The Dark Mod Forums

Want to help with animation

Noisycricket

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is SVN access needed if the only file necessary is the proguard rig? We could just email that file, and he could get started making .mb files right away, correct? It's not until we get to the point of exporting to md5anim files that SVN access becomes necessary.

Why not give him svn acces :huh: ? Doesn't he need that to access the model repository? And he needs that to commit his own animations. Just send a personal message to Sparhawk with your preferred password for svn access. One of the admins can change your status to contributor, I'm sure one will do if they read this :) . Once you are made a contributor you should start with reading this:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=6694

I'll go and set him up as an Applicant. Though I'd prefer if a small startup task is given to complete the application.

@Flanders: can you take care of sending noisycricket the proguard rig, so that he can attempt to create a small idle animation cycle?

@noisycricket: you should be able to see the Applicants forum now. Feel free to open a new thread there.

It's actually pretty useless in a first-person game. It kind of breaks my immersion that I must think of "press this button to touch back to wall." When I'm on my desktop PC, I almost unconsciously scoot my butt back so I'm touching the back of my chair! ;)

I used it in the Thief 3 tutorial and forgot that it existed for the rest of the game. Same applied to me even in Splinter Cell; I recognized its use only whenever I saw a tight space, otherwise I forgot about it.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

It's actually pretty useless in a first-person game. It kind of breaks my immersion that I must think of "press this button to touch back to wall." When I'm on my desktop PC, I almost unconsciously scoot my butt back so I'm touching the back of my chair! ;)

I used it in the Thief 3 tutorial and forgot that it existed for the rest of the game. Same applied to me even in Splinter Cell; I recognized its use only whenever I saw a tight space, otherwise I forgot about it.

I use it quite often, it makes your foe spot you only when he is touching you. =] It makes moving in hallways much easier, i think. =))

Edited by Tushaar

1) In Tears of Saint Lucia (And thief 1-2), if your lightgem was at its lowest, you could only be noticed by touch or sound.

1) It's pretty unimpressive without 3rd person view :(

2) In 1st person, you would have to draw clunky and sort of ugly "ghostly body parts" to show as a "You are wall-hugging" indicator (like Thief 3 did).

What you said was absolutely true in Thief 3, but it unfortunately doesn't work well in a first-person game. I'm almost certain that after we release, someone will come around with a Dark Mod patch or mod that could add 3rd person and wall-hugging. :)

By the way, glad to see you registered on the forums and show such interest in the mod! ^_^

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Why is SVN access needed if the only file necessary is the proguard rig? We could just email that file, and he could get started making .mb files right away, correct? It's not until we get to the point of exporting to md5anim files that SVN access becomes necessary.

Theres only a couple of things i think i'll need, because i don't think the code currently waits until the standing-idle cycle is finished before it transitions to another standing-idle-emote animation (ie. stretching). Although the engine blends, transitions would be less noticible if i were to use the middle position of the standing-idle animation. So, i would need the current standing-idle animation unless the current standing-idle animation starts the character sway movement in the middle.

My email is: tory40 comcast net

I use it quite often, it makes your foe spot you only when he is touching you. =] It makes moving in hallways much easier, i think. =))

It was a 'mode' that you could go into in T3, like lock picking, we didn't want to unnecessarily put the player into 'special' modes...we wanted to stay as true to T1/T2 as possible. In any case, wall hugging was more of a visual gimick for the third person perspective.

I believe it's good to try and make this just happen naturally if possible - the fact that you move your person up against the wall should give you a lightgem bonus, and mappers should be careful to place patrol points and hallway widths that you can let them slip by you without bumping into you, if that's what they want to allow.

1) In Tears of Saint Lucia (And thief 1-2), if your lightgem was at its lowest, you could only be noticed by touch or sound.

1) It's pretty unimpressive without 3rd person view :(

2) In 1st person, you would have to draw clunky and sort of ugly "ghostly body parts" to show as a "You are wall-hugging" indicator (like Thief 3 did).

What you said was absolutely true in Thief 3, but it unfortunately doesn't work well in a first-person game. I'm almost certain that after we release, someone will come around with a Dark Mod patch or mod that could add 3rd person and wall-hugging. :)

By the way, glad to see you registered on the forums and show such interest in the mod! ^_^

Im a thief freak :P At the moment im playing all thiefs all over again on expert difficulties =] Im very interested in TDM but unfortunately i have no game programming skills at all, so i cant help you :(

Theres only a couple of things i think i'll need, because i don't think the code currently waits until the standing-idle cycle is finished before it transitions to another standing-idle-emote animation (ie. stretching). Although the engine blends, transitions would be less noticible if i were to use the middle position of the standing-idle animation. So, i would need the current standing-idle animation unless the current standing-idle animation starts the character sway movement in the middle.

My email is: tory40 comcast net

Some more info before you start:

Rig setup and use:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?...e_Animation_Rig

You can take the first frame of the idle animation and start from there your new animation which should end with that same frame. Has anyone already send him the file(s)?

• 3 weeks later...
I believe it's good to try and make this just happen naturally if possible - the fact that you move your person up against the wall should give you a lightgem bonus, and mappers should be careful to place patrol points and hallway widths that you can let them slip by you without bumping into you, if that's what they want to allow.

Yeah, one thing I like about how the light radiuses work is that you (an author) tend to run them up to the wall, so there's a nice fall off right at it and you get this effect naturally. Also crouching gives a lightgem bonus, so it accomplishes the same goal with what's already there.

(Not sure why I'm suddenly posting this 3 weeks later, lol).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.