back. Maybe I could incorporate more gen textures somehow.

I could easily get carried away with this guy ^_^

Very nice!

Can't wait to use this guard :D

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I like the way you're incorporating Odd's textures...it's a big improvement. Good use of the splat decal; it's one of my favourites. :)

the buckle is using the gen texture setup I started a couple years back.

There's nothing wrong with using generic texture sets; I do all the time. But you should know some of the specific ones you made years ago may be on the chopping block as we cull certain textures (specifically the "difference cloud" metal ones).